North Texas Coach Todd Dodge Wouldn't Have His Son

gangrene

Classy response from a class act as a father, as a coach and as a human being. Say what you want about his tenure here at UNT, but he is a fine man and one that I would have been proud to call "coach".

...and friend!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

What a classy guy. It really is too bad that he has not had the success on the field that we all expected, because ouside of that, he has been even better than we could have asked for with representing the program.

People who think Dodge has always been classy at UNT need to read about the Dickey recruit whose scholarship was not honored. The kid didn't even get a call from Dodge. His coach is still pissed off about it. When Dodge goes back to high school where he belongs, I hope their teams meet.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 10

People who think Dodge has always been classy at UNT need to read about the Dickey recruit whose scholarship was not honored. The kid didn't even get a call from Dodge. His coach is still pissed off about it. When Dodge goes back to high school where he belongs, I hope their teams meet.

I worked with a guy that was one of Dodge's assistants pre Southlake. He thought that he was going to be fired and started looking for another job, then Dodge tells him he won't be fired, he gets offered a job by another school and turns it down thinking that his current job is safe only to be fired by Dodge before the end of the school year. Classy guy indeed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

This happens quite a bit when schools have coaching changes, good, bad or otherwise. The new HC needs players that will fit into his system and has a very limited number of scholarships to work with. I don't blame Dodge or any coach for that matter in this situation.

Dodge isn't going back to high school. He'll have no problem getting a job as an assistant somewhere in FBS, if he wants. Despite his poor showing as a head coach, others in the professional still think well enough of him.

He's got something; he just vastly misjudged the differences in the way you run a high school team and a college team. He'd be fine coaching a smaller group of players at this level.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What a contrast to the Dickey ramblings when the writing was on the wall. Dodge is taking full responsibility, completely accepting that the job is (in the end) about winning football games, and NOT bad mouthing the school or the AD. I remember reading crap in the paper every week before and after the DD firing about what a miserable job the NT coaching gig was, how the admin was impossible to work for, how it was the "toughest football coaching job in the entire country" and so on and so on.

Hell, I am sick of losing but I would really love to just reassign Dodge for his final year. We will have to pay him anyway. Reassign him to some QB coach or even something in the AD office - or maybe raising funds for the stadium - or put him on the radio. People have joked and called Dodge the Vic Trilli of football. You know, that is actually a pretty good comparison - and should be taken as a compliment. Tik Vanilla went on to be an Athletic Director at another college and is doing just fine. Dodge really knows how to say the right things.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Dodge isn't going back to high school. He'll have no problem getting a job as an assistant somewhere in FBS, if he wants. Despite his poor showing as a head coach, others in the professional still think well enough of him.

He's got something; he just vastly misjudged the differences in the way you run a high school team and a college team. He'd be fine coaching a smaller group of players at this level.

I think that history would bear you out on this one. One of the other coaches with a terrible record at North Texas, Rod Rust (although he had a great first year with the recruits of his predecessor), went on to become a defensive coordinator for a couple of NFL teams, I believe.

I think that history would bear you out on this one. One of the other coaches with a terrible record at North Texas, Rod Rust (although he had a great first year with the recruits of his predecessor), went on to become a defensive coordinator for a couple of NFL teams, I believe.

Actually, he went on to be a NFL head coach albeit briefly.

I wouldn't be opposed to reassigning him for the purposes of fund raising, PR etc. He's not a bad guy but certainly over matched as a FBS head coach at this point. I think he is so whipped right now that he will want to take a year or two off form coaching and get his head right and clear everything. So it would be a nice opportunity to see if he is willing to be apart of NT athletics in some capacity.

This happens quite a bit when schools have coaching changes, good, bad or otherwise. The new HC needs players that will fit into his system and has a very limited number of scholarships to work with. I don't blame Dodge or any coach for that matter in this situation.

It doesn't happen that often. Schools usually honor the commitments, particularly at programs like UNT that struggle in recruiting. I challenge you to look at Dodge's first recruiting class and tell me there wasn't room for this athlete.

But even if you buy the premise that it is a common practice, Dodge didn't call the kid or his parents. The kid's coach had to call repeatedly to find out.

It was a completely sorry-ass move.

