Excitement

FloMoGrad

Granted, my history as a UNT fan is rather brief in the grand scheme of things, but from 99-present, have we ever had more to be excited about as UNT football fans?

The 26 game conference streak? The bowl games? The Big 12 upsets over Tech and Baylor? The year we had two national rushing champions returning to play in the same backfield?

Breaking news reports from Subway? Wait, scratch that last one.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The 26 game conference streak? The bowl games? The Big 12 upsets over Tech and Baylor? The year we had two national rushing champions returning to play in the same backfield?

Breaking news reports from Subway? Wait, scratch that last one.

Not discounting any of the above, but even as a student, there was very little excitement for the conference streak. The win over Tech was a huge moment, but not something that fostered long term excitement and Baylor was terrible when we beat them. I'm not saying this is our biggest moment, or greatest period of time, just saying that I've never been more excited about the direction and shape our entire football program is taking. The year we had two national rushing champions returning to play in the same backfield we also still had no passing attack and nothing other than 2 players to get excited about, if I'm not mistaken (Scott Hall). Lance may not have a rushing title to his name, but is there a more exciting RB to watch? Dude consistenly puts up solid #'s in a pass first offense. We also proceeded to go 2-9 that year and 3-8 the next year, ending our conference streak and seasons of winning football... I don't remember being excited or as optimistic then as I am now.

• Upvote 1

What's very encouraging and wonderful for the UNT program is that phrases like building competitive facilities, hiring the right people, allocating a competitive budget are no longer empty words, but have been delivered, and are now reality.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 3

What's very encouraging and wonderful for the UNT program is that phrases like building competitive facilities, hiring the right people, allocating a competitive budget are no longer empty words, but have been delivered, and are now reality.

That's exactly why this excitement is different. You can feel all of this building. Facilities and salaries are all headed in the right direction. It's now more than a pipe dream that UNT could actually take that next step.

Not discounting any of the above, but even as a student, there was very little excitement for the conference streak.

Speak for yourself

No players got me more amped for the game than Booger, Buckles, Jones, Cobbs and Co.

My friends and I were 10x mire giddy during the streak and bowl games. Heck, still get chills remembering Galbraith converting 1st downs to seal the Cinci win.

Until McCarney is winning games, this is nothing more than a splash hire.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm way more excited now than I was during the conference win streak, because at the time I still didn't see us getting any better than the level we currently were. I loved the streak and the bowl win, but we failed to compete outside of the Sun Belt, our facilities were garbage, and we still had no real sign of commitment from the administration.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm way more excited now than I was during the conference win streak, because at the time I still didn't see us getting any better than the level we currently were. I loved the streak and the bowl win, but we failed to compete outside of the Sun Belt, our facilities were garbage, and we still had no real sign of commitment from the administration.

+1

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This post is the winner. Those years were defined by our domination of the Belt and going to the NO Bowl. All of those were great, especially considering how pitiful we were before and after this stretch. But most people looked at that time as this was the best we could do with our facilities and our salary restraints for coaches. We played in a toilet of a stadium and really never showed much in OOC games, with the exception of a few. If we had beaten TCU or Arizona or Air Force, it would have gotten some more attention here. But we lost to South Florida twice and Florida Atlantic OOC during our bowl run, so that always clouded things for most fans and media.

No disrespect to anyone who see's this current time as being greater than our bowl years. But if that is so, then I suspect you were not around during the 1-AA, 1-A independent and Big West years. Because I and the rest here who were can tell you, once we got RV here and he started to open up the door to spirit/tailgating etc..., and we routed Baylor and then beat the C-USA co-Champions on National TV and read in Dave Campbell's Texas Football that North Texas was "getting the most done with the least than any other program in Texas" that most thought we were finally on our way.

Rick

• Upvote 3

No disrespect to anyone who see's this current time as being greater than our bowl years. But if that is so, then I suspect you were not around during the 1-AA, 1-A independent and Big West years. Because I and the rest here who were can tell you, once we got RV here and he started to open up the door to spirit/tailgating etc..., and we routed Baylor and then beat the C-USA co-Champions on National TV and read in Dave Campbell's Texas Football that North Texas was "getting the most done with the least than any other program in Texas" that most thought we were finally on our way.

Rick

Yes...well stated!

Rick

I was around for 1-AA and the Big West Days. In fact, that's when I was in school and went to every game. Even during the run, you could look at the bowl win against the Bearcats as the absolute highest high the program had. And that's how I felt at the time. Tailgaiting is great, but it's nothing like real coaching salaries and a new stadium. I have serious doubts that MOST of any group thought we were on our way to anything significant playing in the Sun Belt without competitive salaries for coaches and poor facilities. There's a big college football world out there, and we are just now scratching at the surface of having a real program.

• Upvote 1