Sun Belt Basketball Attendance

Mean Green Matt

I had some free time the other morning so I decided to make a spreadsheet for calculating the basketball attendance averages for the Sun Belt teams. The averages only count "true" home games, and not attendance for tournament games played at neutral sites. We are in second place averaging over 3,600, but are nearly 1,000/game behind WKU. If anyone wants this excel spreadsheet, just send me a PM with your e-mail.

gallery_6857_13_16747.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

That sucks for them. Quality product that nobody's watching.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=469704

One of my thoughts on attendance and capacity is the perception of it.

Lets say FAU keeps winning and attendance winds up averageing 2200. That would still be 4th worst in the 'Belt in terms of actual seats sold, (according to the chart above) but would represent 81% capacity equaling a packed,rocking arena.

Do people take the capacity into consideration when looking at attendance in a "good or bad" light?

I personally would consider it a HUGE improvement if FAU manged to average 1500 per game. South Florida just isnt a basketball kind of town, especially if you arent winning and winning big. Canes dont draw squat for basketball and they play an ACC schedule.

Edited by OwlFamily

Lets say FAU keeps winning and attendance winds up averageing 2200. That would still be 4th worst in the 'Belt in terms of actual seats sold, (according to the chart above) but would represent 81% capacity equaling a packed,rocking arena.

Do people take the capacity into consideration when looking at attendance in a "good or bad" light?

I personally would consider it a HUGE improvement if FAU manged to average 1500 per game. South Florida just isnt a basketball kind of town, especially if you arent winning and winning big. Canes dont draw squat for basketball and they play an ACC schedule.

If FAU could average 2,200 I don't think people (at least people in Sun Belt) would think that is bad attendance (especially with small capacity). I do think FAU will always look bad because I think most people assume arenas hold at least 5,000 people. So even at 100% capacity FAU will seem bad at first glance. To me why it seems bad right now is that FAU might be best team but the attendance is last.

Didn't mean that as a slight to the FAU fans that are turning out. I've been impressed with FAU's play so far this year. Hopefully your fanbase will respond even better once the new year is here and conference play is upon us. That's typically been the case for us here in the past decade.

I read your post on the SBC forum and believe me, North Texas fans can relate to winners town mentality. Florida and Texas are very similar in that regard. DFW is a mecca for front runners. It's taken years of quality product on the floor here at NT to get basketball attendance back to respectable levels.

According to their website "The Burrow" seats 5,000...

So 2200 wouldn't be 81%...

Am I missing something...??

back out texas tech and we are back to our 3,000 average attendance, which is poor considering our record. if fact, its not very good even when you include the tech game. what does it take for a university of 38,000 to support a winning program? if only 1% of students attended we would have a base to build on. i just don't get it. if i'm j.j., i'm out of here 1st chance i get.

• Downvote 1

back out texas tech and we are back to our 3,000 average attendance, which is poor considering our record. if fact, its not very good even when you include the tech game. what does it take for a university of 38,000 to support a winning program? if only 1% of students attended we would have a base to build on. i just don't get it. if i'm j.j., i'm out of here 1st chance i get.

The biggest thing to first understand is Texas supports football first and foremost. Basketball is a distant afterthought for many Texans. Sad but true.

I do hope that students come out en mass for the conference games once they get back on campus. I want to make the Pit as inhospitable as possible.

Edited by UNTFan23

my bad. i meant 10%. also, baylor had over 10,000 for a womens bb game in football country.

You know how it is. The Big XII teams draw well because they play well-known teams. We don't get those teams here normally, so when we do, we draw much better. But when we are playing F_U, UL_,Denver, etc..those temas don't resonate with the students or the casual fan. It sjust the reality that we have always dealt with here and probably will going forward for quite a while as a member of the SBC.

Didn't mean that as a slight to the FAU fans that are turning out. I've been impressed with FAU's play so far this year. Hopefully your fanbase will respond even better once the new year is here and conference play is upon us. That's typically been the case for us here in the past decade.

I read your post on the SBC forum and believe me, North Texas fans can relate to winners town mentality. Florida and Texas are very similar in that regard. DFW is a mecca for front runners. It's taken years of quality product on the floor here at NT to get basketball attendance back to respectable levels.

None taken! ;)

I would be thrilled if FAU averaged 1500 to be honest. The team is playing well and the students are getting involved.

I just know that even if we sold out people would still say attendance blows because its only 2700. The Burrow would be rocking if we could get 2200 or more in there. Ive heard that place get so loud with only 1500+ or so in it that I cant imagine what it would sound like with 2000+.

If Jarvis keeps doing what he has been doing, I think FAU could be quite good for a while. He seems like a great coach.