Nt Has Interest In Dallas Carter's Phillip Miller...dmn

Buford_Julep

I didn't see any info on Miller. Is he a center, forward, point, or two guard?

From the article.

Miller also scored 54 points in a game last month, and he has had games of 64, 43, 41, 39 and 36 points. Three times, he has outscored the opposing team by himself. For the season, the 6-1 guard is averaging an area-best 32.3 points.
  • Upvote 1

Would love to hear from Cooley, Scrappy03, HoopmanX, or anyone else who has seen this guy play.

I wonder if he is just interested in UNT, or if he is actually being recruited? If he is being recruited, I wonder if he has an offer?

No offer as of 2 weeks ago. Houston,UNT & Tarleton State were the 1st 3 schools to recruit him. Only averaged something like 5 - 7 points a game in AAU for TX Bluechips

Would love to hear from Cooley, Scrappy03, HoopmanX, or anyone else who has seen this guy play.

I wonder if he is just interested in UNT, or if he is actually being recruited? If he is being recruited, I wonder if he has an offer?

Saw Miller twice (Carter) during the recent Dallas ISD Coca-Cola after Christmas tournament. One game was against UNT signee Trey Norris’ South Grand Prairie Warriors in which he quietly scored about 24. He scored about 38 in the other game,

Archived link: http://www.ihigh.com/dallasisd/broadcast_141501.html?silverlight=1

Miller is a 6-1 combo guard (southpaw). As pointed out in the article, he really does not hog the ball and scores in the flow of the game. He is clearly the best player on a very bad Carter team. Has a killer crossover and can shoot with the best of them (NBA 3-point range) Obviously, Miller is a scorer. His points comes from all over the court. Finishes drives to the lane extremely well. Can hurt you in every phase of the game, Seems to be a very intelligent player and plays under control. Great success story as he has worked extremely hard to garner the attention he is getting. He is not a high major; thus I don’t expect Baylor to show serious interest.

From UNT’s perspective, I’m not sure he provides anymore than what Chris Jones (if eligible)will provide. Jones, in my opinion, could put up huge numbers as well but has to share the back court with Tech signee Toddrick Gotcher and 2-3 other talented guards.

In hindsight, I’m sure JJ is kicking himself with the signing of Brandon Walton of Casper Wyoming JUCO. Despite leading the state in scoring, Miller will continue to get better. Walton, not so much.

Maybe JJ can find a way to make the numbers work! I would love to have Miller on my team but we need 1 or 2 talented big men in a bad way.

What the hell, let’s sign him!

Starters

PG – Chris Jones, FR

SG – Phillip Miller (Open scholarship) FR

SF - Jordan Williams FR

PF – Kendrick Hogan SR

C - (Open Scholarship) JR

2nd Team

PG – Trey Norris FR

SG – Alzee Williams, SO

SF - Jacob Holman, JR

PF – Forrest Robinson, FR

C - Ben Knox, RS JR

3rd Team

PG – Walk on

SG - Transfer (Sitting out)

SF - Walk on

PF - Alonzo Edwards, SR

C - Transfer (Sitting out)

Saw Miller twice (Carter) during the recent Dallas ISD Coca-Cola after Christmas tournament. One game was against UNT signee Trey Norris South Grand Prairie Warriors in which he quietly scored about 24. He scored about 38 in the other game,

Archived link: http://www.ihigh.com/dallasisd/broadcast_141501.html?silverlight=1

Miller is a 6-1 combo guard (southpaw). As pointed out in the article, he really does not hog the ball and scores in the flow of the game. He is clearly the best player on a very bad Carter team. Has a killer crossover and can shoot with the best of them (NBA 3-point range) Obviously, Miller is a scorer. His points comes from all over the court. Finishes drives to the lane extremely well. Can hurt you in every phase of the game, Seems to be a very intelligent player and plays under control. Great success story as he has worked extremely hard to garner the attention he is getting. He is not a high major; thus I dont expect Baylor to show serious interest.

From UNTs perspective, Im not sure he provides anymore than what Chris Jones (if eligible)will provide. Jones, in my opinion, could put up huge numbers as well but has to share the back court with Tech signee Toddrick Gotcher and 2-3 other talented guards.

In hindsight, Im sure JJ is kicking himself with the signing of Brandon Walton of Casper Wyoming JUCO. Despite leading the state in scoring, Miller will continue to get better. Walton, not so much.

