Unt Eying Sharpshooter

Cooley

Can't get past the link - not a subscriber. Can you tell us the gist of the article?

Let's just say that if you're excited about the prospect of potentially landing a kid who was a 6' shooting guard and didn't even get a full evaluation by ESPN (no 2009 Rivals listing at all) out of his L.A./Compton high school, and who has since gone on to be the 3rd leading scorer at his Wyoming JUCO... This new target will thrill you.

At least he's grown to 6'2", according to his listing.

Perhaps he's a diamond in the rough, and we're finding someone that's under the radar. And maybe he'll look better this year when he's not playing so much point guard.

If JJ and the guys want him, then I'll try to stay optimistic.

• Upvote 1

Also playing for Casper is a 6'7" or 6'8" SF named Michael Dietz. Wyoming's Mr Basketball coming out of high school, committed to Wyoming but left for personal reasons 3 days into the semester. Averaged 17 ppg and 7 rebounds with 2 blocks per game as a senior on a one-loss state championship team.

ESPN gave him a grade of 82.

I just can't figure out why we're going after what seems to be the 4th or 5th most appealing prospect from last year's roster at a Wyoming JUCO consisting of a bunch of 2 stars and unevaluated prospects.

Volume shooting 2 guards who aren't much over 6' tall aren't exactly a scarcity in the JUCO ranks. There has to be some reason we're on top of this one so early in the season, right?

Edited by TheTastyGreek
  • Upvote 1

I trust Vito and Cooley's insight...however is there any chance we may be looking at the wrong player?

Brandon Walton-Edwards

6'7" 205 forward from FW South Hills.

Just throwing this against the wall since it does seem odd to be after a marginal Wyoming JUCO guard...especially this early.

He is supposedly being eyed as a sixth man.

I don't mean this as a shot at you, so please don't think this is a response directed at you personally.

I'm less than thrilled with us pursuing a JUCO 6th man for a roster that will return 5 scholarship players next year.

Either this guy is way better than the rest of the world thought and seems to still think, or we're really trying to pad our early signing class to ease the recruiting burden through the season. Because this is the exact sort of player a school with our recent history and available 2011 minutes can usually dig up almost anywhere.

• Upvote 1

I don't mean this as a shot at you, so please don't think this is a response directed at you personally.

I'm less than thrilled with us pursuing a JUCO 6th man for a roster that will return 5 scholarship players next year.

Either this guy is way better than the rest of the world thought and seems to still think, or we're really trying to pad our early signing class to ease the recruiting burden through the season. Because this is the exact sort of player a school with our recent history and available 2011 minutes can usually dig up almost anywhere.

aren't you guys freakin out a little prematurely? The kid averaged 12ppg as a frosh in juco, on a team that had other legit D1 prospects. That's pretty respectable

Cooley, I cannot see his numbers, but you said he was a "sharpshooter" in your topic. I assume that he has some impressive scoring or at least high percentage shooting?

You really need to buy a subscription before you drive yourself insane.

Cooley, I cannot see his numbers, but you said he was a "sharpshooter" in your topic. I assume that he has some impressive scoring or at least high percentage shooting?

Hey Chris, congratulations on picking up your PHD. Major accomplishment!

The "UNT Eying Sharpshooter" heading was the title of the article that I linked. I realize that it is a premium site which is why I did not attempt to copy and paste. Additionally, comment on the contents because it was from the much needed UNT Rivals site. It appears that the author/publisher, after scrutiny, went back and changed the heading.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion about the prospect. Like many have commented, I feel it is too early to sign marginal (on paper) prospects; especially Juco's.

Go Mean Green!!!

Looks like one or two of you have been taken out to the woodshed.

http://themeangreenreport.blogspot.com/2010/09/sharpshooter-yeah-walton-qualifies.html

I don't think there's anyone who expressed concern in this thread that hasn't also couched it in faith and confidence in the coaches who built this thing into what it is now.

For every comment about how this guy seems like a reach or a question mark... There's another one saying that there must be some reason that our guys want him early.

If JJ and the guys want this guy, and want him enough to put forth the time and effort (and scholarship) to land him for early signing period, then I hope they get him. But I'm probably going to stay skeptical until I see him play and get convinced in person.

• Upvote 1

Troy,

As stated in my post, thanks for the much needed UNT Rivals site. I used the word "Marginal" but prefaced it with "on paper".

If a guy is the 3rd option out of 5 on the floor, "marginal" maybe geneous! I believe the point you maybe missing is a belief shared by many is that a 1st or 2nd option guy may come available later on first. (by way of transfer)

no one is knocking the kid but asking the question out loud "can we hold off longer and wait?" Because the staff has done a great job lately in getting top visits, this seems to be a fair question.

Alumni and student live and die recruiting year round. You started a Rivals site with 5 star ratings and rankings. You can't ask the public to not comment on what you guys helped create.

Again, love the UNT site!

Cooley, how does Norris look?

RE: Phillips comments

Most on this board have a lot of faith in Jones and Co., however he certainly can be questioned on recruiting; like having two unused ships for this year. Signing one of those easy to recruit off-guards would have greatly helped this years team.

As far as the Wyoming sharpshooter, being that done of us as seen him or probably heard of him before his reported interest; I will trust in the staff on this one.

GrandGreen, both Norris and Jordan Williams looked GREAT!!! This was my first time seeing Norris. He is a pure point guard that has great playmaking abilities. Makes great decisions and gets his teammates the ball at the right spots. He also has a very nice mid-range jumper to keep his defender honest and finishes breaks well. I also liked his physique at a height of only 5-9. I sat upstairs and was able to see Kyan Anderson (North Crowley) play at the same time. Anderson maybe ranked higher but does not have the playmaking abilities as Norris. Don’t get me wrong, would love to get Anderson as well, but they are totally different point guards. On my way out of the IAD, I stopped by the men’s room. Norris was at the next sink to me with a UNT T-Shirt on. I told him that he made a great selection in schools and you tell he really appreciated the compliment.

Jordan Williams is the REAL DEAL! November’s signing date can’t get here soon enough. The kid was a highlight reel all evening. Jarion Henry (6-8 top 10) and Williams compliments each other so well. It was really fun watching these kids having so much fun. Williams is very athletic, quick and versatile. Great 3 point range and can get to the basket at will. Kimball played back to back games and the opponents did not have an answer for Henry or Williams. Jalen Jones (Mansfield Timberview transfer) was not with the team today. I believe he took a visit to UofH this weekend. This Kimball team should be ranked high nationally. Also, Flower Mound Marcus.

Anyway, Williams is clearly the best recruit in the JJ era and Norris the best pure point guard.

I don't think there's anyone who expressed concern in this thread that hasn't also couched it in faith and confidence in the coaches who built this thing into what it is now.

For every comment about how this guy seems like a reach or a question mark... There's another one saying that there must be some reason that our guys want him early.

If JJ and the guys want this guy, and want him enough to put forth the time and effort (and scholarship) to land him for early signing period, then I hope they get him. But I'm probably going to stay skeptical until I see him play and get convinced in person.

I'm gonna try and get another direct defense response from Troy...and without a $10 subscription fee...

37%...ain't a sharpshooter.

Balls in your court, Troy

• Upvote 1

I'm gonna try and get another direct defense response from Troy...and without a $10 subscription fee...

37%...ain't a sharpshooter.

Balls in your court, Troy

At least 100 DI players shot 42% last year (min 60att). I didn't find the full list , but I would guess 37% would be about average or alittle above.

I'm too lazy and hungover from last night to look it up

Edited by NT03