So Long To The Mean Green Club Deck?

FirefightnRick

The score/video board could be raise to where the botom is 10 foot above the deck, affording plenty of viewing room. I understand the push for the club level but I think the price is too high. The donation level is fine but ability to buy ONE ticket puts it out of reach for a lot of people. Some people can't give that much so may likely not give anything unless there is some small "make me feel special" benefit to it.

Todd

I don't think it's about being priced out of any entitlements...maybe it's better to think of it as another option for a different segment of your market. I thought the Athletic Center and the "Touchdown Terrace" or whatever it was going to be called was intended to be an integral part of the stadium complex. Standing room only, overflow "seating" or something like that, but you're still part of the paid attendance and a full participant in the game day experience.

I remember being down there for the ground-breaking ceremony and thinking to myself that the AC sure was a long way away from the field/stadium. That made me a little nervous. Personally, I like the look of a structure like the AC "closing" the open end of the stadium...sort of an imposing structure that holds in crowd noise and adds to the intimacy of the stadium.

Folsom Field is a good example:

folsomField.jpg

I guess we'll have to wait for the final setup to see what we end up with. Sorry to hear that there may be a bunch of crap between the AC and the Stadium and that it won't be leveraged as a part of the overall stadium configuration. I still think our stadium is going to be awesome, but part of me wonders if I'll be looking at the south end-zone thinking what could have been.

Keith

In my opinion the video board needs to be next to the AC. Everyone will be able to see it without having to be a contortionist.

Mark has given us the solution. The Alumni Pavillion will be open before the game and they'll serve food and spirits. It should be an excellent place to congregate before the game. I think that being open during the game is overrated anyway. I went to the old deck a few times during the game and the largest crowd that I saw was maybe 50. We can stay in our seats during the game and learn to enjoy it.

Maybe gomeangreen.com members could reserve tables in the AP and visit before each game.

gallery_1_2_52628.jpg

Guys if you look at this picture, I don't know where they could put it unless they put it on the roof of the AC. To be honest that deck looks like a big screen stand but it is a shame that the AC will lose the view of the field.

This is actually a really good picture of a really nice stadium and AC complex....please don't put anything to block the view of the AC from the stadium or from the AC to the stadium/field. On the roof sounds like a perfect idea!

Keith

The scoreboard move is understandable if we want to fill the stadium. People won't want to sit in the wing or the lower bowl endzone seats if they have to keep turning around. I think the scoreboard will look great there and allow us to sell a lot of endzone seats.

Edited by UNTP1
  • Upvote 2

I'm sorry guys. I can't resist. I have to get in a good natured rib.

So I'm amused that the biggest supporters of letting the free market determine the allocation of resources are suddenly miffed when they get priced out of their entitlements (the deck).

OK. Really. Just a friendly jab on that. I did the math on those club seats, and I too fail to see the value in them. (Although I'm probably going to get pummeled for saying that, because I'm supposed to see it as a contribution to the educational opportunities of the underprivileged et al).

Anyhoo, one has to wonder about the people in their seats during the game strategy. I question if more people will physically leave the stadium periodically to refill their, um, spirits rather than taking a short walk down to the deck. I've also got to say that I always had a soft spot for the view of several hundred people hanging out on the deck during a game. It looked really cool to me.

that's my guess on what those will do, but i don't think they will just refill their cups, they just won't bother to walk back to the stadium and choose to tailgate where their drinks are free. i always took my guest there and they loved it and so did i, it saved me the trouble of having to run to my car at halftime. plus, half of the people there were people you don't want sitting next to during a tense moment in the game, because they were just there to socialize and paid no attention to the game.

i don't see why there couldn't be a deck and club level seating. how many people with club level seating only did it because of the full bar? personally, i would rather sit closer to the game and have the option to get a beer than to sit higher up and have full access to a full bar. flasks will definitely be a big player in the 2011 season. this really disappoints me and takes away one of my reasons for donating at my current level.

The scoreboard move is understandable if we want to fill the stadium. People won't want to sit in the wing or the lower bowl endzone seats if they have to keep turning around. I think the scoreboard will look great there and allow us to sell a lot of endzone seats.

Will there not be other mini-scoreboards for anyone sitting in any seat inside that stadium to have a good visual?

We can't allow a freakin' scoreboard to be a pink elephant in this stadium. What happened on the planning part of this that there is such a 180 degree turn on this so suddenly?

Addendum Question: Wherever they put it, will it be a High Def screen because I know many out there are not.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

Yes, if you purchase one seat at the Club Level for a minimum of $1475.

Rick

I was told that the $3,125 donation covers your $500 donation for the first 5 years. So really it is $650 per year ($3,125/5 years) + $350 for tickets for an even $1,000 per seat, per year. After that it is $850 per year ($500 + $350). If you had been donating $500 per year + $125 for season tickets your were paying $625 per year + the cost of food/non-alcoholic drinks that are included in the club level. I think donating $850 - $1,000 per year to the program is reasonable, especially since most of it is tax-deductible. Now if you bring your whole family to every game then I could see how club seating could be outside of some people's budgets. But that is why there are only 700 seats versus 30,000 regular seats.

