109. Arkansas State

110. Louisiana-Monroe

118. Middle Tennessee

123. Louisiana

129. North Texas

139. Western Kentucky

140. Florida International

Edited by NT80

Has the Sun Belt ever been above the MAC in this guy's poll? Maybe so, but above anyone else besides the MAC?

I realize we're stuck in the SBC for however long & some on this board are trying to equate hanging in or being loyal to the rest of our league as something tantamount to good and valiant, but what good did it do the captain of the Titanic for hanging in there with his ship no matter what? NOTE: Remember how just a few short weeks ago how loyal Texas A&M U was going to be toward their bobbsy-twin fellow PUF school, ie, the University of Texas (Austin) with their SEC flirtation? Keep your eyes on that situation still happening in the future.

I realize our choices are slim or none for this moment in time, but many just don't see this league ever busting thru to a BCS bowl a la Boise State or TCU--especially some of the media who have stated such. Surely the SBC may one day have a lights out football program (hopefully ours very soon) but the usual state of SBC lower division opponents will keep that presently ''got it going on" SBC school from getting significant votes from the Coaches Poll.

It's like we're stuck in a quagmire that we are going to have to have some special friends to help us get out. Before the WAC dissolved and "only" with an eastern division comprised of UNT, U of L, Ark. St and La Tech that might have been our ticket out but--that all disappeared permanently when Boise left and we knew all the other SBC aforementioned schools were not intereseted in a WAC w/o Boise, Fresno or Nevada. That WAC would have been as impotent as the league we're in as far as getting key votes from the Coach's Poll, ie, the poll that determines the Big 4 BCS bowl opponents. In fact, the SBC may soon have bragging rights but I don't know how much bragging there should be over a league that has disappeared or disbanded off the NCAA radar.

Back On Subject: UNT should be inside the 100 or at least 100, but (still) at those nosebleed numbers, why even count other than to measure progress I suppose. We did make it out of the Bottom 10, right?:blink:

When this program gets inside the Top 50 programs in the NCAA that's when we know we are doing the kinds of things we haven't done for decades and for those of you born after the mid-1970's you would only be able to read about what I'm talking about here.

UNT in the Top 50? We were never going to do that with Fouts Field as home in today's NCAA no matter how many times you painted that ol' t&rd of a facility with every shade of green known to man; that is, this venue that has held us back on at least 1 or 2 upwardly bound opportunties. As long as we had Fouts--no one ever took us serious about our commitment to the higher echelons of the NCAA and that goes all the way back to the Fry era, too.

Ask UNT consultant Chuck Neinas about Fout's past affects on this athletic program. Ask every UNT AD and/or head football coach prior and up to our present ones.

Yet I'm sure Chuck Neinas would not sugar coat our 50 plus year loveless marriage with Fouts Field just to tickle our ears at all but would tell it like it is and.............whatever he would tell us would not be a revelation to most on this board, either but what the hell.........

...........I suppose that is why we are now building one helluva' football palace over at our Mean Green Village, right?:rolleyes::) AND........10 months before completion we are already reaping benefits from all that I'm hearing, too; albeit I think a few decades ago many still on this board said such things like that would happen by replacing Fouts Field, right?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Until we actually win a game we will not get any respect

Sagarin's ratings have nothing to do with respect, they just "are".

And at this point in the season, they're VERY heavily influenced by the preseason rating. Which is very heavily influenced by the final rating from the previous season....

No. There are only a 120 D1/FBS teams. Sagarin's crappy ranking system doesn't compare apples to apples.

it includes 1aa schools as well, which means that a number of them are ranked higher than us because we probably couldn't beat them. jackson state and s.dakota st. come to mind.i have found his ranking to be very accurate over the years. don't understand your "apples to apples" coment.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

it includes 1aa schools as well, which means that a number of them are ranked higher than us because we probably couldn't beat them. jackson state and s.dakota st. come to mind.i have found his ranking to be very accurate over the years. don't understand your "apples to apples" coment.

Don't understand your constant negativity towards the program and calling players "hot dogs." What is your beef with the program?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't understand your constant negativity towards the program and calling players "hot dogs." What is your beef with the program?

when you have only won 10 games in 5 years, you can't afford players whose selfish actions [look at me] cause a flag that leads to your opponents scoring another touchdown. regarding our ranking of 129th which includes 1aa schools, it seems about right to me. why is this negative? untill we actualy beat someone other that western ky.,perhaps we should quit whinning about our sargin ranking and "unfair" celebration calls and just play football.i am just tired of excuses for our being the worst team in the worst 1a conference. i guess that is my beef.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

I can't argue with the ranking it what is, we have to win to move up the list. A good time to start is this Saturday.

I can't argue with the ranking it what is, we have to win to move up the list. A good time to start is this Saturday.

You couldn't have said it better. It is what it is. Do we deserve a higher ranking? Who knows. Do we have a chance moving up significantly this year? Yes. But we have to start winning games on the scoreboard. There's no more room for moral wins and rubbish like that.

Nope. I remember when UTEP came to Clemson in '97, Tommy West's last and most dismal (3-8) campaign. We beat them 39-7 and I remember thinking UTEP just made me sad, they were so incompetent. They're a team everyone has heard of. I knew nothing about NT before this year. You guys just took on a team expected to challenge a revitalized FSU for the ACC Atlantic, ran up and down the field and basically impressed the hell out of me regardless of the score. The Sun Belt is way overlooked, talent-wise, and you guys have your share. I am convinced you will have a solid season.

• Upvote 3