Nt Vs Smu In Bb Recruiting

OldTimer

1. Power Forward (3*) Forrest Robinson Chose NT over offers from Ark, Centenary, UH, Iowa St, LaTech, OkSt, SMU, TT, USC, Utah, Virginia.. COMMITTED TO NT OVER OFFERS LISTED OVER OFFERS LISTED INCLUDING SMU

2.Point Guard Chris Jones over offers from Ark Little Rock, Army, Colorado, Hartford, UH, Indiana ST, Missouri St, New Mexico, TCU, UT Arlington..COMMITTED TO NT OVER OFFERS LISTED INCLUDING SMU

3. Point Guard Trey Norris over offers from Mcnease sT, Minnesota, Northern AZ, Santa Clara, S. Dakota, SMU..COMMITTED TO NT OVER OFFERS LISTED INCLUDING SMU

4. And I like Small Forward 3* Jordan Williams WHO chose NT over offers from AZ St, Ark, Baylor, Fresno St, Georgia, UH, KsSt, Marquette, Miss ST, OK St, Oregon, So. Miss TT even though he doesn't show a SMU offer

Edit: I don't like SMU and what it stands for because I believe they kept NT out of CUSA.....It is a high mark to me that we actually beat SMU for the above id'd committed players. The quality of offers these commitments received and the fact that they still chose NT...to me this is is a major upgrade in NT's recruiting.

NT HAS COMMITTMENTS FROM 3 SCHOOLS LISTED ABOVE OVER SMU OFFERS.

I LIKE IT, I LIKE IT.

This is dumb. Very dumb.

SMU has gotten good recruits at the same positions we have. Both schools have gotten quality players that fit their systems.

We got Forrest Robinson, they got Cannen Cunningham.

We got Jordan Williams, they got Jalen Jones.

We got Norris and Jones, they got Ryan Manuel.

At this point, I don't think either school would trade their class for the others. Everyone has plenty to be happy about.

• Upvote 4

This is dumb. Very dumb.

SMU has gotten good recruits at the same positions we have. Both schools have gotten quality players that fit their systems.

At this point, I don't think either school would trade their class for the others. Everyone has plenty to be happy about.

We got Brandan Walton, and they got...nothing! :P

I think the private, regional school we should be monitoring for basketball is Baylor. They're putting together a VERY nice class - national top 10 caliber. It's just too bad they had to recruit girlfriend-beating thugs and violate NCAA recruiting regulations to get there.

Baylor is a rough comparison because they've got the Big 12 advantage.

I don't think there's a state school I'd want to pattern ourselves after as a means of comparison. If I had to pick a program to model ourselves after, it would be Utah State or Nevada. And as far as recruiting goes, our class so far is on par with any of their results over the past 4-5 years.

• Upvote 1

Why do we always have to see this garbage on the board? Who gives a crap what that little school does down there in Dallas.

Johnny Jones and our current seniors have already set the bar, and we look to the new kids coming in in this class and the last to keep the winning tradition going that they already started here. These kids have a great potential, great coaching, and great role models to pattern their game after and grow the program to new heights.

It's going to be an exciting ride here for the next few years, if they learn to play together and work hard. Hopefully we can be talking about one of them that blossoms into NBA caliber like WKU has already done.

I can't tell you how happy I am to be in the Sun Belt for hoops, because it really seems to be getting better and better.

• Upvote 1

Baylor is a rough comparison because they've got the Big 12 advantage.

I don't think there's a state school I'd want to pattern ourselves after as a means of comparison. If I had to pick a program to model ourselves after, it would be Utah State or Nevada. And as far as recruiting goes, our class so far is on par with any of their results over the past 4-5 years.

Oh, I was suggesting we compare nor pattern our program after Baylor's. I was just pointing out that we have a recruit that chose UNT over Baylor and, to me, that's far more impressive than choosing us over SMU or TCU.

Wait....did you say SMU? who are they again? oh ya....their a bottom feeder in C-USA. That crappy school down in university park couldn't touch our Jockstrap in basketball! Screw SMU and anything about them...if they fell off the planet the world would be better off....

if you couldn't tell i don't like SMUT

Wait....did you say SMU? who are they again? oh ya....their a bottom feeder in C-USA. That crappy school down in university park couldn't touch our Jockstrap in basketball! Screw SMU and anything about them...if they fell off the planet the world would be better off....

if you couldn't tell i don't like SMUT

Really though, how DO you feel about SMUt? :lol:

This is dumb. Very dumb.

This. Good Lord, this.

If we need to compare our recruiting class, lets PLEASE use some one more pertinent to our program...like Western Kentucky.

