Unt Recruiting Class Ranked #31 In The Nation

chrisfisher

Johnny Jones and Co. did a fantastic job with recruiting. Ranked #31 in the nation and 3rd best in Texas (behind Baylor and Texas). Possibly the best ever in the history of UNT as I understand it. Press release is here.

We should make some real noise over the next few years. I just hope we can hang on to Johnny

Funny how things change. I recall a few years back many (but not me) were calling for his head because of all the close loses that seemed to swing to our opponents. My guess is that most now fear his departure.

Funny how things change. I recall a few years back many (but not me) were calling for his head because of all the close loses that seemed to swing to our opponents. My guess is that most now fear his departure.

Unless we go undefeated this season, watch how quickly those people chime back in should we lose. Hell, there's mini-panic in the exhibition thread.

We lack for a grounded-in-reality fan base.

• Upvote 1

Unless we go undefeated this season, watch how quickly those people chime back in should we lose. Hell, there's mini-panic in the exhibition thread.

I hear ya...

on another note, I was very happy to see Jones and Walton sign as I was a tad concerned that we didn't receive their LOI on signing day... but as Vito said, don't worry they are on the way - and they were...

Then aren't we like all the BCS schools in at least one respect!? We can't afford to fall behind the SMU's and TCU's of the world, we have to close the lack of reality gap!

A "grounded-in-reality fan base" is all you can find to mention? Have you looked at the attendance and donation figures the last couple of years? Folks here continue to clamour for a "big time athletic program" with big time coaches and facilities yet those same people never seem to open their wallets or come to the games in any respectable numbers.

JJ has done a fantastic job and yet attendance still lacks (looks like a HS game on most game days), season ticket sales are no where...NO WHERE...near where they should be and Mean Green Club donations are down from the prior year.

Does anyone here really think that sort of "fan base" is what is going to get JJ to stay at UNT? Really...what have you been smoking if you do? I tire of hearing all the whining on this and the football board about being "small time" when it is no secret what level of support the program gets.

I know it's not popular on this board, but until the fan base starts acting "big time" and gets that "grounded-in-reality" you mention, you will keep seeing the sort of postings you refer to in your comments.

Sorry, but it does get old sometimes. Can we have an adult conversation about this and why it is that folks want to "be big time" but aren't willing to actually help the program move to that level? It seems to me to be past time that one can no longer "let someone else" carry the load year in and year out. Even small donations add up to big dollars when you have an alumni base as large as UNT's. I think a good number of posters here on GMG.com might be shocked to see just how few people actually donate and actually buy season tickets or even single game tickets on a fairly regular basis. It really is sad the level of real support this University and this athletic program gets from its alumni base.

Someone on this board referred to me as that "rich guy who lives 8 min. from the campus" when I mentioned support and the lack thereof one time...Priceless, but a good ways from reality. I wish the "rich" part were true as I would then be able to give a considerable amount more to the program and MY university...but, alas I am just a working stiff like most of everyone else here on the board, but I do actually do what I can. What I am asking is for a lot more people to actually do what they can...and only what they can...no more, but no less, to support this program and this great university. The Mean Green needs you NOW.

Just think about it, and think about it seriously. Thanks to all who support this great university in the way that they can...whatever that may be and at what ever level. I know of some who cannot, at this time, give any money, but they give a loyt of their time. That counts BIG in my book, and I know (because they have told me) that they will donate dollars when they are able. Know what...they will.

Want to be a "Big Time" program, well, here's your chance. Time to make it so....

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A "grounded-in-reality fan base" is all you can find to mention? Have you looked at the attendance and donation figures the last couple of years? Folks here continue to clamour for a "big time athletic program" with big time coaches and facilities yet those same people never seem to open their wallets or come to the games in any respectable numbers.

JJ has done a fantastic job and yet attendance still lacks (looks like a HS game on most game days), season ticket sales are no where...NO WHERE...near where they should be and Mean Green Club donations are down from the prior year.

Does anyone here really think that sort of "fan base" is what is going to get JJ to stay at UNT? Really...what have you been smoking if you do? I tire of hearing all the whining on this and the football board about being "small time" when it is no secret what level of support the program gets.

