If Leach Wont Come,

Ole Green Guts

Hal Mumme?

He has done a great job at McMurry and is a big name.

He has been to the big time and can bring the excitement that leach would offensivly.Mumme

No thanks. If we have to go that far down the ladder to hire a name coach, I'd rather go with coach Fran. He's done it at TCU and he knows Texas recruiting.

A few years ago I was talking to a college recruiter from Alabama (when Fran was there) and he said that skill kids are a dime a dozen, finding big athletic linemen is whats hard.... I know you probably think I am crazy, but the spread is the equilizer.

This actually makes sense, intuitively. That's where we've consistently lost the battle with most of the BCS programs we've played- up front. Look at Clemson. Their guys up front were massive, could move our players out of the way as needed for the big plays. A stout d-line can make average CBs into All-Americans.

Edited by Eagle1855

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/wac/new_mexico_state/index.php

To paraphrase PMG....NMSU is more of a coaching graveyard than NT. Nine winning seasons since 1960.....unfortunately, I saw a couple of those games when dad was transfered from Roswell AFB and stationed at this god forsaken radar site just west of Las Cruces which is now the Donna Anna Fairgrounds. Yep.....the aliens did crash there. :lol:

A few years ago I was talking to a college recruiter from Alabama (when Fran was there) and he said that skill kids are a dime a dozen, finding big athletic linemen is whats hard.... I know you probably think I am crazy, but the spread is the equilizer.

Former UNT FB player/lineman, HooknBull, said the same thing when TD was hired. He was right.

If you go back and look at Fran, he didnt do anything with his own players..... he lucked into good classes at UNM, TCU and a semi good one at Bama before running into the end at ATM.

In his 5th and final year at Pittsburg State, he went 12-1. In his 6th and final year at New Mexico, he went 9-4. If he "lucked into a good class" there, they should have all been gone by the time he led them to the best record they'd seen since 1982 (and the best they've seen since). In his 5th year at A&M, he led them to a bowl, a winning season, and beat Texas.

I don't care if he can do anything with his own players (though everywhere he's been more than 4 years, he's done just fine). I don't care if he leaves in 2 years. If he does, he'll have to do most of his heavy lifting with someone else's players, and what you're saying is that that's what he's had the most success with at every stop.

He didn't do anything with his players at TCU because he was there for just 3 years. Since he left, the guy who took over with Franchione's players has won at better than a .750 clip.

I'd take it.

• Upvote 3

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/wac/new_mexico_state/index.php

To paraphrase PMG....NMSU is more of a coaching graveyard than NT. Nine winning seasons since 1960.....unfortunately, I saw a couple of those games when dad was transfered from Roswell AFB and stationed at this god forsaken radar site just west of Las Cruces which is now the Donna Anna Fairgrounds. Yep.....the aliens did crash there. :lol:

No, Mark, I said when traveling from Fort Worth to Fouts Field at dusk to watch out for UFO's. Man oh man! :rolleyes:

A lady friend and I were coming back from Weatherford's Olive Garden back to her Lake Weatherford home and we were both shocked with what we saw (and I am serious as a heart attack here). I'm still trying to 'cipher that whole thing out.

Go Little Green Men!

In his 5th and final year at Pittsburg State, he went 12-1. In his 6th and final year at New Mexico, he went 9-4. If he "lucked into a good class" there, they should have all been gone by the time he led them to the best record they'd seen since 1982 (and the best they've seen since). In his 5th year at A&M, he led them to a bowl, a winning season, and beat Texas.

I don't care if he can do anything with his own players (though everywhere he's been more than 4 years, he's done just fine). I don't care if he leaves in 2 years. If he does, he'll have to do most of his heavy lifting with someone else's players, and what you're saying is that that's what he's had the most success with at every stop.

He didn't do anything with his players at TCU because he was there for just 3 years. Since he left, the guy who took over with Franchione's players has won at better than a .750 clip.

I'd take it.

I agree. He is the most logical and realistic choice.

I agree. He is the most logical and realistic choice.

he was 5 games over 500 in 5 years. if we can't find someone better that is affordable, then we need to drop football and add mens soccer to play in new stadium. by the way, latest sagarin ratings has us 196th out of 245 schools playing division 1a and 1aa ball, just behind prairie view a&m. in fact, we are the lowest rated 1a program listed, with new mexico at 191. who ever we hire is getting a bucket of crapp.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

What is this referring to? His tenure at Texas A&M?

Hey TTG, please refresh my memory of what happened at TAMU with Coach Fran toward the end. I cannot recall the details.

Also.......I heard on ESPN last night that one known coach has a $5,000,000 buyout clause--if we get a name coach, what would be your (or anyone reading this) idea of a buyout clause maybe anytime between Year 1 and Year 5? After Year 5 whatever the buyout figure could descend I would presume.

GMG

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The first person we need to look at is Jim Leavitt. We should do whatever it takes to get him here. Everyone wants a proven HC with a "name". He took a startup D-1 program and put them in a BCS conference in 10 years. That's a proven winner.

This is the coach we need---If we can get him----Have heard he is a great coach and person---

Hey TTG, please refresh my memory of what happened at TAMU with Coach Fran toward the end. I cannot recall the details.

Also.......I heard on ESPN last night that one known coach has a $5,000,000 buyout clause--if we get a name coach, what would be your (or anyone reading this) idea of a buyout clause maybe anytime between Year 1 and Year 5? After Year 5 whatever the buyout figure could descend I would presume.

GMG

Here's a breakdown from Wikipedia. The emails that got him in trouble are all available on the Dallas Morning news website. Can't find them at the moment, but I saw them up there a few weeks back.

Basically, he sent out a newsletter to a bunch of boosters as a stroke job that kept them feeling informed. Mentioned some things he shouldn't have, but a lot of the rumors and scoldings were unjustified. I don't think the guy was in it for the money, considering the letter didn't even cover his website expenses and grossed less than $40k (compared to a $2 million+ salary).

A&M wanted him out because he wasn't doing as well as fast against the Big 12 south (during a period when Texas and OU were annual National Championship contenders/winners) as they thought he ought to. But Franchione went 2-3 against TEXAS during a period when the rest of their opponents went a combined 51-8 against them. Finished with an overall winning record there, won in his second year, led them to their best single season win total since 1998 (and more than they've gotten in any year since).

8 jobs, 6 first year winning seasons. 2 second year winning seasons. He's never gone anywhere that he didn't win with whatever the previous coach left him.

Alabama- He took over a 3 win team, got 7 in his first year and 10 in his second.

TCU- Took a 1-10 team, got 7 in his first year. 8 in his second. 10 in his third.

New Mexico- Took over a team that hadn't had more than 4 wins (and only reached that peak twice) in a decade. Second year, winning record. In his final year there, 1997, he got 9 wins, the 2nd highest total in school history and the most they've seen since he left.

If we can do better, great. But in my opinion, there isn't a much better fit out there for what we need and what he can do.

I wouldn't worry about buyouts with him or anyone else in that league. When someone comes in and turns around a program, their success functions as a built-in buyout. The job is infinitely more appealing to worthy candidates when they're taking over a winning bowl team than when they have to come in and turn around a program like the one we've got now.

If it came down to a big buyout vs. getting him (or any similar coach) at a salary we could afford... I'd say give a lot on the buyout price tag in order to secure a lower annual salary.