Denton Record Chronicle Ad That Runs 6 Days A Week.

FirefightnRick

When you go to that link (www.newnorthtexascoach.com).....this is what we list as our 2011 schedule:

Houston - September 10, 2011

Indiana - September 24, 2011

Four Sun Belt Conference

(Not Four Sun Belt Conference Games.....just Four Sun Belt Conference. In marketing....you want to be as clear as possible, right? I realize we all know what that means... will everyone? I don't know. Since we know what the four games are (FAU, ULM, WKU, and MTSU)....why not mention them...even if you don't know the dates yet?)

Edited by SUMG

WOW...General Admission tickets are $100!??? So THAT is how we are paying for the new stadium!!!! :thumbsu:

Lest anyone misunderstand...all of the current seats subscribed are general admission seats. After the seats are installed and priority points known, the seats will then be assigned.

In response to SUMG...Probably the reason that the SBC teams aren't listed is that 90% of the people in Denton don't know who they are.

• Upvote 1

South Alabama 2011 Football Scheadule.

http://www.usajaguars.com/documents/2010/12/7/2011_south_alabama_football_schedule.pdf

University of South Alabama

Football Scheduling Timeline

http://www.usajaguars.com/documents/2010/6/30/scheduling_timeline.pdf

2012 looks correct.

Edited by ValleyBoy

Gift in kind in return for advertising at athletic venues by the R-C. Curious that they will do a gift in kind and then set out to editorialize about NT athletic negatives as they perceive them.

Gift in kind in return for advertising at athletic venues by the R-C. Curious that they will do a gift in kind and then set out to editorialize about NT athletic negatives as they perceive them.

They usually have either a sharing agreement, as Drex mentioned, or it gets the non-profit rate, which is greatly reduced, or it used to be.

Just remember this about the DRC. Their sports page gives us the only consistent media coverage in the area. The rest of the local media does nothing, in comparison. I hate those editorials, too, but I recognize who they are catering to in Denton. Most people who still get that paper are old. They usually hate change and usually dislike UNT athletics immensely. Their editorial staff would even argue that the sports coverage easily balances out an editorial that is scathing to the athletic department and its needs. Trust me on this, the publisher over there is a hot head. He has let his temper dictate decisions on many occasions.

Newspapers should express their view in editorials whether popular or not. However, in the real world that is disappearing quickly as print papers struggle to even exist. Without doubt, the DRC gives NT atheltes the best coverage of any outside outlet, so any boycott or such is problematic. Yes, I do think NT supporters who subscribe should make their view known and express their desire for more balanced coverage. The DRC despite giving NT athletics good coverage also seems to delight in putting down NT sports off the sports page. I do appreciate the reporting of Vito but I think he and the newspaper did a great disservice to NT and coach Dodge by their handling of the Dodge racism allegation. The allegation did occur so I can't really fault the newspaper for printing the story. However, when all allegations were dropped as unsubstantiated; the DRC and Vito were really much too silent.

Again the DRC can editorialize all they want about the foolishness of NT athletics, but they have to expect some fallout. The stadium vs neightborhood debate reporting seems to be very one sided. Why not have a pro versus con editorial? Surely, there is someone on their staff (vito if no other) that can elaborate on the many advantages to the city of having a new stadium and successful athletic program. Actually, I find the Denia protest almost laughable, would they prefer a huge shopping center on that land. It would be perfect between the two highways. Instead of traffic concerns a few times a year for a few hours, they could deal with it daily for most of the day.

I don't know the reason for Rick's post...don't know if he's happy or not about it, but I like seeing the ads in the papers. It is about time the department starting doing some actual advertising. Now, as SUMG pointed out and as we could all argue one way or the other, are these ads the greatest ever? Probably not. Are they written and produced the best possible way? Probably not, but it's a step. I have been seeing the ads for some time and simply focused on the "good news" that UNT was actually advertising.

The DRC may not be "UNT friendly" in every article or opinion piece it writes, but it does give us the very best coverage of UNT of any outlet in the Metroplex from an academic and athletic standpoint. If all of us who do subscribe to the DRC would take it upon ourselves to write to the paper and both thank them for the coverage and point out "professionally" where they might be missing the boat in a few areas, it might actually do some good. I know that constant complaining rarely gets much done, and at times it sets up just the opposite reaction from the one those complaining the most want to see happen. So, I'll start and get the ball rolling with a note. Anyone else...remember...we might just be able to catch a few extra flies with some honey added to the stick!

It's worth a try. I do know that people check to see what type of support letter writers and those offering their "opinions" give before they decide how to respond. This goes for lots of businesses and entities, not just newspapers. So, be sure and let the DRC know that you are a subscriber within your note. It's worth a shot and only costs a 44 cent stamp, the cost of an envelope and a sheet of paper...plus a very small amount of time. Worth a shot.

The web site is bush league. Here we are asking people to buy seats, but we don't even bother to post a complete schedule. The information on the new coach is spotty as well. Wouldn't it nice to really highlight his career with pictures and video clips? There is no explanation of the difference between general admission ($100) or season tickets ($150). How many games goes the family package support, etc etc? Our sports marketing department can do better.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

South Alabama 2011 Football Scheadule.

http://www.usajaguars.com/documents/2010/12/7/2011_south_alabama_football_schedule.pdf

University of South Alabama

Football Scheduling Timeline

http://www.usajaguars.com/documents/2010/6/30/scheduling_timeline.pdf

2012 looks correct.

As far as playing a Belt schedule correct. They will play as actual members of the Sun Belt in 2013 if all proceeds according to schedule.

The web site is bush league. Here we are asking people to buy seats, but we don't even bother to post a complete schedule. The information on the new coach is spotty as well. Wouldn't it nice to really highlight his career with pictures and video clips? There is no explanation of the difference between general admission ($100) or season tickets ($150). How many games goes the family package support, etc etc? Our sports marketing department can do better.

Good Lord.

You can buy season tickets in the "General Admission" area (tail section) for $100.00

The family package costs $400.00 for the season for a family of four; two adults and two children.

Is it that difficult to figure out?

• Upvote 1

If you think the DRC should judge its stories based on who is buying advertising, then you guys have no clue how journalism works.

And if you think the athletic department should not advertise based on a few unfavorable stories, then you have no clue how marketing works.

I applaud the athletic department for doing this though I think the website could have been done a lot better.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

scan0005_365x500.jpg

Does anyone know if our AD dept supports the local paper by paying for this advertisement that runs in the DRC. And if so how much do you think it may cost?

Rick

why not one day a week in denton paper then other days in other papers. lewisville, arlington, plano, ft. worth, garland, etc?

If you think the DRC should judge its stories based on who is buying advertising, then you guys have no clue how journalism works.

And if you think the athletic department should not advertise based on a few unfavorable stories, then you have no clue how marketing works.

I applaud the athletic department for doing this though I think the website could have been done a lot better.

If you think advertising and subscriptions don't effect the newspaper's slant, then I don't think you know how capitalism works. Freedom of the press is a powerful tenet, and public opinion should have no effect on what is printed, but in reality any commercial process is ultimately dependent on its customers.

If you think posters should think and rationlize comments before making them, then you have no clue how fan message boards work.

• Upvote 4

If you think advertising and subscriptions don't effect the newspaper's slant, then I don't think you know how capitalism works. Freedom of the press is a powerful tenet, and public opinion should have no effect on what is printed, but in reality any commercial process is ultimately dependent on its customers.

I write for a newspaper that is comparable to the DRC and I promise you that advertising has NOTHING to do with what we write.

Edited by Keith7