Hayden Fry's 1'st Recruiting Class Beat Tennessee, Houston, Et

PlummMeanGreen

Questions that our hiring authorities, ie, the holy tribunal need to answer to themselves.

...what kind of coach do we hire that can make an immediate recruiting impact even in his first recruiting season happening now as we all post?

Fry's state-wide name ID got him in recruits homes that helped him get good talent right after we signed him to a contract in December, 1972.

* And no, :rolleyes: I am not recommending we re-hire Coach Fry since he is now in his early 80's. :)

What kind of coach won't make a hill of beans worth of difference or a recruiting impact is the other side of the coin? Can we afford to have a bad class this winter that will affect us the next few years? Moreso, do we want to put a bad recruiting class together this Winter with a football program that has had 6 losing seasons in a row?

Why did a deeper well than the one we're already in?

In your heart of hearts, what kind of coach do we really need at North Texas the next 5 or so years on the eve of a new football stadium's debut that would be acceptable to the entire UNT community; not just those of us on GoMeanGreen.com? Might we of GMG.com maybe represent about .000001 of our present fan base?

Beat Troy!

GMG!

PS: Fry's 3'rd season success at North Texas was what got him a Big 10 job 3 years later IMHO. Just too bad we didn't hire Fry's recommendation to take over from him. Might success have begat success even back then? Boise has shown us all what hiring a top assistant from a winning football program, a BCS bowl program and annually Top 25 ranked football program can do.

Folks, we must start looking at the part of our football history where there was some semblance of national and even Top 20 ranked success. Is that so wrong a concept and do we really deserve less for our school and ourselves?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

WE NEED A REDUNDANT COACH WHO WILL IN AS MUCH DO WHAT IS NEEDED THEREFORE AT THE APPROPRIATE TIME SO THAT TRUE SUCCESS -- AND NOT THE SUCCESS THAT HISTORY HAS RECORDED AS PART OF ITS FALSEHOODS IN THE TEXTBOOKS OF THE STANDARD-BEARERS BEFORE US THAT HAVE SETTLED FOR THEIR VERSION OF MEDIOCRITY AS DEFINED BY THE EXPECTATIONS AROUND THEM AND PASSED THROUGH THEIR FOREFATHERS IN A ANOTHER LAND -- WILL BE GRANTED TO US THROUGH THE AWE-INSPIRING GAME THAT IS THE PIGSKIN MATRICULATING DOWN THE FIELD TO FIND TRUE SUCCESS BURIED WITHIN THE GLISTENING ENDZONE OF TRUTH.

SOME OF YOU, THE ONE'S WHO ARE HAPPY JUST PLAYING PONG AND DIDDLING ALONG TO DONNA SUMMERS ALBUMS WHILE WEARING HELLS BELLS BOTTOMS IN A GOLDFISH-SHOED NIGHTMARE, MAYBE THINK, HELL QUONER, WHY SHOULD I LISTEN TO THIS NOW BECAUSE I HAVE TASTED THE SWEET NECTAR OF YOUTH AND DO NOT UNDERSTAND THAT TIME WILL MARCH ON AROUND ME AND DESTROY THE TRAPPINGS OF MY FLEETING FLESH -- ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE ARE SO MANY WINS OVER WESTERN KENTUCKY AND OUR FRIENDS IN BOWLING GREEN WHO ARE KNOWN TO BE AMOROUS WITH GOATS BECAUSE THAT IS A JOKE BASED ON THE RURAL LOCATION OF THEIR STATE? TO YOU ALL, THE YOUNG GUNS WHO ARE KNOWN TO QUESTION THINGS AND ASK THE QUESTION THAT IS THE BASIS FOR THIS THREAD WHICH IS AN ESSENTIAL QUESTION, I SAY WE SHOULD HIRE A COACH WHO WILL BE SO GOOD THAT HE TRANSCENDS THE PROGRAM, THE MIRACLE OF MIRACLES THAT IS THE NEW STADIUM, THE CHILDREN AND THE BANDWIDTH AT THIS WORLD-CLASS STARBUCKS THAT ALLOWS ME TO TAKE THIS SHOW ON TOUR ON A REGULAR BASIS. THIS LEVEL OF ACHIEVEMENT WILL BRING TOGETHER A WORLD THAT WILL CREATE A NEW KIND OF DEAL -- AND NOT THE DEAL THAT SAW MONTY HALL ON MY TELEVISION OR EVEN WAYNE BRADY TODAY -- A DEAL THAT ALLOWS MY FOOTBALL TEAM TO ALWAYS WIN ON DEMAND AND SHOW THE TRAPPINGS OF WATCHING THESE GLADIATORS OF THE FIELD PLEASE MY HONOR AND ALLOW ME TO BRAG OPENLY AT THIS STARBUCKS AS IT CLEARS OUT WITH THE YOUTH OF TODAY PLAYING THEIR ROCK'EM SOCK'EM ROBOTS AND LOWERING THEIR KNICKERS WITH CRUDE BELTS. I SEE THESE KIDS CREATING CONTENT JUST FOR THE SAKE OF PUTTING THEIR NAME ON SOMETHING AND I SOMETIMES THINK THAT THAT IS A SKILL THAT SHOULD BE RESERVED FOR THE MASTERS WHO HAVE TAKEN THE POINT EVERYONE AGREE ON TO A LEVEL OF OBFUSCATION THAT IS BOTH SCARY AND PUZZLING -- AND THE KIND OF PUZZLE THAT NOT EVEN THE PARTICIPANTS OF LETS MAKE A DEAL COULD SOLVE!

