Wac Will Come Calling Again

UNTflyer

As far as the history lesson on the Big West/WAC, I should also point out that the Big West does still exist for all sports except football. When the Big West decided to drop football, the member schools joined the WAC. When the SBC formed, NT, New Mexico St, and Utah St joined. I think NMSU and USU wen't indy for a year after the Big West dropped football. a couple of years later NMSU and USU backstabbed the SBC, after committing to the SBC, and bolted for the WAC. I don't blame them for joining the WAC, just thought it was sorry to leave after the conference meeting where all the schools committed to the SBC.

Anyways, just dropping some knowledge on ya :thumbsu:

• Upvote 1

Bottom line the WAC has Reinvented itself many times over and each time it has helped programs become household names. The ability to put your program on ESPN and get access to casual fans that otherwise wouldn't recognize your program is A powerful marketing tool. Also being able to tell recruits they will getto play on ESPN is also a powerful recruiting tool. Does the SBC have a television deal with anyone? Not bashing reall asking. I respect the UNT program but when the other Non-AQ teams in Texas get to tell their recruits you'll get to play on ESPN against our Conference Rival and UNT has nothing to counter, it's going to be tough to compete. JMO.

We'll take our chances! :lol: TXST_CAT, I like your persistence, though. :thumbsu:

Seriously, even as a SBC school we still have the best destination bowl for our champion with the New Orleans Bowl and the 'Belt had 3 teams in bowls this year. The SBC is no Big 12 but does meet our purposes for now.

When we were winning, we had superb TV coverage here in the North Texas Metroplex which is knocking at the door of 7,000,0000 population--a larger population center than several of the western WAC states added together. Teams in the SBC who are in their losing cycle don't get much TV coverage but that is why we made a coaching change.

Surely you would understand our want to go up the NCAA conference ladder than merely just making what most would see as a lateral move or even a step down sort of move? If UNT goes west, many of us would prefer the MWC and albeit that is a crap shoot at the moment, we don't rule out other things for our future conference-wise, too.

UNT was where you guys are now going on 40 years ago and we just don't want to start all over (and many think the present WAC make-up would do just that).

Our new stadium even has some of our collegiate neighbors making some well placed barbs at us which means they have more than just noticed what we have going on in Mean Green Country and at the Mean Green "olympic style" Village. Funny how Fouts Field never seemed to make any of those schools ever feel we would ever be a threat to their domain, but as Dylan wrote the times they are a-changin'.

There are some schools in CUSA and MWC who would be happy to have a combination of our (finished) football stadium and a basketball venue like the fabulous 10,000+ seats Super Pit on their campuses as their "1-2" punch major athletic facilities (and especially with all that "ready to build even more venues" real estate surrounding all our existing ones in the Mean Green Village).

I digress but that is only by habit.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

All our UNT leaders have to say to Benson is: "Do not call again." (Pretty plain and simple it seems to me).

GMG!

I say, leave the door open, ever so slightly. Let him keep calling. What's wrong with "Not right now" as an answer? With where we are now, options are nice.

Now, if Benson gives us a now-or-never ultimatum, then RV can say, "I guess this is goodbye then."

I say, leave the door open, ever so slightly. Let him keep calling. What's wrong with "Not right now" as an answer? With where we are now, options are nice.

Now, if Benson gives us a now-or-never ultimatum, then RV can say, "I guess this is goodbye then."

Actually, the WAC already said "now or never" at least twice. Yet they keep coming back. This is at least the fourth time Benson has begged.