Q & A With Mwc Commissioner Craig Thompson

MeanGreen61

EXERPTS

Q: (That said) what do you consider the MWC footprint, so to speak?

Thompson: I would think Texas is the extreme from the eastern front. I think geography plays more of a role in the MWC than maybe it does in other leagues because there is such a vast difference. There is a long way, in some regards, from here to there.

Q: Houston and Texas-El Paso are two Texas schools that have been prominently speculated upon, are they being looked at or considered (for expansion)?

Thompson: I don't think there is anybody that has been targeted at this juncture, but certainly institutions in Texas are of interest.

FULL ARTICLE

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/20101227_Strangest_6_months.html

I also picked up on the "institutions in Texas" and hoped that it meant two. That would mean that there would be a nearby travel partner and that twelve would result in greatly reduced travel costs.

I don't think that SMU or Rice would go to the MWC. The makeup will consist of nine state institutions and a federal one. They have more potential clout in CUSA. I think that we would stand a good chance of being selected primarily because of our presence in the DFW media market. Size, facilities and finally a willing commitment from our administration also help.

The MWC will still be the premier non-AQ conference even after losing TCU, Utah and BYU. It needs to retain its good television package.

EXERPTS

Q: (That said) what do you consider the MWC footprint, so to speak?

Thompson: I would think Texas is the extreme from the eastern front. I think geography plays more of a role in the MWC than maybe it does in other leagues because there is such a vast difference. There is a long way, in some regards, from here to there.

Q: Houston and Texas-El Paso are two Texas schools that have been prominently speculated upon, are they being looked at or considered (for expansion)?

Thompson: I don't think there is anybody that has been targeted at this juncture, but certainly institutions in Texas are of interest.

FULL ARTICLE

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/20101227_Strangest_6_months.html

Please God, grant me this one request and I will not say another negative thing on GMG.com....ever.

• Upvote 1

It will take a winning football program. We have a lot of things going in our favor, but I don't see us making the jump straight from 3-9 Sun Belt team to the MWC.

There are many factors in moving up in conferences. The prior year's record is just one of them. SMU and Rice both moved to CUSA with 3-8 records the year before their move.

There has to be some vision by the conference leadership to determine if the candidate is a player or merely a suit. I look at our new football staff and I know in my heart that this team will move up. They won't be 3-9 next year or in the foreseeable future unless they advance to a much stronger conference. If we were to be accepted it would likely be 2013 before we could begin league play. With this staff and two years of recruiting I'm looking for a 9-10 win season in 2012. Since the MWC would like to have a team in the DFW market for the TV package, I think that they would be pleased with the potential of North Texas and the commitment that we have made.

Lots of chatter last couple of days on twitter and message boards that the Big East will go with 12/20 model (12 for football and 20 other sports). The reports say they will add Houston and UCF. If two teams did leave CUSA, then I could see SMU and UTEP going to the MWC. I'm not sure what CUSA would do to replace UH and UCF, but I could see some negative shake out for that conference. If the Big East does expand, then we'll have some interesting movement that will impact both SMU and UNT.

Who cares, build the Sunbelt. The Belt has a legitimate chance to go 3-0 against the MAC during this Bowl Season. The Mountain didn't do anything for TCU that they couldn't have done in C-USA other than waste millions of travel money every year(that North Texas doesn't have) and distance their true fans(what few they have) from ever getting to attend away conference games.

Again, build the Sunbelt!

Rick

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 17

There are many factors in moving up in conferences. The prior year's record is just one of them. SMU and Rice both moved to CUSA with 3-8 records the year before their move.

There has to be some vision by the conference leadership to determine if the candidate is a player or merely a suit. I look at our new football staff and I know in my heart that this team will move up. They won't be 3-9 next year or in the foreseeable future unless they advance to a much stronger conference. If we were to be accepted it would likely be 2013 before we could begin league play. With this staff and two years of recruiting I'm looking for a 9-10 win season in 2012. Since the MWC would like to have a team in the DFW market for the TV package, I think that they would be pleased with the potential of North Texas and the commitment that we have made.

