So Long To The Mean Green Club Deck?

FirefightnRick

I haven't read all nine pages of this monstrosity of a thread, but near as I can tell, it has to do with using the terrace/deck at the AC in the same manner as "the deck" at Fouts. I've been eligible to go to "the deck" for several years. I've never gone there during the game (and rarely any other time) because I just don't relate to that kind of football game experience. I drink and socialize before the game at the tailgating event. When it's time to go in and watch the game, I go and sit in the stands and WATCH THE FOOTBALL GAME THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE WATCHED. Besides, as bad as the sight lines are in the stands, they are way worse on the deck. IMHO most people go to the deck for reasons other than to attend/watch a football game....and I'm not one of those people. I like the be outside, hear the sounds of the game, and get a real feel of the game experience. I'd rather stay at home and watch a football game on TV than sit in an enclosed suite at a stadium.

All this sitting on the deck, sitting in a suite, stuff is just not me. It reminds me of this latest trend of Movie Taverns where people sit at tables in a theater and have meals served to them while they are watching a movie. If I go out to eat, I want to enjoy my meal and enjoy the company of the people who are with me. When I go to a movie, and the movie is worth watching, then I WANT TO WATCH THE DAMN MOVIE.

I don't know what that AC deck is going to be used for on game day. But if it's not used for something, it would seem to be a real waste of a nice structure IMHO.

• Upvote 1

So what I would like to know is what will the AC patio be used for? Private parties? VIPs? Will it just be closed off?

Seems to me that the patio would be a perfect replacement for the deck, and could be done with minimal cost. Like I said before, I would be willing to pay a small entry fee. As it stands today, there is no replacement for the Mean Green Deck no matter what the AD says about the club level being a perfectly reasonable alternative.

And all this talk about wanting to keep fans in their seats, I guess if you pay enough money they won't care if you spend the game in your seat or spend it at the open bar in the club. The rest of us peasants just need to learn our place.

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Downvote 1

So what I would like to know is what will the AC patio be used for? Private parties? VIPs? Will it just be closed off?

Seems to me that the patio would be a perfect replacement for the deck, and could be done with minimal cost. Like I said before, I would be willing to pay a small entry fee. As it stands today, there is no replacement for the Mean Green Deck no matter what the AD says about how the club level being a perfectly reasonable alternative.

And all this talk about wanting to keep fans in their seats, I guess if you pay enough money they won't care if you spend the game in your seat or spend it at the open bar in the club. The rest of us peasants just need to learn our place.

:notfair: Amazing sentiment. As active as you are I am surprised that you don't recognize the new Alumni pavilion as an alternative. Sorry to see you go the "rest of us peasants" route...sounds like the democrats always calling Republicans and conservatives "rich guys" who "don't care about the poor". You know how true that is, but it makes for good press and keeps the class warfare going full speed ahead. Nice.

After this post from you, I think I'll take FFR's advice and no longer read this thread. It does pain me greatly to see great fans of the Mean Green trying to make something out of nothing and throw out the "class warfare card" when nothing else seems to work. So, I'll leave it to you guys and head to other posts. FFR makes a good point, thanks.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

:notfair: Amazing sentiment. As active as you are I am surprised that you don't recognize the new Alumni pavilion as an alternative. Sorry to see you go the "rest of us peasants" route...sounds like the democrats always calling Republicans and conservatives "rich guys" who "don't care about the poor". You know how true that is, but it makes for good press and keeps the class warfare going full speed ahead. Nice.

After this post from you, I think I'll take FFR's advice and no longer read this thread. It does pain me greatly to see great fans of the Mean Green trying to make something out of nothing and throw out the "class warfare card" when nothing else seems to work. So, I'll leave it to you guys and head to other posts. FFR makes a good point, thanks.

Just had to slip some political talk in huh? Take it to the "pie for everyone" forum please. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

If we could just all be single with no dependents or be empty nesters?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

It's not "class warfare." It's actually a question of economics. They are eliminating a potential revenue stream, and for what reason? My point is that some have said eliminating the deck is good because we should be sitting in our seats watching the game. If that is the attitude of the AD as well, it seems that they see the role of big donors being much different than the rest of us. The club level and suite owners are permitted to schmooze and drink and ignore the game while the rest of us are just expected to sit in our seats and drink warm sodas and have no place inside the stadium to mingle and socialize.