Maybe JJ can find a way to make the numbers work! I would love to have Miller on my team but we need 1 or 2 talented big men in a bad way.

What the hell, lets sign him!

Starters

PG Chris Jones, FR

SG Phillip Miller (Open scholarship) FR

SF - Jordan Williams FR

PF Kendrick Hogan SR

C - (Open Scholarship) JR

2nd Team

PG Trey Norris FR

SG Alzee Williams, SO

SF - Jacob Holman, JR

PF Forrest Robinson, FR

C - Ben Knox, RS JR

3rd Team

PG Walk on

SG - Transfer (Sitting out)

SF - Walk on

PF - Alonzo Edwards, SR

C - Transfer (Sitting out)

I am hopeful to see Edwards on the second team next year. Actually, I hope he finds his comfort/confidence zone and becomes a strong starter next year.

Edited by Travis

The word I am getting on him is he improved a lot and is a good scorer, however he is not a guy that will be an impact type of player on our team. A lot of his big scoring games came against lessor competition, for instance his biggest scoring game was against Thomas Jefferson who is really bad this year. Anyway - I would prefer we look towards signing a big juco. All of the good big high school players are taken at this point to my understanding. Too bad we missed out on the Texas transfer who ended up signing with SMU.

Too bad we missed out on the Texas transfer who ended up signing with SMU.

Not necessarily.

What's the best way to get over missing out on a 6'6" guard that ESPN had ranked 53rd and Rivals had ranked 67th in the country in the class of 2009?

Could it be bringing in the 6'5" guard that ESPN had ranked 44th and Rivals had 58th the same year?

EDIT: Especially when you consider that Player A bailed out just days after swearing he wasn't going anywhere, leaving because he wanted to be a star and leaving his team at the start of the season, while Player B has tried to make the best of a reserve role, hustling hard in every chance he gets on the floor and would only be leaving because his team is practically pushing him out of his scholarship?

Edited by TheTastyGreek
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not necessarily.

What's the best way to get over missing out on a 6'6" guard that ESPN had ranked 53rd and Rivals had ranked 67th in the country in the class of 2009?

Could it be bringing in the 6'5" guard that ESPN had ranked 44th and Rivals had 58th the same year?

EDIT: Especially when you consider that Player A bailed out just days after swearing he wasn't going anywhere, leaving because he wanted to be a star and leaving his team at the start of the season, while Player B has tried to make the best of a reserve role, hustling hard in every chance he gets on the floor and would only be leaving because his team is practically pushing him out of his scholarship?

Who would this be

Not necessarily.

I like what I am hearing from you!

For what it is worth I heard that player A was facing All American competition at UT and was not factoring in to the level that he had hoped to. I am sure this is something that happens all of the time there with the caliber of players they are bringing in year after year.

In hindsight, I’m sure JJ is kicking himself with the signing of Brandon Walton of Casper Wyoming JUCO. Despite leading the state in scoring, Miller will continue to get better. Walton, not so much.

Walton is leading Casper with nearly 16 points a night...shooting 38% from the field, 36% from three, 78% from the line...4.5 boards, 2.2 assists and 1.5 steals a night. I don't think he's a slouch.

Walton is leading Casper with nearly 16 points a night...shooting 38% from the field, 36% from three, 78% from the line...4.5 boards, 2.2 assists and 1.5 steals a night. I don't think he's a slouch.

This number could stand to go up a little... I take it he's pretty much a jump shooter?

If so, and he hits over 1/3 of his 3pt shots, I wonder if Johnny sees a role for him like he had with McCoy?

This number could stand to go up a little... I take it he's pretty much a jump shooter?

If so, and he hits over 1/3 of his 3pt shots, I wonder if Johnny sees a role for him like he had with McCoy?

No question the percentages could go up...but he's one of two players on Casper averaging double figures, the other is just over 10ppg, so Walton is clearly the go to guy and as such has to shoot more.

My opinion, JJ sees Walton as experience insurance at the 1 or the 2. Walton, Jones and Alzee...and now potentially(?) Miller are all combos and capable on or off the ball. Throw in Norris at the 1...and then (please, God) Nolan Dennis at the 2 and you have a potentially very versatile backcourt

• 6 months later...