Perhaps above all else, what the MVC wants is to become a BCS AQ conference. TCU has become a football powerhouse, and the Big East added them to ensure they keep their AQ status. If adding TCU strengthened the Big East's BCS AQ status, losing them certainly hurt the MVC's chances at receiving an auto bid. They do not put themselves back in the hunt by adding a 3-9 team, regardless of potential. Yes, if we get to 9-10 wins in 2012 we should be a prime candidate for the MWC. But I don't look for a MWC invite until we show some bigger numbers in the W column.

Who cares, build the Sunbelt. The Belt has a legitimate chance to go 3-0 against the MAC during this Bowl Season. The Mountain didn't do anything for TCU that they couldn't have done in C-USA other than waste millions of travel money every year(that North Texas doesn't have) and distance their true fans(what few they have) from ever getting to attend away conference games.

Rick

You forgot to mention Gary Fatterson.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Who cares, build the Sunbelt. The Belt has a legitimate chance to go 3-0 against the MAC during this Bowl Season.

Wow...we will have "arrived" when we go 3-0 against the MAC. I think we could all rest easier knowing that we have achieved a 3-0 bowl record against the MAC and that it only cost us $70mm for a new stadium and a few coaches to do so.

If I missed the sarcasm in your post then please disregard this post.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Ok, read through that thread and the only mention of UNT was by an obvious UNT supporter.

So, my question is this: Why does anyone think UNT is being considered for the MWC?

I don't see it...not that just one message board thread is the end-all/be-all, but I really haven't seen much talk concerning UNT to the MWC generated by anyone other than UNT fans.

I think the focus for UNT needs to be to DOMINATE the 'Belt....in as many sports as possible. We are still WAY behind TCU, SMU, Houston, Tulsa, etc in terms of public perception. The easiest way to change that is to dominate in a weaker league. Put a few 11/12 win seasons together so that we get into the "BCS Buster" discussion as Boise, TCU, Utah and Hawaii have done. How did they do it?...by beating up on some of the weakest schedules in all of college football for 10 years. Our scheduling philosophy is there (wasn't in 2001-2004 & really, it has been for the last couple of years but we shot ourselves in the foot by hiring a HS coach) and hopefully we now have the coaching staff in place to duplicate those school's success'.

The reality of the situation is that conference invites are mostly just the same as invitations to anything else....if you have to beg, you're probably not going to get one.

• Upvote 2

Rick

you might as well be saying who cares about a new stadium, stay in fouts.

we need out of both fouts and the sunkbelt, both are dumps.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

So, my question is this: Why does anyone think UNT is being considered for the MWC?

I don't see it...not that just one message board thread is the end-all/be-all, but I really haven't seen much talk concerning UNT to the MWC generated by anyone other than UNT fans.

Message boards don't dictate much. We have a wheeler and dealer in college sports as our president, a new stadium, and an AQ level football coaching staff. Also a decent BB program.

It's not that these things guarantee our entry to anything, it's that those plus our location, plus the lack of options, make it a possibility. If the MWC wants to expand to twelve, their options are: SJSU, Idaho, NMSU, USU, La Tech, UTEP, SMU, Tulsa, Rice, Houston, Texas State-SM, UTSA, and North Texas:

• SJSU seems like they are strapped financially.
  • Idaho brings nothing that Boise doesn't, and Boise probably doesn't want them in the same conference.
  • The Lobos would shit bricks if they were in the same conference as NMSU.
  • USU is an option.
  • La Tech is too far away and even worse once you're off the plane.
  • UTEP seems to be happy with CUSA, but they could be an option. Same goes for SMU, Tulsa, and Rice.
  • Houston is banking on a Big East invite, and I don't see them leaving a conference they helped found to pretty much move lateraly.
  • TSUSM is too far behind in both sports, and UTSA doesn't have a football team. Also, adding FCS schools would look weak.
  • North Texas has been down in football, up in basketball, and has had decent attendance (for a SBC school) for a few years now.

