Espn Article

cdizzle86

We're one of the worst football programs in all of division one and have been for the past several years. I don't think anyone is under any great delusion as to the status of our program.

However, we also recognize the po-tehn-shul of our program with the 'right' hire and base our future expectations upon that.

Try selling our potential and a $500k salary on the open market and see what we get for a coach. Bower knows how to recruit in an area where the big dogs pick up the highly rated recruits and he certainly knows how to win.

If you want to pick apart Jeff Bower's success you could do the same to our beloved Johnny Jones. You people crack me up on where you think UNT is as a program sometimes.

Huge difference. Johnny Jones is in his 9th or 10th year with arguably his best team assembled and has been building toward this point the whole time. He just landed the best recruit this program has seen in 15 plus years. Things are still on their way up with the ceiling still a long ways away.

From Blowers resume, it appears he was on the decline when he left S. Miss. His best years were far behind him. He doesn't really do anything to excite me.

Comparing him to JJ is foolish.

Is Bower a program builder? Did he take So Miss from nothing to 14 winning seasons? How many other coaching gigs has he had. As I recall, he would not have left the So Miss job if he had not been fired.

PLEASE! FORGODSAKES A college coach with TEXAS TIES.

Don Carthel would be a better choice than Bowers.

When Bower gets here we can provide the texas ties.

31ZuPhwbV-L._SL500_SX300_SY390_CR,0,0,300,390_.jpg

• Upvote 1

If that's the case, I'll agree: we're not serious about winning.

You've got to have the money before you can offer it. And last I heard, we didn't have it.

As for being serious about winning, Larry Blakeney's total compensation is well under $400k. We may not be able to get Nick Saban or Urban Meyer; but with due diligence and a little luck, we can certainly land a coach who can win with the salary we offer.

You've got to have the money before you can offer it. And last I heard, we didn't have it.

As for being serious about winning, Larry Blakeney's total compensation is well under $400k. We may not be able to get Nick Saban or Urban Meyer; but with due diligence and a little luck, we can certainly land a coach who can win with the salary we offer.

We have and will have it, we have the cash to buyout Dodge and the Neinas Report to get the BOR to pony up, anything less that 500-600k will be shocking to me.

UNT is not going to get a high profile coach to come because they don't and won't have the $. You're kidding yourselves with talk of Leach, Bowden, Fran, etc. and none of them would be worth the trouble. Virginia is the example we should follow. They took a subdivision coach that just won the national title (Richmond). I'm not saying we need a guy who won the title, but there are up-and-comers in subdivision ball. Unlike the TD experiment, we would get a proven winner at college ball and face it; the Sunbelt is like subdivision ball. A ballsy, young, football smart subdivision head coach could blow up the Sunbelt.

• Downvote 2

UNT is not going to get a high profile coach to come because they don't and won't have the $. You're kidding yourselves with talk of Leach, Bowden, Fran, etc. and none of them would be worth the trouble. Virginia is the example we should follow. They took a subdivision coach that just won the national title (Richmond). I'm not saying we need a guy who won the title, but there are up-and-comers in subdivision ball. Unlike the TD experiment, we would get a proven winner at college ball and face it; the Sunbelt is like subdivision ball. A ballsy, young, football smart subdivision head coach could blow up the Sunbelt.

Don't agree with the first part regarding money, but definitely the second part

i.e Don Carthel

fired,fired,fired,and fired.

Hayden Fry was fired before we got him. And Jerry Moore was fired before Appy State got him.

Of course, Bob Tyler was also fired and hiring him was more of a disaster than Dodge by far.

Coaches being fired doesn't always mean they can't coach and coach to win. But, sometimes it does. Previous performance is no guarantee of future results for any coach.