Show Your Cards

Eagle-96

There are many camps on the board right now: Pro Canales Anti Canales Pro Campaigning Anti Campaigning Pro coordinator Pro head coaching experience Anti coach with baggage Let's lay it out there: 1. Who or what type of coach is your top choice right now. 2. Will you raise or lower your level of support(money, time, tickets etc...) based on who we hire. 1. I really want someone with previous head coaching experince as it is so much different from coordinating. A head coach is more like the CEO or administrator at the college level. I would lean towards Leavitt or Fran as they have done it before and done it at a high level. 2. I will not lower my support regardless of who we hire as I bleed green regardless of what our record or who is leading this team.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Downvote 1

Out of all the names I've seen mentioned on the board, my vote would be:

1) Mark Stoops

2) Canales

I have no idea who all we are talking to or who is even interested outside of what I've read on the board. I do not want a coach who is coming off of a scandal, nor do I want an old man that may or may not still have the fire to be a HFC at UNT.

I put Stoops over Canales simply b/c the "Stoops" name means something around these parts....to a much greater extent than maybe any other coaching family tree in this region. It's not just kids that would want to play for him, but coaches would want to work with him. Half the battle is assembling a great staff, and if we learned anything from the failed Dodge experiment I hope that is the lesson....hire the guy with the best contacts to other great assistants. From Dickey we learned that we need to PAY the assistants so we can retain some of them, and attract others if we get pillaged. Let's learn from our recent past and make those the 2 top priorities. I think everything else will start falling into place from there.

*Edit:

Forgot to answer part 2. I tend to go along with what oldguy says below...if I'm ever an uber donor (which I am not now), no one will know. For right now, though...I'd probably dig a little deeper based on the pay scale we go with for the new coaching staff. If it looks like we're finally going to get serious, that means something to me.

Edited by TIgreen01

1. I really want someone with previous head coaching experince as it is so much different from coordinating. A head coach is more like the CEO or administrator at the college level. I would lean towards Leavitt or Fran as they have done it before and done it at a high level. 2. I will not lower my support regardless of who we hire as I bleed green regardless of what our record or who is leading this team.

I pretty much align with you on 1. and 2., Eagle96, with modifications to 1. I support offering Leavitt but think Canales is ready for the job if it plays out that way. Fran is a whore...no thanks.

1. I just want a coach that wins and wins with honor, and I don't care what background he comes from. That said, the best candidate to do that would be someone with 1-A ("FBS") head coaching experience who has shown in at least two different situations that he can take a loser and transform them into a winner. If he has ever tried and failed to transform a loser into a winner, his risk factor increases exponentially. He would have preferably taken a team from a basement 1-A conference into a better conference. He would be someone who already has experienced top-notch assistants committed to following him to UNT. Also, he must have the personality and salesmanship to win recruits, donors, and new fans; and, to a lesser extent, so must his assistants. He cannot have any baggage--he needs a spotless reputation if he is to represent our school before the community, the press, and recruits. Also, he needs to be absolutely on fire to coach at UNT--he can in no way believe that he would be settling. A pretty binder would be nice, too.

2. I already give what little I can, so no hire is going to change that. As long as we do not hire a low-life, I would not lower my giving.

By the way, congrats MGTexan!

• Upvote 1

I've stated how I feel on multiple occasions, but I'll put it out here in as short a version as I can -

I will parrot what I said to RV at the game last week - he's the man and he knows more than I do on the subject - but I DO expect a process to be followed. Contact and Interview every Tier 1 (meaning success as an FBS HC, success building a program) coach available who shows ANY interest, and failing making a deal with any of those guys, you move to your Tier 2 list - a list Canales HAS to be the top of right now. Assuming a procedure like this is followed and Canales ends up being the man, I'm on board with it.

...and no - my participation in the program at the humble level I'm able to participate will not change as a result of this hire. When I'm able to give more, I will, and it won't matter who's coach.

1) I am not knowledgeable enough to provide a definitive answer for this except to say whoever it is, it will be an improvement.

2) You may solicit this information when I've

• Graduated
  • Paid off my $50,000 in student debt
  • Found gainful employment in the face of limited opportunity

Then, I will politely rebuff your questioning because I'll never tell. It's my own damn business. If I'm ever one of of those uber donors, there will be no evidence of it.

1) I am not knowledgeable enough to provide a definitive answer for this except to say whoever it is, it will be an improvement.

2) You may solicit this information when I've

• Graduated
  • Paid off my $50,000 in student debt
  • Found gainful employment in the face of limited opportunity

Then, I will politely rebuff your questioning because I'll never tell. It's my own damn business. If I'm ever one of of those uber donors, there will be no evidence of it.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough regarding question 2. My intent in the question included support overall, not just money. I have seen posts to the effect of "If we hire(insert controversial coach) I will no longer support this team" or "If we hire so and so then I am out". I take statements like that to mean that some "fans" will no longer support the team monetarily but they will simply stop supporting the team with their hearts and minds. I did not mean to offend anyone.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough regarding question 2. My intent in the question included support overall, not just money. I have seen posts to the effect of "If we hire(insert controversial coach) I will no longer support this team" or "If we hire so and so then I am out". I take statements like that to mean that some "fans" will no longer support the team monetarily but they will simply stop supporting the team with their hearts and minds. I did not mean to offend anyone.

Yeah, I misread you then. I've had the impression as of late that dollars and years and the only two factors that matter.

As for donations to a public university being public information, dammit! My plans are foiled again! That's it! I'm taking this thing private! Somebody get me Blackstone on the phone!