So looking at that list, you realistically have: USU, UTEP, SMU, Tulsa, Rice, and North Texas. Assuming that there's not a lot of benefit for any of the CUSA schools in going west, then it would pretty much be down to USU and North Texas for the remaining two spots. It's not a slam dunk. All most rational people are saying is that if the MWC goes to 12, and if the CUSA schools stand pat, then we stand just as good if not better of a chance than NMSU, Idaho, and SJSU.

• Upvote 3

Please God, grant me this one request and I will not say another negative thing on GMG.com....ever.

Said it before but all this North Texas business will either drive you to the juice or religion.

Lets all act like we of North Texas ain't interested in the slightest in the Mountain West Conference so another school so near and dear to our heats will not be either, OK? :rolleyes:

GMG!

• Upvote 2

Wow...we will have "arrived" when we go 3-0 against the MAC. I think we could all rest easier knowing that we have achieved a 3-0 bowl record against the MAC and that it only cost us $70mm for a new stadium and a few coaches to do so.

If I missed the sarcasm in your post then please disregard this post.

Well, I guess it would at least show that the Belt isn't the worst league in football --- as some people think.

Yet the major thing the MAC still seems to have over the 'Belt is they have a coalition of sportswriters who will vote one of their better teams into a Top 25 poll whereas we have not been successful getting poll'sters to vote for one of our best teams in the past for a spot in the Top 25.

I think Troy would have been one of those who could have been Top 25 looking at how competitive they used to play OOC teams and I also think for the MAC and SBC its all about what you do against the better OOC teams. Not real impressive to poll voters when you come into conference play 0 & 5, 1 & 4, etc. and so forth.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Message boards don't dictate much. We have a wheeler and dealer in college sports as our president, a new stadium, and an AQ level football coaching staff. Also a decent BB program.

It's not that these things guarantee our entry to anything, it's that those plus our location, plus the lack of options, make it a possibility. If the MWC wants to expand to twelve, their options are: SJSU, Idaho, NMSU, USU, La Tech, UTEP, SMU, Tulsa, Rice, Houston, Texas State-SM, UTSA, and North Texas:

• SJSU seems like they are strapped financially.
  • Idaho brings nothing that Boise doesn't, and Boise probably doesn't want them in the same conference.
  • The Lobos would shit bricks if they were in the same conference as NMSU.
  • USU is an option.
  • La Tech is too far away and even worse once you're off the plane.
  • UTEP seems to be happy with CUSA, but they could be an option. Same goes for SMU, Tulsa, and Rice.
  • Houston is banking on a Big East invite, and I don't see them leaving a conference they helped found to pretty much move lateraly.
  • TSUSM is too far behind in both sports, and UTSA doesn't have a football team. Also, adding FCS schools would look weak.
  • North Texas has been down in football, up in basketball, and has had decent attendance (for a SBC school) for a few years now.

So looking at that list, you realistically have: USU, UTEP, SMU, Tulsa, Rice, and North Texas. Assuming that there's not a lot of benefit for any of the CUSA schools in going west, then it would pretty much be down to USU and North Texas for the remaining two spots. It's not a slam dunk. All most rational people are saying is that if the MWC goes to 12, and if the CUSA schools stand pat, then we stand just as good if not better of a chance than NMSU, Idaho, and SJSU.

That's all well and good IF that is the scenario. I just don't see much evidence that this is the scenario that the MWC is reviewing. It seems to me that it's a bunch of wishful thinking by a few UNT fans/alums simply b/c they view our current President as a mover/shaker. It's no secret that we are hot after a CUSA invite....but the MWC just seems like a reach.

That's all well and good IF that is the scenario. I just don't see much evidence that this is the scenario that the MWC is reviewing. It seems to me that it's a bunch of wishful thinking by a few UNT fans/alums simply b/c they view our current President as a mover/shaker. It's no secret that we are hot after a CUSA invite....but the MWC just seems like a reach.