IF WE CAN AS MUCH BRING IN THESE NEW FANS THAT CURRENTLY DON'T CARE, THEY SHALL ENTER UPON MY BOSOM AND BE NESTLED SAFELY IN THE PROMISED LAND THAT I HERALDED WITH A TYPEWRITER HERE FORE. SO, I SAY UNTO YOU, HIRE A COACH OF THE QUALITY THAT MAKE AMERICA SO AMERICAN AND MAKE THE APPLE PIE SMELL WAKE THE NEIGHBORS SLEEPING IN THIS GREAT METROPLEX.

BEAT TROY WITH THE ETERNAL FORCE OF THE WARRIOR DRAGON WHO CLUTCHES THE SWORD OF ENDOR UPON THE MANTLE OF GOODNESS AND BE AFRAID OF THE REDUNDANT TRAPPINGS OF THOSE WHO WISH TO TAKE A SIMPLE THOUGHT AND TWIST IT AROUND THEIR FINGER UNTIL IT TURNS BLUE JUST SO THEIR HAND CAN FEEL FEELINGS AGAIN WHEN IT WAKES BACK UP.

GMG!

furthermore: I ATE A SANDWICH ONE TIME THAT TASTED GOOD BECAUSE IT HAD THE RIGHT BALANCE OF INGREDIENTS AND I FORESEE A SIMILAR BALANCE OF SAID INGREDIENTS MAKING OUR NEXT HEAD COACHING HIRE JUST AS SPICY AND DELICIOUS. IT WAS THE BOISE STATE OF SANDWICHES BECAUSE IT FOUND GREAT SUCCESS AND TURNED BLUE IN THE CRISP WEATHERFORD AIR!

p.s. I love you, PMG

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Quoner, I'd recommend my pyschiatrist to you but let me have a few more sessions with her before I do that.

Meanwhile...take deep breaths and exhale slowly.

GMG!

No, I thank you. That was a nice five minute break from a late work night.

• Downvote 1

WE NEED A REDUNDANT COACH WHO WILL IN AS MUCH DO WHAT IS NEEDED THEREFORE AT THE APPROPRIATE TIME SO THAT TRUE SUCCESS -- AND NOT THE SUCCESS THAT HISTORY HAS RECORDED AS PART OF ITS FALSEHOODS IN THE TEXTBOOKS OF THE STANDARD-BEARERS BEFORE US THAT HAVE SETTLED FOR THEIR VERSION OF MEDIOCRITY AS DEFINED BY THE EXPECTATIONS AROUND THEM AND PASSED THROUGH THEIR FOREFATHERS IN A ANOTHER LAND -- WILL BE GRANTED TO US THROUGH THE AWE-INSPIRING GAME THAT IS THE PIGSKIN MATRICULATING DOWN THE FIELD TO FIND TRUE SUCCESS BURIED WITHIN THE GLISTENING ENDZONE OF TRUTH.