I know it's not popular on this board, but until the fan base starts acting "big time" and gets that "grounded-in-reality" you mention, you will keep seeing the sort of postings you refer to in your comments.

Sorry, but it does get old sometimes. Can we have an adult conversation about this and why it is that folks want to "be big time" but aren't willing to actually help the program move to that level? It seems to me to be past time that one can no longer "let someone else" carry the load year in and year out. Even small donations add up to big dollars when you have an alumni base as large as UNT's. I think a good number of posters here on GMG.com might be shocked to see just how few people actually donate and actually buy season tickets or even single game tickets on a fairly regular basis. It really is sad the level of real support this University and this athletic program gets from its alumni base.

Someone on this board referred to me as that "rich guy who lives 8 min. from the campus" when I mentioned support and the lack thereof one time...Priceless, but a good ways from reality. I wish the "rich" part were true as I would then be able to give a considerable amount more to the program and MY university...but, alas I am just a working stiff like most of everyone else here on the board, but I do actually do what I can. What I am asking is for a lot more people to actually do what they can...and only what they can...no more, but no less, to support this program and this great university. The Mean Green needs you NOW.

Just think about it, and think about it seriously. Thanks to all who support this great university in the way that they can...whatever that may be and at what ever level. I know of some who cannot, at this time, give any money, but they give a loyt of their time. That counts BIG in my book, and I know (because they have told me) that they will donate dollars when they are able. Know what...they will.

Want to be a "Big Time" program, well, here's your chance. Time to make it so....

GO MEAN GREEN!

:wub:

GO MEAN GREEN!

Wow. You extracted all of that (above) from this comment: "Unless we go undefeated this season, watch how quickly those people chime back in should we lose. Hell, there's mini-panic in the exhibition thread. We lack for a grounded-in-reality fan base." I want you to go lay down and get up on the other side of the bed :-)

Edited by chrisfisher

There were maybe 3x as many people there on Wednesday night as the first exhibition game I ever went to. It's getting better, just not there yet. For whatever reason, people are far more interested in a 2-7 football team than a basketball team that stands a realistic chance of winning a tournament game or two. Only in Texas. :rolleyes:

Edited by ColoradoEagle

maybe folks just don't like basketball as much as football. that's the boat i'm in. give me a day of tailgating at a football game anyday over basketball, it's just me. it's nothing against the success of the team, but i don't care to go to many basketball games. i might make one or two a year.

to me, football gameday experience > basketball gameday expericence.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, that's what I was saying. For whatever reason, most people from Texas are 99% football, 1% everything else.

With a University of over 36000 students and a local area alumni base numbering in the hundreds of thousands, there should be plenty of basketball fans to fill that arena...or at least average 5-6,000 per game at a minimum.

People post on this board constantly about how a winning program will make the fans and students turn out for the games...REALLY?

Time for the UNT student body and alums to "make it happen". These guys deserve and have EARNED the right to play before good sized crowds at home game in and game out.

Was talking to a UNT official today, and he didn't mention Season Ticket Sale numbers, but did mention that we have sold less then 200 tickets for the Texas Tech Game Tuesday night. He did say that this is right on track with the Oklahoma State game a couple years back as far as pre-sold tickets go, and that we expect and will have a hugh walk up gate for the game, but none the less, <200 pre sold tickets to a a BIG 12 in state opponent that we have a good chance of beating is down right ridicules.

I have to say about todays game though, having the Denton ISD school kids was greatness. They were loud and really into the game. It was nice to have that kind of atmosphere for a no name opponent. The Pep Band was awesome again, and for those of you that arnt in to basketball for whatever reason you are really missing a good time.

• Upvote 1

With a University of over 36000 students and a local area alumni base numbering in the hundreds of thousands, there should be plenty of basketball fans to fill that arena...or at least average 5-6,000 per game at a minimum.

People post on this board constantly about how a winning program will make the fans and students turn out for the games...REALLY?

Time for the UNT student body and alums to "make it happen". These guys deserve and have EARNED the right to play before good sized crowds at home game in and game out.

Maybe if the athletic department advertised the game on campus students would know...they haven't done it for the first two game this season...