Well, other things on their minds may be: Air Force scheduling, replacing the #35 and #5 DMAs with #55, #71, #108, and #112, losing recruiting opportunities in Texas, etc. These conference realignment scenarios are a million shades of gray.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

I agree that going into the MWC is a reach but it is possible. Even if the MWC only gives us the slightest glance or sniff it will be because of the Media Market in DFW. Right now DirecTV carries the Mountain for free (or at least on one of its most inexpensive tiers) for the DFW area because of TCU being a local team. Since TCU is leaving there goes DFW. The Mountain will be moved up to a higher subscription tier which means that their customer/viewing base in DFW will be severely hit. This matters because with a lower number of viewers they cant sell their spots for commercials for as much money, meaning less advertising revenue.

That is why I think the MWC will look at adding a DFW team or Houston because of the media market, they need something that they can sell to advertisers and other companies to help offset the loss of TCU.

What hurts UNT in my opinion is that we don't have any baseball. This means that for the most part our sports stop in March once basketball is over. I know that there are still some other stuff going on, such as track, but the Mountain wants to broadcast games so that they can again, sell advertising. Without baseball we don't really offer the Mountain anything to keep their viewers in spring/summer. Meaning that they will effectively loose the DFW market for over a 3rd of the year if they chose us right now. This also hurts SMU since they don't have baseball either.

That is why I think that if the MWC wants to add 2 teams from Texas, UTEP and UH will be chosen not UNT. But that's cool because that would leave a slot or two open for UNT, LaTECH and NMSU to fight over and I like our chances against those 2.

Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ok, read through that thread and the only mention of UNT was by an obvious UNT supporter.

I think the focus for UNT needs to be to DOMINATE the 'Belt....in as many sports as possible. We are still WAY behind TCU, SMU, Houston, Tulsa, etc in terms of public perception. The easiest way to change that is to dominate in a weaker league. Put a few 11/12 win seasons together so that we get into the "BCS Buster" discussion as Boise, TCU, Utah and Hawaii have done. How did they do it?...by beating up on some of the weakest schedules in all of college football for 10 years. Our scheduling philosophy is there (wasn't in 2001-2004 & really, it has been for the last couple of years but we shot ourselves in the foot by hiring a HS coach) and hopefully we now have the coaching staff in place to duplicate those school's success'.

The reality of the situation is that conference invites are mostly just the same as invitations to anything else....if you have to beg, you're probably not going to get one.

What did you glean from the article? "Texas is extreme from the eastern front" and "institutions in Texas are of interest" says to me that there will be expansion and at least one addition will be in Texas. If he is satisfied with the ten teams as currently formed then why not just say...we are not looking to expand further?

If that is true (expansion into Texas) and North Texas is one of the five possible teams then why would we not discuss them?

Since televised games are a large part of conference revenue then why would you not want to be in the largest market in the state? That would be the #5 Dallas-Fort Worth market where SMU and North Texas are located. Would the MWC choose SMU over North Texas? Maybe, if SMU were willing. If so, that would leave a slot in CUSA, where there is currently NO opening but where we would like to be. However, I doubt that SMU has much interest in a somewhat lateral movement for them to be the only private university in the conference.

The next largest market in Texas is Houston at #10. The University of Houston would be the logical first choice but Houston also could be the first choice for two BCS conferences, the Big XII-II and the Big East. Furthermore, the MWC would be a near lateral move from a conference that they helped found. Rice seems pretty content where they are now and I'd consider them a possibility only if teamed with SMU.

UTEP is in the 98th largest market so if TV is driving the bus they would be last in line of the Texas eligibles. Historically, they haven't been that great in football but on the plus side they draw well and have had some excellent basketball and track teams. They have also been reported to be happy in CUSA (as long as there are Texas teams) and the MWC won't be that far ahead of CUSA in power ratings.

Whether other boards talk about UNT or not they should be a factor and I don't doubt that our administration is/has put our qualifications with the presidents of both the MWC and CUSA. I don't call that begging and I don't see anyone else on this board calling that begging either.

I'd like a move to the MWC. I think an invite might be contingent on UNT agreeing to add baseball, and maybe increase the athletic budget.

On a related note, another board is reporting a rumour that June Jones is interviewing for the Maryland job. If he leaves it could be a plus for North Texas when our series with SMU starts up, if they make a bad hire.