Anyone Else Think This Is The Make Or Break Game?

Dodge has 10 games left to get 7 wins. But, just based off schedule, every week becomes more of a daunting task. But, he still has that chance. I personally think this game is a make it or break it in terms of what to expect. If he loses, then at best starts 1-3 with a Sunbelt win. This is not the same Sunbelt Dickey was coaching. You have to be a good team to win 7+ games in conference which is what it is going to take because I do not see us winning against KSU as it stands today. If he does that, then he may have just turned the corner with this team, because that is going to take a well executed and disciplined team.

I think the Rice game will still swing in his favor. If we finish 6-6 and we have a couple losses close like this that he can point to player mistakes, we may see him next season.

A new related question: If Dodge goes 6-6 AND wins the conference, which means a NOLA bowl trip, does RV keep him? This is possible if all his wins come against Sunbelt teams. I'd say he got lucky and saved his job. Even though he didn't make his 7 wins, how do you fire a coach who won your conference and took you to a bowl?!

Still early in the season and there are lots of scenarios in which he can pull things out. I personally hope he pulls it off, because I don't want the last 4 years to be a waste.

LOL make or break

I want a win, losing sucks

You know, for someone who has the "Will to win" why do you have a "Losers" avatar? Just saying.

While I think the Army game is a must win, we have to remember that conference play is coming up. The team can still turn it around then. As to whether or not I think it would save Dodge's job, I'm not too sure.

In the past, I would think the team would be mentally done, but I think this team still has fight in them. Hopefully we beat Army and this isn't an issue.

Questions.. too many questions. I think we are finally at the cross-roads with this team, just like one during the 2001 season. Many of us didnt give DD or that 2001 team a shot at winning against MTSU. Dustin Dean told me they started winning because they felt they had to save Darrell Dickey's job... even though DD told them not to think about that. I wonder what it takes for a team to play like that BEFORE the axe gets sharpened? I had hoped the Rice game would be a "MUTS-like" turn-around. These players gave everything they had in the Rice game, and I was proud of the fight they put up, but did they believe they could win? I honestly now think the difference in this team and DD's old teams must be coaching. I know we still have issues with kicking, dropped balls and etc..., but there has to be something else missing? Do we have as much or more talent on the field today than we did back then? DD wasnt a fan of closed practices and secret plays. He convinced his players to step up and show everyone they could win, no matter who's watching or the distractions. The fans and Alums stood right next to those players on the practice fields for all of those years. The coaches understood everyone played a part in that team's success, and we all felt like we were a part. Jamario Thomas once ran a sweep right into the alums on the sideline during practice, then looked up at us and said "That'll be a touchdown in Colorado!" We laughed, but we also believed him. We believed because he believed. Darrell Dickey certainly had his flaws. We all know what happened at the end, and how he exited this program. My point is that it was the head coach who motivated players like Chris Hurd(walk-on), Brandon Kenndy(too short), Darrell Daniels(under-sized), Kevin Galbreath(no break-away speed), Scott Hall(other recruiters considerred him a safety), Patrick Cobbs (too small) and others to play with heart and grit every down. None of those guys were five-star athletes, but ALL of those guys were very successful under Dickey. That is a head coach who knew something. THAT something is what is missing from this team. Is that something tha can be taught?, or do we fall under the "we are who we are" banner? I guess we'll know more tomorrow afternoon, one way or another.

Still too many questions...

GMG!!!

<3

I may be the exception, but I do believe that Dodge will get seven or more wins before the season is done. It's the forty something losses that will be the hard part to take.

Anyone Else Think This Is The Make Or Break Game?

Folks, that game came and went this past week. Now it's just a morbid game of Four-Little-Indians until something official can be announced, then Dodge can coach the remainder of the season before resigning and handing the reins to the new coach.

You go from "this team will win 8 or 9 games" to "fire the coach" after game 3? The bipolarness in your posts have never been more apparent.

Dodge has to win 7 to keep his job. When it is impossible for him not to win 7, then RV may or may not look to make an immediate replacement.

It is pointless until we are 6 games into the season, and quite frankly unfair to Dodge, to make a move before that.

But, if I were RV, I'd already be going through the rolladex.

Look, I am desperately hoping for better. I am clinging to a fantasy that this thing will turn around. I want to believe there are 9 wins in this team.

But...the same mistakes over and over and over again. You just start to wonder whether this thing is even close. The scores look close.

I guess it just gets weary losing. Like a dog that's been beat too much, I'm now curling up at the first sign of trouble.

I think our offense duplicates its Clemson efforts and runs over Army, today. Derek Thompson comes of age today.

I'm more worried about FAU (who we have never beaten even during 1 or 2 of our bowl years) than Army to be honest about it.

I'm also worried about posters on GMG.com who will be developing peptic ulcers due to all this "will he or will he not pull it off this season" drama, too.

I worry about if we get a new UNT HFC next season if we will have to change to yet another new shade of green and worse :scared: new fonts for an either white or green helmet.

Much to worry about when you are North Texas Ex and/or a poster on GoMeanGreen.com

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I may be the exception, but I do believe that Dodge will get seven or more wins before the season is done. It's the forty something losses that will be the hard part to take.

Folks, that game came and went this past week. Now it's just a morbid game of Four-Little-Indians until something official can be announced, then Dodge can coach the remainder of the season before resigning and handing the reins to the new coach.

I guess I am the exception also....I don't see 5 wins on this schedule, especially after what we have seen last week. 38 games in our special teams are STILL a train wreck.

• Upvote 2

I thought and think that Rice was a "Must Win" to set the tone for the season. This game against Army is all but a statical do or die game, we need to win it period. What really upset me with the Rice game is we should have won and won with points to spare. But instead we beat ourselves time and time again in that game with mistakes that I figured would be fixed by now. We are lucky the Defense showed up to keep the game respectful. Special teams just can't be this bad, but they still are. Riley calls and receiver drops blew my mind and our secondary on the D is much shakier then I hoped.

Maybe we will see and I hope we do see Derek Thompson bring a spark that sets off a wild fire of winning. But my hopes are starting to fade, come on wild fire.

I agree. This team needs a spark. If it doesn't find one, then this game against Army will only further the debate regarding how far below expectations this team might fall.

I watched the Mean Green Insider and saw the interview with Thompson. Part of me kind of wished he would have gone "Broadway Joe" and guaranteed a victory at Army. This team needs someone to step up, believe in them, and issue a challenge.