Do You Prefer A Defensive Or Offensive Coach

Eagle-96

Do you prefer that UNT goes with an offinsive coordinator or a defensive corrdinator if we go the assistant coach route. We have tried our luck with offensive coaches the last three times and that didn't seem to go terribly well. I think it might be time to bring someone in that knows his way around a defense.

Regardless of the side of the ball he comes from though I want the coach to be someone who will tghten the ship up around here. Someone who won't tolerate the stupid penalties. Someone who likes a little hitting in practice. Someone who isn't afraid to step to the podium the week before a game and tell the world that we plan to kick(insert BCS school here)'s ass. Somone who can fire up the team and fire up the fan base. Someone who isn't afraid to take the blame when something goes wrong and who is willing to spread the glory when it does go right. I want someone who will step into a recruits home and tell them that "you will win at North Texas" and really beleive it. I want someone who sees the potential for UNT to not just be the next Boise State but the team that in 20 years other teams can only hope and dream to emulate. I am sick and tired of being laughed at at work because I support UNT. I want to start laughing at everyone else and I want a coach who understands that.

Edited by Eagle-96

Another offensive coach. Offense sells tickets (new stadium). Defensive coaches tend to bring three yards and a cloud of dust OC's to the party. Defensive coaches tend to be authoritarian, which is good, the general style wont fire up the fan base quickly. They usually weed more guys out, which backfires at some places, with so many new guys. Then again, RV did not ask me.

Another offensive coach. Offense sells tickets (new stadium). Defensive coaches tend to bring three yards and a cloud of dust OC's to the party. Defensive coaches tend to be authoritarian, which is good, the general style wont fire up the fan base quickly. They usually weed more guys out, which backfires at some places, with so many new guys. Then again, RV did not ask me.

Stoops is a defensive guy and brought in a high powered offense to go with it.

Regardless of the side of the ball he comes from though I want the coach to be someone who will tghten the ship up around here. Someone who won't tolerate the stupid penalties. Someone who likes a little hitting in practice. Someone who isn't afraid to step to the podium the week before a game and tell the world that we plan to kick(insert BCS school here)'s ass. Somone who can fire up the team and fire up the fan base. Someone who isn't afraid to take the blame when something goes wrong and who is willing to spread the glory when it does go right. I want someone who will step into a recruits home and tell them that "you will win at North Texas" and really beleive it. I want someone who sees the potential for UNT to not just be the next Boise State but the team that in 20 years other teams can only hope and dream to emulate. I am sick and tired of being laughed at at work because I support UNT. I want to start laughing at everyone else and I want a coach who understands that.

All of this.... I want a coach who isn't afraid to be proud and bold. And say "we are going into oklahoma to BEAT Oklahoma!!!!!!!!! Perhaps it is the leader not neccisarily the philosophy that people follow. Perhaps it is just that leader who says we WILL win here at UNT and believes it because he is going to make it happen, perhaps that is the leader we want and perhaps his specialty on either side of the ball won't be that important. Findin that guy.... The unafraid and unapologetic guy... The guy who takes responsibility.... The right guy.... That is what matters.

But if I have to pick, I going with the side of the ball that has sucked for the longest but has provided, by far, my greatest memories of UNT football while I was in school. Defense.

Edited by hickoryhouse

Nick Saban was a DC. Urban Meyer was a defensive asst. Bo Pellini was a DC. Someone has already mentioned Stoops. The idea that DCs bring "three yards and a cloud of dust" does not hold up.

Yeah! What about this guy, his current school's website had this to say: The offensive-minded coach has served as an offensive coordinator at Memphis (1988-89), UTEP (1994-96), and SMU (1997). He has also coached at Texas A&M, Mississippi State, and LSU. Should be more offesnive firepower than we could ever imagine.

<_<

Just because a coach shows a tendency as a coach doesn't necessarily translate to how they will approach a head coaching job. As an OC, they don't have to worry about how long the defense has been on the field (for example). That is the difference between those coordinators who will always retain their coordinator mentality; and those coordinators that can transition to the responsibility of managing all three phases of the game.