I've been a MGC member for 5 yrs now, and I've never visited the deck. I'm not a beer guy, so flask has been SOP since I was a student.

The deck just never held that much appeal to me, my seats were better for watching the game, I met up with anyone I wanted to in the Blue Parking lot at the Bus.

I chalked up the $500 MGC donation as a way to get great parking and the cost to be the boss.

At 31, with a 2 yr old and another due in Feb, and living in Florida right now, it totally makes Club level out of my reach, but trust, I'll be working my rear off for the next 5 years to come up with the $6K for the wife and I's 2 club level seats for when we return to the metroplex.

I'll be purchasing a paver stone, re-upping my Alumni membership, MGC membership and grabbing 2 season tickets to the lower bowl, even though I'll be there for 1 game for sure.

And who would've thought there'd be so much debate on the Scoreboard set-up... too funny. If you put it behind the wing, then you detract from the appeal the stadium has from I35, you know our marketing machine.

I agree though, I thought the view from the AC to the stadium was going to be classy, all good, I'll be there in Sept, loving every second of it, enjoying the 15 concession stands and trying to use every toilet in the stadium.

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 7

I was told that the $3,125 donation covers your $500 donation for the first 5 years. So really it is $650 per year ($3,125/5 years) + $350 for tickets for an even $1,000 per seat, per year. After that it is $850 per year ($500 + $350). If you had been donating $500 per year + $125 for season tickets your were paying $625 per year + the cost of food/non-alcoholic drinks that are included in the club level. I think donating $850 - $1,000 per year to the program is reasonable, especially since most of it is tax-deductible. Now if you bring your whole family to every game then I could see how club seating could be outside of some people's budgets. But that is why there are only 700 seats versus 30,000 regular seats.

It does not. $3,125 is a one-time, contribution. It doesn't cover your mandatory $500 MGC donation. it's essentially a seat license, without calling it that.

And only 80% of your one-time contribution can be written off.

So for 1 season tickets in cheapest club level you're looking at per year for the first 5 yrs:

$650 (One time donation broken out over 5 yrs)

$350 Cost of Season Ticket

$500 Min MGC donation

That's 1500, for 6 home games, or roughly $250 per game, for one seat. That's a little too rich for my blood, right now at least, but I love the fact it's already 1/3 sold, I think the AD has to feel ahead of schedule on that front... Did anyone honestly expect them to sell out the club level seating options?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm sorry guys. I can't resist. I have to get in a good natured rib.

So I'm amused that the biggest supporters of letting the free market determine the allocation of resources are suddenly miffed when they get priced out of their entitlements (the deck).

If a restaurant who had loyal patrons suddenly upgraded from hamburgers to above-average filet mignon, overpriced it like it was caviar, and as a result reduced their sales by 2/3, that is certainly their right in the free market.

But it seems that it is a foolish move. As I said in my post, if we were a big time school and we knew we were going to sell all those seats at X price, then by all means do it. What irks me is that the sales are obviously NOT going well, they are now recruiting volunteers to help sell seats, and oh, by the way, we're taking away a benefit you used to have because we want you to pay a lot more and stay in your seats. OK, I'll buy my seats and will adapt and this will all be forgotten, but for now I'm annoyed by it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

If a restaurant who had loyal patrons suddenly upgraded from hamburgers to above-average filet mignon, overpriced it like it was caviar, and as a result reduced their sales by 2/3, that is certainly their right in the free market.

But it seems that it is a foolish move. As I said in my post, if we were a big time school and we knew we were going to sell all those seats at X price, then by all means do it. What irks me is that the sales are obviously NOT going well, they are now recruiting volunteers to help sell seats, and oh, by the way, we're taking away a benefit you used to have because we want you to pay a lot more and stay in your seats. OK, I'll buy my seats and will adapt and this will all be forgotten, but for now I'm annoyed by it.

No, they are not. They are getting volunteers to help with MGC donations. If someone wants seats to the football games, all the better. If someone wants club seats, all the better still. It is about Mean Green Club membership, not ticket sales.

No, they are not. They are getting volunteers to help with MGC donations. If someone wants seats to the football games, all the better. If someone wants club seats, all the better still. It is about Mean Green Club membership, not ticket sales.

I stand corrected. I thought I had read they were asking these volunteers to help sell tickets in addition to joining the Club.

Actually the cheapest club seat (Silver) comes out to $1475 per year. For two people, that's just shy of $3000. I get it, and it's fine - I have no problem with the club level pricing. It's the fact the deck is being taken away and the AD's explanation is that the Club level is now your deck. The deck at Fouts was open to ALL MGC members no matter what your donation level.