SOME OF YOU, THE ONE'S WHO ARE HAPPY JUST PLAYING PONG AND DIDDLING ALONG TO DONNA SUMMERS ALBUMS WHILE WEARING HELLS BELLS BOTTOMS IN A GOLDFISH-SHOED NIGHTMARE, MAYBE THINK, HELL QUONER, WHY SHOULD I LISTEN TO THIS NOW BECAUSE I HAVE TASTED THE SWEET NECTAR OF YOUTH AND DO NOT UNDERSTAND THAT TIME WILL MARCH ON AROUND ME AND DESTROY THE TRAPPINGS OF MY FLEETING FLESH -- ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE ARE SO MANY WINS OVER WESTERN KENTUCKY AND OUR FRIENDS IN BOWLING GREEN WHO ARE KNOWN TO BE AMOROUS WITH GOATS BECAUSE THAT IS A JOKE BASED ON THE RURAL LOCATION OF THEIR STATE? TO YOU ALL, THE YOUNG GUNS WHO ARE KNOWN TO QUESTION THINGS AND ASK THE QUESTION THAT IS THE BASIS FOR THIS THREAD WHICH IS AN ESSENTIAL QUESTION, I SAY WE SHOULD HIRE A COACH WHO WILL BE SO GOOD THAT HE TRANSCENDS THE PROGRAM, THE MIRACLE OF MIRACLES THAT IS THE NEW STADIUM, THE CHILDREN AND THE BANDWIDTH AT THIS WORLD-CLASS STARBUCKS THAT ALLOWS ME TO TAKE THIS SHOW ON TOUR ON A REGULAR BASIS. THIS LEVEL OF ACHIEVEMENT WILL BRING TOGETHER A WORLD THAT WILL CREATE A NEW KIND OF DEAL -- AND NOT THE DEAL THAT SAW MONTY HALL ON MY TELEVISION OR EVEN WAYNE BRADY TODAY -- A DEAL THAT ALLOWS MY FOOTBALL TEAM TO ALWAYS WIN ON DEMAND AND SHOW THE TRAPPINGS OF WATCHING THESE GLADIATORS OF THE FIELD PLEASE MY HONOR AND ALLOW ME TO BRAG OPENLY AT THIS STARBUCKS AS IT CLEARS OUT WITH THE YOUTH OF TODAY PLAYING THEIR ROCK'EM SOCK'EM ROBOTS AND LOWERING THEIR KNICKERS WITH CRUDE BELTS. I SEE THESE KIDS CREATING CONTENT JUST FOR THE SAKE OF PUTTING THEIR NAME ON SOMETHING AND I SOMETIMES THINK THAT THAT IS A SKILL THAT SHOULD BE RESERVED FOR THE MASTERS WHO HAVE TAKEN THE POINT EVERYONE AGREE ON TO A LEVEL OF OBFUSCATION THAT IS BOTH SCARY AND PUZZLING -- AND THE KIND OF PUZZLE THAT NOT EVEN THE PARTICIPANTS OF LETS MAKE A DEAL COULD SOLVE!

IF WE CAN AS MUCH BRING IN THESE NEW FANS THAT CURRENTLY DON'T CARE, THEY SHALL ENTER UPON MY BOSOM AND BE NESTLED SAFELY IN THE PROMISED LAND THAT I HERALDED WITH A TYPEWRITER HERE FORE. SO, I SAY UNTO YOU, HIRE A COACH OF THE QUALITY THAT MAKE AMERICA SO AMERICAN AND MAKE THE APPLE PIE SMELL WAKE THE NEIGHBORS SLEEPING IN THIS GREAT METROPLEX.

BEAT TROY WITH THE ETERNAL FORCE OF THE WARRIOR DRAGON WHO CLUTCHES THE SWORD OF ENDOR UPON THE MANTLE OF GOODNESS AND BE AFRAID OF THE REDUNDANT TRAPPINGS OF THOSE WHO WISH TO TAKE A SIMPLE THOUGHT AND TWIST IT AROUND THEIR FINGER UNTIL IT TURNS BLUE JUST SO THEIR HAND CAN FEEL FEELINGS AGAIN WHEN IT WAKES BACK UP.

