We Are Witnessing The End...

JayDub

So have FIU & WKU built new AC's? New tennis complex's? New soccer fields? Womens sports facilities? Started softball etc? New football stadium? The dude has advanced us night and day overall from where we were when I was a student. And considering what the overall state of NT athletics were when I was at NT in the mid to late 90's I'd have to say he has accomplished more than any AD in our history.

You can't hit a home run at every at bat but I feel like RV has always swung for the fences. (Hell, just hitting .300 will get you in the HOF and RV's average is well above that even with the Dodge experiment.)

The issue is not what RV has done but rather could someone else have done the same thing and more in the same tenure. Everyone praises RV for accomplishing all he has (and rightly so) but the automatic assumption is that no one else could have done what he has and we are so fortunate to have him. We dont know this is true and it could quite possibly be that if we had someone else we would have all the same and possibly be winning right now and possibly in a different conference.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

RV owes the students, who pay for most of this, BETTER than what we have here....ALWAYS in the bottom 10 in 1A...this is nothing less than total mismanagement on RV's part...many of these students come and go from UNT and having never seen a winning game...just pathetic and his inaction is worse. How could anyone who is competent in his job allow this disaster to go on this long...how!

A $7. per semester hour increase when other smaller enrollment FCS schools in Texas are paying $20 per semester hour--don't shed any tears for the students. Look at those who party in the parking lot and never come into the stadium. Add to the low fees that the students pay zero for tickets for all sports events on campus and you truly see what a great deal they have. :angry: I have paid literally thousands of my hard earned $$ into UNT athletics and I continue to attend games and even increase my giving level as well as be positive and try to help not criticise the present regime. I have seen A.D.s and coaches come and go--some great, some good, and some pathetic but one thing remains constant I'll still be here after they've come and gone. I trust RV and C. Dan Smith will make the right decision. It's their job let them do it.., but don't spend your time worrying over the spoiled brat student who is going here on financial aid, student loans, or Daddy's money. You'll never see 80% of them back on campus once they bleed their Nieman-Marcus education at a Walmart price from this university. We need students who appreciate the bargain of a quality education they get at UNT. The rest that moan and criticise should not let the door hit them in the rear on their way out!!!!!!!

Edited by DallasGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

A $7. per semester hour increase when other smaller enrollment FCS schools in Texas are paying $20 per semester hour--don't shed any tears for the students. Look at those who party in the parking lot and never come into the stadium. Add to the low fees that the students pay zero for tickets for all sports events on campus and you truly see what a great deal they have. :angry: I have paid literally thousands of my hard earned $$ into UNT athletics and I continue to attend games and even increase my giving level as well as be positive and try to help not criticise the present regime. I have seen A.D.s and coaches come and go--some great, some good, and some pathetic but one thing remains constant I'll still be here after they've come and gone. I trust RV and C. Dan Smith will make the right decision. It's their job let them do it.., but don't spend your time worrying over the spoiled brat student who is going here on financial aid, student loans, or Daddy's money. You'll never see 80% of them back on campus once they bleed their Nieman-Marcus education at a Walmart price from this university. We need students who appreciate the bargain of a quality education they get at UNT. The rest that moan and criticise should not let the door hit them in the rear on their way out!!!!!!!

And so the annual "I bleed greener that you do" pissing contest begins.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

And so the annual "I bleed greener that you do" pissing contest begins.

And what have you done lately?? I've been giving for 40+ years; come and talk when you can put your money where your mouth is. You've been around how long?? I thought so --match what others have done then maybe someone will actually listen to your drivel. :(

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

The issue is not what RV has done but rather could someone else have done the same thing and more in the same tenure. Everyone praises RV for accomplishing all he has (and rightly so) but the automatic assumption is that no one else could have done what he has and we are so fortunate to have him. We dont know this is true and it could quite possibly be that if we had someone else we would have all the same and possibly be winning right now and possibly in a different conference.

^

this

Same words are said about Dodge and what he inherited and what he produced. They should be applied to the whole picture.