I do not see the alumni pavillion as an alternative to the deck - it is outside the stadium gates with zero visibility of the playing surface. True, the deck did not have the best sight lines, but i spent many 2nd halves on the rail of the lower deck drinking a beer, chatting with friends, and watching the game. The Pavillion is going to be a great pre- and post-game gathering area, but it is not a replacement for the deck.

I am just saying that we HAVE A DECK already, a perfect setup for it. WHY NOT USE IT?! Sell access to vendors for let's say $5,000 per game. Let them charge what they want for food and drinks and keep the profits. Charge an entry fee that goes to the MGC and restrict access to Club members and guests. If the AD has plans to make money off it, that's great. But if the plan is to close it off, it seems shortsighted to me.

It's not "class warfare." It's actually a question of economics. They are eliminating a potential revenue stream, and for what reason? My point is that some have said eliminating the deck is good because we should be sitting in our seats watching the game. If that is the attitude of the AD as well, it seems that they see the role of big donors being much different than the rest of us. The club level and suite owners are permitted to schmooze and drink and ignore the game while the rest of us are just expected to sit in our seats and drink warm sodas and have no place inside the stadium to mingle and socialize.

I do not see the alumni pavillion as an alternative to the deck - it is outside the stadium gates with zero visibility of the playing surface. True, the deck did not have the best sight lines, but i spent many 2nd halves on the rail of the lower deck drinking a beer, chatting with friends, and watching the game. The Pavillion is going to be a great pre- and post-game gathering area, but it is not a replacement for the deck.

I am just saying that we HAVE A DECK already, a perfect setup for it. WHY NOT USE IT?! Sell access to vendors for let's say $5,000 per game. Let them charge what they want for food and drinks and keep the profits. Charge an entry fee that goes to the MGC and restrict access to Club members and guests. If the AD has plans to make money off it, that's great. But if the plan is to close it off, it seems shortsighted to me.

Totally agree with that sentiment. As I said before, it seems like a lot of useful space going to waste if they are not going to use it.

If we could just all be single with no dependents or be empty nesters?

Rick

There are plenty of people with kids buying club level seats. We are trying to pay-off a $78 million stadium. Alumni need to reach deeper into their pockets, just like we have asked the students to do. If you have a college degree and all you can afford is a $250 donation per year, you have bigger problems.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

To each his own, but I don't see why people go to football games and socialize on a party deck. They do it here in Jacksonville too. I go to games to watch the game. Any socializing I do is with the people around me, and even then I'm not terribly gabby.

If you enjoy schmoozing and ignoring UNT football games... maybe I could introduce you to my girlfriend. You and her could mingle and socialize while I WATCH FOOTBALL.

• Upvote 5

There are plenty of people with kids buying club level seats. We are trying to pay-off a $78 million stadium. Alumni need to reach deeper into their pockets, just like we have asked the students to do. If you have a college degree and all you can afford is a $250 donation per year, you have bigger problems.

There is a big difference between $250 a year and $4000 a year (per seat). I can afford to buy club level seats... I choose not to spend my money on such a luxury for my own reasons.

But again, my problem is not that the club level ticket holders will have a benefit the rest of us won't have. My issue is that there seems to be a different attitude of what is expected of the luxury ticket holders vs the regular seating ticket holders. My other problem is that the AD is choosing not to raise revenue by turning the AC patio into a new deck area.

By the way, didn't Rick say at the Kickoff Cookout 3 years ago (while standing on that very patio) that we would be looking out on a beautiful new stadium on game day? What happened to that dream?

If you enjoy schmoozing and ignoring UNT football games... maybe I could introduce you to my girlfriend. You and her could mingle and socialize while I WATCH FOOTBALL.

I don't. When I was on the Mean Green Deck, I watched the game AND socialized. I was on the deck when Casey Fitzgerald went 99 yards against ULM. That was a great play to see from the deck.

First off, your not preaching to me about doing my part to help. I made my stadium donation long before the club level prices even came out. Secondly, yes, we do have some who are participating who have families. In fact, on the VIP board we currently have one who went ahead and purchased two seats at the club level, not realizing until after he did it that he wont be able to get his whole family into the club level and is now trying to rearrange out of his predicament. How terrible that it would seem that we have one of our very best fans almost regretting his decision now? Third, you dont need a degree to have the common sense enough to know that $250 isnt enough to get a club level seat.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Why is it surprising to anyone that we aren't going to have a deck?