GMG!

furthermore: I ATE A SANDWICH ONE TIME THAT TASTED GOOD BECAUSE IT HAD THE RIGHT BALANCE OF INGREDIENTS AND I FORESEE A SIMILAR BALANCE OF SAID INGREDIENTS MAKING OUR NEXT HEAD COACHING HIRE JUST AS SPICY AND DELICIOUS. IT WAS THE BOISE STATE OF SANDWICHES BECAUSE IT FOUND GREAT SUCCESS AND TURNED BLUE IN THE CRISP WEATHERFORD AIR!

p.s. I love you, PMG

I don't know what I'm more sick of: seeing the Rangers sit on 1st pitch strikes or reading about Hayden Fry.

We won't have the Rangers to kick around anymore. I'm almost ready to start hearing from "Mizzou Tiger" again...tell RV to call Jim Leavitt. Call. Him. Now. And I'm not saying we shouldn't call Jim Leavitt; I just hope that we actually bring in ten or more candidates to interview, and keep an open mind about who is the eventual pick.

Edited by eulessismore

Jim, we all know and appreciate what Fry did here. This is 2010....let's look at our gray hair and transition into 2010 and a coaching search for the times. Fry had the advantage of being an independent in an NCAA that had not yet come up with 'working progress toward a degree, etc.' While we need many of Fry's qualities in the new coach, the new man will have struggles that Fry did not have. Of course, the new man will have a much better university than Fry did in the 70's and a new stadium to sell. It is so sad that the Camelot of North Texas football was 40 years ago...or was it Camelot?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Jim, we all know and appreciate what Fry did here. This is 2010....let's look at our gray hair and transition into 2010 and a coaching search for the times. Fry had the advantage of being an independent in an NCAA that had not yet come up with 'working progress toward a degree, etc.' While we need many of Fry's qualities in the new coach, the new man will have struggles that Fry did not have. Of course, the new man will have a much better university than Fry did in the 70's and a new stadium to sell. It is so sad that the Camelot of North Texas football was 40 years ago...or was it Camelot?

Compared to the last 10 years it's certainly was Camelot. What I have always preached about Fry was that he understood that we needed more than just wins. We needed an attitude change, about ourseleves, and about the role of sports at a big time college. As AD he went about bringing about those attitude changes. But as soon as he left, those changes pretty much went away because the decision makers who grew up in the old culture were still in charge. We've been paying the (image) price ever since.

• Upvote 1

Compared to the last 10 years it's certainly was Camelot. What I have always preached about Fry was that he understood that we needed more than just wins. We needed an attitude change, about ourseleves, and about the role of sports at a big time college. As AD he went about bringing about those attitude changes. But as soon as he left, those changes pretty much went away because the decision makers who grew up in the old culture were still in charge. We've been paying the (image) price ever since.

Fry was a visionary who changed the athletic culture at NT if only for a brief time. Then NT admins sent us down to 1-AA as a penalty for success. Iowa embraced Fry and he took them to the Rose Bowl and have since named a street and yearly event after him. I feel sorry for the ones that missed his time at NT and thumb their nose at one of the few positive eras we've had.

Fry was a visionary who changed the athletic culture at NT if only for a brief time. Then NT admins sent us down to 1-AA as a penalty for success. Iowa embraced Fry and he took them to the Rose Bowl and have since named a street and yearly event after him. I feel sorry for the ones that missed his time at NT and thumb their nose at one of the few positive eras we've had.

If you think we're thumbing our noses at Fry, you're mistaken. We're thumbing our noses at things people say over...and over...and over again.

If your wife or girlfriend leaves town for a two week trip and calls every 10 minutes to remind you how much fun you had the night before she left, are you going to miss her 10 days later?

GMG!

p.s. I love you, PMG

You don't have to yell.

JoLo-Annoying%20Man.jpg

Look, we had our greatest successes under Hayden Fry and Darrell Dickey...that's how off kilter this thing has been.

Success can be had here. We will now have the facilities. We just need the right coach and coaching staff.

With Mike Canales, we may or may not already have it. If not Mike, the non-firefighting Rick who runs the athletic department will make a good hire. He has no other choice this time.

And, then, we will have our triumvirate of great coaches - Fry, Dickey and New Hire Guy - to rival the likes of Bud Wilkinson, Barry Swizer and Bob Stoops and Oklahoma and Darrell Royal, John Mackovic, and Mack Brown at Texas.

But, just remember, bitches...he'll be winning with Todd Dodge's players! :rolleyes::lol:

Bwaaaahahahaahahahahahahaahaaahaahaaaaaaah!

I wet myself.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1