Calling our opinions as uninformed, misguided, baseless, blah; almost made me feel defensive of my support for this program. Then I realized that you (oh wise ones) don't know my level (or no level?) of support with travel, money, fandom, recruiting MGC members, etc. That is fine. Truely. If it helps you sleep better or feel better about the program in general, then absolutely you can pass my words as baseless or just words of anger in general.

It is absurd to big time me for having your join date on gmg being 8 days prior to my SWB account. You don't know my story, but certainly I deserve some respect for at the very least being around this program for as long as you can tell by simple appearances (9 years?).

As far as celeb alums, it isn't about them talking up your school. It is about being an honest non-smarmy person who can call them up and ask how they can help the program. Maybe with some appearance? Maybe with a donation of some kind? Maybe with a fund raiser concert? Maybe by coming back and just being visible for some games -- let other alums in DFW know it isn't completely uncool to support you school.

But, we will never know the depths of RV's work. He isn't even open a little bit to the AD boosters -- so how can we really see the direction of this program?

I can respect your blind love for the AD. You can continue to think he is the greatest thing since sliced Domino's Pizza. I won't call your opinion uninformed. We can agree to disagree.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin

And what have you done lately?? I've been giving for 40+ years; come and talk when you can put your money where your mouth is. You've been around how long?? I thought so --match what others have done then maybe someone will actually listen to your drivel. :(

You know, there is this whole culture of us that appreciate people - friends - that don't ask to show our money as if it validates an opinion

Not that it takes away from the corporate world: those guys seem happy to build heirarchys based on favor$.

Tread lightly, sir. <3

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You know, there is this whole culture of us that appreciate people - friends - that don't ask to show our money as if it validates an opinion

Not that it takes away from the corporate world: those guys seem happy to build heirarchys based on favor$.

Tread lightly, sir. <3

Very philosophical---- that and a dime will get you a quarter cup of coffee. I'm not flaunting anything just saying I care and am willing to help not just idly criticise. What about you and your cronies?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

For those of us who have been around NT for a few decades no matter who is at the helm we still bleed green. I will not defend either RV or TD as they were hired to do a job. And depending upon your perspective you can look at where the University was before RV and TD and what is the state of athletics at NT today. After you make the comparison then you can provide your answer and from my perspective the state of athletics at NT today is better than it was prior to RV. However, on the state of the football program that is another story.

Just my 2 cents

Listen, I know who you are. I have a pretty good idea of how much you give the university, too. I respect that...a lot. That said, it is this mentality and attitude that drives so many potentional fans and donors away. I have witnessed people of your status talk down to and treat other fans like trash because they weren't "elite enough" (I've been on the receiving end of this treatment, too). That shit may fly with your corporate buddies, but it isn't tolerated amongst those who could make the biggest difference in the program: those who can make the small gifts. This was the problem with Mandy McKinley; she was more interested in kissing the asses of your ilk than coming into contact with the masses...and North Texas suffered for it.

Ummm...no. You're just being a pompous, look-at-me-and-my-money, dick.

The nasty, better-than-you attitude of people like you needs to stop. Now. Not everyone can afford to throw down the kind of money you do. That doesn't make them any less of a fan, nor does it make their opinion any less valid. The quicker you understand, accept, and embrace that fact...the quicker North Texas will find more small-time donors to add to the big money you, so graciously, donate.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm sick and tired of this kind of attitude that a few people around here have. It was this kind of attitude and treatment that pushed me away from the program (I was a season ticket holder, if you're so interested). North Texas fans are few and far between...and this kind of crap does nothing by push away the few fans this program has left.

+1...and what is the best way to get this started in a way that makes a difference?

Edited by eulessismore

North Texas fans are few and far between...and this kind of crap does nothing by push away the few fans this program has left.

JD,

It should push you away from GMG, not away from the UNT program. Thicken yo' skin dude.

Hugs. And some kisses. Mostly hugs.

