Super Pit 2

jimmyjames_99

We could never get the UNT Hockey club to turn varsity NCAA compliant because to be considered NCAA you have to have the rink on campus.

The Super Pit never took into consideration of the future and there could never be a hockey team on campus until they built a new coliseum.

The hockey team has to travel to Irving and Frisco to play home games.

I have been to a couple of games and they are pretty good. One of the best in Texas.

Someone mentioned that the Coliseum could not be upgraded due to the shear cost that would need to be sunk in just to bring it up to ADA compliance. Seems a reasonable argument.

With the new stadium going in, what are the next upgrades and is there a new basketball arena in the works? I assume a track is the very next, so that Fouts can be completely torn down. Then maybe a baseball field, assuming that a men's soccer team could use the same fields as the women's?

Don't get me wrong, I like the Pit. I think it's a great place to watch basketball. Just wondering aloud...

The SuperPit is a great facility and we are lucky to have it. I expect it to last another 40 years, and it's easily upgraded to the things we want. UTA is spending what we are for our football stadium ($78 mil) for an arena that will only hold about 6000, and being multi-purpose some seats are not even permanent.

I think the Pit must be ADA compliant as you can ramp all the way from the east side street into the arena and there are wheelchair spaces at a couple locations on the east side mid-level. If they want access to the lower level/floor there is a ramp on the north side of the Pit where you enter to come to the green room/under arena or floor.

The biggest issue with the Pit as mentioned is scheduling for athletics vs. university events. The school could use another event-type facility for conferences, speakers, robots, etc. - a multi-purpose building.

it would be nice if they could paint the awning green and paint a huge logo on the roof since so many planes fly over it daily.

I posted a nearly identical suggestion (along with large, visible signage on the building's exterior) some weeks ago the last time Pit improvements were being discussed. RGreen and I will happily split the royalties when this is implemented.

The Coliseum was built as a multi-use building. If it were strictly an Athletic Department building, only private monies could be used.

With the exception of the Robotics competition mentioned earlier, the Coliseum or Super Pit works out well for NT Basketball. It's also the venue for countless high school graduations in May. It's seating capacity is just under 10,000. 9,885 I think.

Replace it ? Not in my lifetime. And I'm going to live a long time.

The Coliseum was built as a multi-use building. If it were strictly an Athletic Department building, only private monies could be used.

With the exception of the Robotics competition mentioned earlier, the Coliseum or Super Pit works out well for NT Basketball. It's also the venue for countless high school graduations in May. It's seating capacity is just under 10,000. 9,885 I think.

Replace it ? Not in my lifetime. And I'm going to live a long time.

Its capacity is over 10,000. Different numbers are thrown around. I think the official is 10,040, although on the basketball program it says 10,500. I'm not sure how old you are, but in the next 10 years I think we will see a new arena, or at least a completely redone super pit, with things like luxury suites added. The Pit is a great venue, but lacks some "extras" like suites that even a couple Sun Belt arenas have. Diddle (WKU) and the Mitchell Center (USA) come to mind as venues with those "extras."

Why even think about building another when you can't fill it up and it's not falling down?

That's what those who were against replacing Fouts Field said. But I love the super pit. The aforementioned upgrades would be nice.. Plus a better sound system. And add lasers ... Yea lasers!

I'll be stunned if we have a new arena in 10 years Matt. Not do I think we need one - it matches up well with other college arenas I have been in. USC opened up the Galen Center about 4 years ago, I and I like the SuperPit just as much.

I don't necessarily mean a brand new arena. It could happen, but it would take lots of donations. I just think to stay competitive in recruiting and facilities, it needs to add some extra amenities, like the adding of luxury suites, maybe a basketball version of the club level, getting rid of those gosh darn press rows that take up premium seating...stuff like that. I love the super pit, I just think it needs a little more work than a couple new scoreboards and a paint job. I may be wrong. Duke seems to get by with Cameron Indoor, but then again they are Duke.

By the way, it is funny you mention the Galen Center. I have seen pictures of that in the past and thought it looked like an amazing facility. I'm thrilled you think the Super Pit is on that level.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

Other than the scoreboard hanging from the top of it, I'd say it's just as good. Well, maybe not the bowels of the facility as i got a tour through that shortly after it opened and was most impressed. But as far as concourses, watching a game, sight lines, etc - I think the SuperPit ranks very well. Dare I say more concourse room? Pauley Pavilion across town has almost no concourses to speak of (which they are currently changing in part of a huge renovation project) actually - but that place is just dripping with history it almost doesn't matter.

i don't think a new super pit is necessary yet. however, i think they could do some renovations to it. the wood at the top of that stands looks very old. it reminds me of where Jackie Moon would play. covering that up with some murals or pictures might look nice. and the way the wood on the court that says "north texas" is lighter than the rest of the court could be changed as well.

The SPit is a fine facility so there should be no comparisons to Fouts. I can see it getting some major renovations, but don't think it will be replaced in any adult fan's lifetime. One thing you have to remember at NT is that basketball at NT is not even remotely close to breaking even. The ticket revenue does not even cover the coaches salaries much less any other expenses. The point is I don't see a lot of reason to spend more money only to increase the deficit. Adding suites would add some revenue but is there really enough demand for even a long payoff of those construction fees. NT also has the problem of the non-athletic ownership of the facility. How do you justify funds for private suites at a multi-use building? There is also an issue of can you use athletic fees for a non-athletic facility. If NT could maintain an attendance average better than 5,000 and have a season ticket base of 2,000 then improvements would be much easier to justify.

As far as a center scoreboard, why can't they put up what they had before. A video screen would be nice, but I would just like to see the score and time without bending my neck and losing all vision of the game.

Only possiblility I see is stretching the fee to pay on the stadium longer to continue getting that income. After several years of 10% increases, we get to a point we need to spend the money on something and divert the minimum to the stadium. I would rather see UNT spend that money on higher coaching salaries. I think the pit is fine with some of the upgrades mentioned.

You can't buy wins, there is still something called a game that has to be played on the field.