WKU

Deng Leek 7'0" 240 - Rivals: 3 stars, ESPN Grade: 91

Cezar Guerrero 6'0" 175 - Rivals: 4 stars, ESPN Grade: 91

George Fant 6'6" 225 - Rivals: 3 stars, ESPN Grade: 91

Vinnie Zollo 6'8" 220 - Rivals: 3 stars, ESPN Grade: 91

Derrick Gordon 6'3" 180 - Rivals: 3 stars, ESPN Grade: 90

Nigel Snipes 6'5" 185 - Rivals: 3 stars, ESPN Grade: 80

UNT

Jordan Williams 6'6" 180 - Rivals: 3 stars, ESPN Grade: 90, TexasHoops Top 100: 9

Forrest Robinson 6'10" 210 - Rivals: 3 stars, ESPN Grade: N/A, TexasHoops Top 100: 32

Chris Jones 6'2" 185 - Rivals & ESPN: N/A, TexasHoops Top 100: 24

Trey Norris 5'10" 170 - Rivals: N/A, ESPN Grade: 86, TexasHoops Top 100: 70

Brandon Walton 6'2" 185 - Rivals & ESPN: N/A

Once Rivals finishes their evaluation I'd say Jones will be 3 stars, Norris 2...once ESPN finishes their evaluation I'd say Robinson will be 89 or 90, Jones 87 or 88. Both services rarely evaluate JUCOs, so Walton remains bit of a wild card.

So to this point, I'd say we're a bit behind WKU, but to steal Tasty's line, I wouldn't trade classes...especially since our's isn't finished yet. One name that would really help is Williams' teammate Jarion Henry (6'8" 195)...Rivals 4 stars, ESPN 89, TexasHoops 11...I'm hoping Jordan is selling Jarion on UNT every day.

• Upvote 1

This thread is a trap..lol

It's also an awful thread. Getting a verbal from Forrest Robinson isn't chest-pounding time.

You guys would have taken Robinson in a second, so cut the crap...I have to admit that smu and UNT both have good classes though. Just because I admit that does not mean that you are not a douche for coming over here and making comments like this. Save the condescending crap for phonyfans. I have ZERO problem when you contribute legitimate, no-spin info, even reasonable opinions, but usually what you say is either a backhanded compliment or a subtle insult.

• Upvote 1

Who is the player from Galveston that Cooley is so high on, and is he still available?

I believe you are referring to Terran Petteway, small forward from Galveston Ball HS 6-6, 3*...BAD he has commited to Texas Tech

I would like NT to sign Center Adam Choplick Denton Ryan HS shown as 6-6, but I have seen posts that he is closer to 6-8. He visited NT FB game 10-2...selected to TX Assoc of Basketball All Star game, named all state,

This. Good Lord, this.

If we need to compare our recruiting class, lets PLEASE use some one more pertinent to our program...like Western Kentucky.

WKU

Deng Leek 7'0" 240 - Rivals: 3 stars, ESPN Grade: 91

Cezar Guerrero 6'0" 175 - Rivals: 4 stars, ESPN Grade: 91

George Fant 6'6" 225 - Rivals: 3 stars, ESPN Grade: 91

Vinnie Zollo 6'8" 220 - Rivals: 3 stars, ESPN Grade: 91

Derrick Gordon 6'3" 180 - Rivals: 3 stars, ESPN Grade: 90

Nigel Snipes 6'5" 185 - Rivals: 3 stars, ESPN Grade: 80

UNT

Jordan Williams 6'6" 180 - Rivals: 3 stars, ESPN Grade: 90, TexasHoops Top 100: 9

Forrest Robinson 6'10" 210 - Rivals: 3 stars, ESPN Grade: N/A, TexasHoops Top 100: 32

Chris Jones 6'2" 185 - Rivals & ESPN: N/A, TexasHoops Top 100: 24

Trey Norris 5'10" 170 - Rivals: N/A, ESPN Grade: 86, TexasHoops Top 100: 70

Brandon Walton 6'2" 185 - Rivals & ESPN: N/A

Once Rivals finishes their evaluation I'd say Jones will be 3 stars, Norris 2...once ESPN finishes their evaluation I'd say Robinson will be 89 or 90, Jones 87 or 88. Both services rarely evaluate JUCOs, so Walton remains bit of a wild card.

So to this point, I'd say we're a bit behind WKU, but to steal Tasty's line, I wouldn't trade classes...especially since our's isn't finished yet. One name that would really help is Williams' teammate Jarion Henry (6'8" 195)...Rivals 4 stars, ESPN 89, TexasHoops 11...I'm hoping Jordan is selling Jarion on UNT every day.