Totally having been around Helwig in the last year and during the Ward Interim, RV is a great find, but I must say the shine is really starting to wear off. I am like everyone else on the advances of the Facilities, but RV's biggest failure is the fundraising and lack of community events (Quarterly Mtgs)

Lack of community events? I don't get this...RV is constantly doing community events. He has been to many many community events just in the last month and I never go a month without noticing him at some sort of community event. The guy work seven days a week from sun up to way past sun down. To say his biggest failure is "community events" is simply uninformed. Or, perhaps you don't attend community events. In that case, it is certainly possible that you would not have seen him. The last event where he was in attendance and also attend by my wife and I...RV was having to leave that event early to participate in a second event that very evening. The guy is all over the place constantly. Probably one of the "hardest working men in show biz"!

If "quarterly meetings" is what you define as "community events" you are missing more than one beat. RV is one of the most accessible AD's in college football. You may can blame him for some things, but not "community events". Good grief...

Conversely, we could be back at the FCS level with nothing but Fouts Field in our future, a basketball team that was still bad, no new AC, or any Title IX achievements.

Like you said, we just don't know.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

Well nothing like class warfare between the few fans NT actually has. The truth at this point in time, NT does not have enough of any kind of fans to be cavalier about it. I even include the fair weather ones that like to tail gate but never bother to show up in the stadium and the ones whose main contribution is a few complaining posts on the message boards. To downplay the import of the students is stupid, they whether they like it or not are the biggest contributing group to NT athletics. Conversely, to not appreciate the few relative big financial supporters of the program is also foolish. If NT ever gets to the big time it is going to be because it finally develops a group of big contributors.

Like in politics or many other things in life, money matters. I could even stand Mattress Mac has long as he was heavily supporting NT athletics. Pointing fingers for lack of support to students, Denton residents, alums and NT faculty and staff can all be unfortunately easily supported, however almost every fan comes from one or more of these groups. It is easy to support UT or now TCU, but it takes a little character to support the Green.

• Upvote 2

This post +1. I'll defend RV because I personally believe he's the reason we've had the progression our programs have seen over the past 10 years. ...but NO FAN owes any other fan an explanation for how he supports the program or how he prioritized his finances. If you're on this board, you're a fan and owe nobody an explanation for why you don't do more.

I was thinking about my post as I was out food shopping today. This is what came to mind:

1) While I wholeheartedly support being a fan of a given team/school, I have never understood anybody who creates a self identity around it. To me it's a facade to cover up the lack of any other life accomplishments by which one can identify one's self.

2) It's not your place or that of anyone else to tell me or any other person how to be a fan. This isn't a country club with rules of admission and membership.

3) Putting numbers 1 and 2 together, I began to wonder if you treat people this way in other areas of your life, like perhaps at church. "I've been praising Jesus for 40+ years! How much time do you have in? Huh? Huh!? How much tithe and offering do you pay? You see that rectory? I paid for that!"

Conclusion: I'll follow UNT to the extent that I see fit, and on my own terms. You can enjoy your name on whatever plaque you bought. No skin off my teeth.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Dodge is gone Monday I hope. Honestly, why wait, doesn't need to drag on any longer, new coach needs time to focus on recruiting. I still don't see how there could be any kind of argument against hiring Jeff Bower. I sure hope he would be interested, wouldn't take him long to establish a good recruiting pipeline here and he already has loads of pipelines in the Miss/Ala/Ga/FL area anyways. Here is his record. Bowl game in 10 of 11 seasons in CUSA.

Year W/L Bowls CoachesAP

1996 Southern Miss 8-3 4-1 T-1 — — —

1997 Southern Miss 9-3 6-0 1 W 41-7 Liberty Bowl 19 19

1998 Southern Miss 7-5 5-1 2 L 35-42 Humanitarian Bowl — —

1999 Southern Miss 9-3 6-0 1 W 23-17 Liberty Bowl 13 14

2000 Southern Miss 8-4 4-3 3 W 28-21 Mobile Bowl — —

2001 Southern Miss 6-5 4-3 4 — — —

2002 Southern Miss 7-6 5-4 4 L 23-33 Houston Bowl — —

2003 Southern Miss 9-4 8-0 1 L 0-17 Liberty Bowl — —

2004 Southern Miss 7-5 5-3 3 W 31-10 New Orleans Bowl — —

2005 Southern Miss 7-5 5-3 3 W 31-19 New Orleans Bowl — —

2006 Southern Miss 9-5 6-3 1 W 28-7 GMAC Bowl — —