It doesn't happen that often. Schools usually honor the commitments, particularly at programs like UNT that struggle in recruiting. I challenge you to look at Dodge's first recruiting class and tell me there wasn't room for this athlete.

But even if you buy the premise that it is a common practice, Dodge didn't call the kid or his parents. The kid's coach had to call repeatedly to find out.

Come on man, that was 5 years ago. Dodge probably didn't even make that decision. I am sure that RV told him - we want as little to do with Dickey ball as possible, rid us of this poison. The guy did end up going to play somewhere else (I think it was West Texas State?)... Dodge had his hands full with trying to figure out how to become a college football coach, he has one bad PR move from his first month on the job - i will never count the pot smoking and "racism" stuff as a Dodge problem... those were problems that Dodge FIXED when he came to town - I think we can cut him some slack. You have no idea how out of control this program was, unfortunately we lost a life because it was so out of control. He is about to be fired and he is choosing to take the high road when talking about his employer - that is integrity bro. He is taking responsibility for what a head coach should - the W's and L's. And there was no way to tell how many kids would show up from that first recruiting class. Hindsight is definitely 20/20 but is it really neccesary to be bitter about every aspect of Dodge? Outside of the wins and losses, he is a very good man. You can say a lot of things about him - but don't try to take his good name from him.

Edited by stebo
  • Upvote 4

Do you know these people are you sure it was as one sided as your describe. Do you know for sure that Dodge made no attempt to contact these people, or one of his staff? Or is that just what they reported? I am just playing devils advocate. Things are rarely that one sided, and maybe he did slip between the cracks.

Come on man, that was 5 years ago. Dodge probably didn't even make that decision. I am sure that RV told him - we want as little to do with Dickey ball as possible, rid us of this poison.

If true, that would make it all the more insane that Dodge was pretty immediately rehiring Dickey assistants and was starting Dickey players all over the field throughout his entire tenure. I highly doubt Insall was cut for that reason.

Matt Simon is another former UNT HC that went on to have success in the NFL, winning a Super Bowl with the Baltimore Ravens in 2000, as the RB coach. I had to look up the details and, according to Wikipedia, Simon is now serving as HC for the Gilmour Academy Lancers (7-12) and teaching 7th grade PE. Another interesting note about Simon; he served as Dennis Francione's OC at New Mexico.

Dodge is just a football coach with the arrogance knocked out of him. The AD needs to reassign him now so we can start to move forward. The clock mismanagement was all on Canales, but it happens to coaches in the heat of the game. Look at Andy Reid. I would ask why we're not going for broke more often; we have nothing to lose. Anyone ever heard of a fake punt?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Dodge is just a football coach with the arrogance knocked out of him. The AD needs to reassign him now so we can start to move forward. The clock mismanagement was all on Canales, but it happens to coaches in the heat of the game. Look at Andy Reid. I would ask why we're not going for broke more often; we have nothing to lose. Anyone ever heard of a fake punt?

Excellent post

Not quite getting that. Isn't Canales up in the pressbox? I thought clock management was almost always a head coach responsibility.

I've been thinking for a while that this topic has been worn out, although Dodge could have handled it better. It does point out a real problem in recruiting, since, as already pointed out, it is typical for newly hired head coaches NOT to honor previous commitments. If everyone is already (safely enough) betting Dodge will not be here as HC after the end of the season, it makes it easy for potential recruits to avoid committing to North Texas. A guy in our office had a son who had committed to a PAC school a couple of years back. When the HC at that school got fired, my coworker was doing his best to get the son to get in touch with other schools. Sure enough, that offer was not honored.

I've been thinking for a while that this topic has been worn out, although Dodge could have handled it better. It does point out a real problem in recruiting, since, as already pointed out, it is typical for newly hired head coaches NOT to honor previous commitments. If everyone is already (safely enough) betting Dodge will not be here as HC after the end of the season, it makes it easy for potential recruits to avoid committing to North Texas. A guy in our office had a son who had committed to a PAC school a couple of years back. When the HC at that school got fired, my coworker was doing his best to get the son to get in touch with other schools. Sure enough, that offer was not honored.

Didn't SMU has a bureaucratic mix up last year with telling not one but two or three recruits they were not going to be accepted? And that mix up happened just weeks before the start of classes making it extremely difficult for those guys to find a college at all.