If you want to stay on the deck - it is still there. Go to Fouts on Opening day next year and drink your beer.

Otherwise, face the facts of reality. Things will change. Change is good. Prices will go up.

No one cares about a few people who want to stand on the deck at the athletic center as if that's the only place they could possibly enjoy themselves during a football game.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 6

Why is it surprising to anyone that we aren't going to have a deck?

We do have a deck. It has been there for 5 years now and has hosted numerous events. Ever been there? The view is great. In fact the view from it is so damn awesome that athletic department officials take donors and potential donors to it to hopefully encourage and inspire a gift from them. Check it out some time. I think you'll love it.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

Rick,

I tend to stop the discussion when the debate devolves into one-line sarcastic retorts.

But what you put in post 143 totally misrepresents (to be kind) the intent of my post on the "VIP" board (it used to be called the PRIVATE board, I believe).

I fully realized that I couldn't AFFORD to buy four seats on the Club level before I bought them. I bought the two that I could afford, really as a perk add-on for the level of support I wanted to provide for the stadium.

I also can't afford to buy 20 seats up there for the friends and family that often join me at the game. So we, along with those 3-4 other families, will continue to buy tickets in the family section and enjoy the game from our seats.

I have absolutely no regrets about supporting a stadium that I have been asking for since 1982, give or take a year, with my donation.

So really, I wasn't trying to "rearrange out of" my predicament.

I asked if any other fans who had bought a couple of seats would be interested in "pooling" their seats, giving up their access for some games in exchange for having more seats to some games. Thought it was a reasonable idea...guess not.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Rick,

I tend to stop the discussion when the debate devolves into one-line sarcastic retorts.

But what you put in post 143 totally misrepresents (to be kind) the intent of my post on the "VIP" board (it used to be called the PRIVATE board, I believe).

I fully realized that I couldn't AFFORD to buy four seats on the Club level before I bought them. I bought the two that I could afford, really as a perk add-on for the level of support I wanted to provide for the stadium.

I also can't afford to buy 20 seats up there for the friends and family that often join me at the game. So we, along with those 3-4 other families, will continue to buy tickets in the family section and enjoy the game from our seats.

I have absolutely no regrets about supporting a stadium that I have been asking for since 1982, give or take a year, with my donation.

So really, I wasn't trying to "rearrange out of" my predicament.

I asked if any other fans who had bought a couple of seats would be interested in "pooling" their seats, giving up their access for some games in exchange for having more seats to some games. Thought it was a reasonable idea...guess not.

GMG

And we greatly appreciate what you have done in stepping up to the plate like you did. Your obviously one of the great folks Green Jackel is talking about. But for every one of you Im willing to guess there are 100 or more others who wont follow your lead(buying two club seats AND then additional separate seats for others) for obvious reasons already discussed. I've been on the phone with 8 just this week who you would have regularly seen on the wooden deck but wont see in the club level next year. There should be an option that includes a level for those who require it, and it should be at the existing AC deck where we all thought these past five years it would be.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

I don't. When I was on the Mean Green Deck, I watched the game AND socialized. I was on the deck when Casey Fitzgerald went 99 yards against ULM. That was a great play to see from the deck.

standing on the deck watching Fitz run the opposite direction put him approximately 2.6 miles away when he crossed the goal line. You have good eye sight.

• Upvote 4

End Zone Patio

Your exclusive end zone standing area may be one of the easiest ways for you to schmooze during the game at the new stadium. Outdoor accommodations will feature slightly obstructed sight-lines for about 200 to 300 fans.

• Private stair case access
  • Slightly obstructed view from the end zone
  • Sight lines similar to the old hospitality deck
  • No protection from the elements
  • No view of the scoreboard
  • $8 to $10 catered game-day meal
  • Alcohol free zone for a family friendly area
  • No access to restrooms from the patio
  • Handicapped access available from the main entrance of the Athletic Center
  • $3 game programs

At the $250 to $500 level I can see this being a very popular option for those that aren't interested in what the Club level offers.

:notfair:

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1