The positive thing is that NT never recruits anywhere close to WKU on paper, but still manages to win it's share. JJ in the past has got few big names but still has managed to usually be deemed the most athletic team in the conference. It will be very interesting with this class which should the best in JJ's career, to see how it progresses through the Belt.

You guys would have taken Robinson in a second, so cut the crap...I have to admit that smu and UNT both have good classes though. Just because I admit that does not mean that you are not a douche for coming over here and making comments like this. Save the condescending crap for phonyfans. I have ZERO problem when you contribute legitimate, no-spin info, even reasonable opinions, but usually what you say is either a backhanded compliment or a subtle insult.

Look, I'm on the record about Robinson over here, well before he gave UNT a verbal. This doesn't have to do w/UNT, it has to do w/Robinson, whom I've watched in personal work-outs more than my fair share. I'm happy that you guys like him and are happy, but it doesn't give you ammo in a SMU vs UNT debate, that simple. SMU wasn't even recruiting Forrest, and hasn't for well over a year. He doesn't have 90% of those rivals offers either. To say SMU would have taken him in a second is just false. They already have Cunningham & Norman in the same class, who both play he same position as Forrest etc.

I've been quite complimentary of several of the kids you have verbals from (Williams, Jones) and have no problem admitting when UNT actually beats SMU for a kid(Williams). You want real & no spin, so don't expect me to wax poetic on Robinson or Norris. No idea about the JUCO kid, but even defended his frosh numbers over here, when some of you were slamming him. I'm being nothing but consistent. Didn't like Robinson way before I knew he was a UNT possibility, don't like him now. Clear enough

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Look, I'm on the record about Robinson over here, well before he gave UNT a verbal. This doesn't have to do w/UNT, it has to do w/Robinson, whom I've watched in personal work-outs more than my fair share. I'm happy that you guys like him and are happy, but it doesn't give you ammo in a SMU vs UNT debate, that simple. SMU wasn't even recruiting Forrest, and hasn't for well over a year. He doesn't have 90% of those rivals offers either. To say SMU would have taken him in a second is just false. They already have Cunningham & Norman in the same class, who both play he same position as Forrest etc.

I've been quite complimentary of several of the kids you have verbals from (Williams, Jones) and have no problem admitting when UNT actually beats SMU for a kid(Williams). You want real & no spin, so don't expect me to wax poetic on Robinson or Norris. No idea about the JUCO kid, but even defended his frosh numbers over here, when some of you were slamming him. I'm being nothing but consistent. Didn't like Robinson way before I knew he was a UNT possibility, don't like him now. Clear enough

I appreciate the response. I'm not debating the SMU/UNT thing. I think the classes are pretty much equal. To be honest, the only school I am really even concerned with recruiting wise is WKU, not SMU, and we have pulled back close enough to where I don't see them dominating the Belt for 4 years or anything. I respect your opinion, and although we don't really know where you get your info, or whether or not it is accurate, you do have plenty of it, so keep it coming. The only thing I don't like are the subtle comments that put down UNT. It is sort of like waving your flag in another country.

• Upvote 1

[/quo

Really, if a NT fan went on the SMU and proclaimed that Cunningham was soft and that NT had no interest in him, I am sure that fan would get a warm reaction at Mustang land. As for as watching a personal workout by a 17 year old 6'9 kid and judging that he is or isn't a talent; I highly doubt you have that kind of judgment. By the way being the coaching staff is forbidden to talk to anyone about recruits, how in the world would you know who is recruiting who? Frankly, you couldn't; you may or not have a reliable source at SMU, but to state you know that he hasn't got 90% of the other offers is pure speculation on your part unless you are in the Robinson family.

The great thing about recruiting conversations is that although they can be proved or disproved down the line in a few years, that is seldom done. Because all these players will have a year to play before entering SMU and NT, it will be fun to watch their development. I do hope SMU improves their program enough that they feel secure enough to schedule NT in the future.

• Upvote 6

I appreciate the response. I'm not debating the SMU/UNT thing. I think the classes are pretty much equal. To be honest, the only school I am really even concerned with recruiting wise is WKU, not SMU, and we have pulled back close enough to where I don't see them dominating the Belt for 4 years or anything. I respect your opinion, and although we don't really know where you get your info, or whether or not it is accurate, you do have plenty of it, so keep it coming. The only thing I don't like are the subtle comments that put down UNT. It is sort of like waving your flag in another country.

Appreciate the response. I like your coach and your program. If a thread is titled NT vs SMU in bb recruiting, chances are I'll take the bait..lol

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1