Kc Ross Miller To Fiu

HoopManX

That guy is taking on far too many risks. He's going to leave FIU in worse shape than Early left ULM.

No real risk in taking Miller, as he has to redshirt anyway. Of course, he could just fail out, but something tells me that'll be hard at FIU. They are putting together a nice nucleus athletically anyways

• Downvote 1

No real risk in taking Miller, as he has to redshirt anyway. Of course, he could just fail out, but something tells me that'll be hard at FIU. They are putting together a nice nucleus athletically anyways

And two, Ferguson and Taylor, of that nucleus have already been ruled ineligible for at least this first semester. Ross-Miller may be simply a casualty of God's Academy, but he's still a risk and it shows Thomas's willingness to gamble on multiple talented players with no concern for grades and APR.

Plus, now FIU has two players, Ross-Miller and Alex Legion, who will be sitting out all of the 2011 season...that is always a risk as well.

If he were coming to NT, most of us would be singing his virtues.

You're probably right...but tell me the other gambles JJ has taken on players. He and Isiah may have taken the same number of risks on kids in each of their college coaching careers.

Thing is, I don't think FIU is hiding from the fact they are a pseudo-rogue program right now. It's a glorified commuter school, where the regular student body isn't particularly competitive, so borderline ballers are par for the course. Memphis is the same way on a larger scale. It's just an easy school to get into, stay in etc.

Thing is, I don't think FIU is hiding from the fact they are a pseudo-rogue program right now. It's a glorified commuter school, where the regular student body isn't particularly competitive, so borderline ballers are par for the course. Memphis is the same way on a larger scale. It's just an easy school to get into, stay in etc.

I don't even think Isaiah knows, or cares, what an APR is.

Any open NBA jobs out there?

Guys, don't knock FIU's academics; they are the best in the Sun Belt. Not quite the caliber of SMU's but fairly tough admission standards nonetheless.

IT's name may get them there but that doesn't mean that they will get in.

Where do you get that little fact about the best academics in the Sunbelt? And, what makes their academic standards any higher than UNT's? Not arguing, just asking.

You know, "GrayEagle", it "ain't your Father's" UNT admissions office and priogram these days. I have seen many prospective students be turned away due to current admissions standards. Heck, even in Denton there are students enrolled at TWU, a very good university in its own right, that could not meet UNT's academic standards. If you are comparing the UNT of yesterday to taday...look again.

Edited by KRAM1

Hello,

I don't know what UNT's standards are, but if I recall correctly, the only university in the SBC that has better academics than FIU (based on several ratings categories including US News, Princeton Review, Forbes and the Carnegie Foundation) is the University of Denver (Private). In 2009 FIU had a 35% acceptance rate. FIU (and UD) are the only SBC schools with both a College of Law and a School of Medicine.

As it relates to the recruits, if Coach Thomas was hell bent on getting FIU on probation, these guys would be playing not sitting out. Clearly FIU's Compliance Department is keeping track of players eligibility (something which the FIU football team got in trouble for in the past vacating wins and losing several scholarships). I don't see how we are a "rouge" program, what is Coach Thomas doing that is against NCAA rules? Recruiting players that had been offered scholarships by plenty of other programs (including some Power 6 conference schools)? The only thing I'm worried about is what the APR effect the ineligibility of these guys might have (if they never step foot on the court, as some of you HOPE, do they even count for APR purposes? I don't know). Of course lets not look at the fact that the FIU Men's Basketball team's APR and GPA actually rose this past year, that doesn't help your narrative about Coach Thomas so better to ignore that.

I'm not sure how this experiment is going to work out for us in the long run, but so far I'm happy with what he has done. You may believe it or not, but last year's FIU Men's Basketball team was the best coached team we have had since I've been following the school (1996). The team had absolutely no big men, no real point guard, saddled with injuries the entire season and had no consistent shooter, it was a miracle they won any games (remember, they lost to a DII school during exhibitions). I'm looking forward to having a more complete team and to hopefully getting Ferguson and Taylor back for the Spring, when the real fun begins!

Where do you get that little fact about the best academics in the Sunbelt? And, what makes their academic standards any higher than UNT's? Not arguing, just asking.

You know, "GrayEagle", it "ain't your Father's" UNT admissions office and priogram these days. I have seen many prospective students be turned away due to current admissions standards. Heck, even in Denton there are students enrolled at TWU, a very good university in its own right, that could not meet UNT's academic standards. If you are comparing the UNT of yesterday to taday...look again.

Edited by FIUPantherFan
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hello,

I don't know what UNT's standards are, but if I recall correctly, the only university in the SBC that has better academics than FIU (based on several ratings categories including US News, Princeton Review, Forbes and the Carnegie Foundation) is the University of Denver (Private). In 2009 FIU had a 35% acceptance rate. FIU (and UD) are the only SBC schools with both a College of Law and a School of Medicine.

As it relates to the recruits, if Coach Thomas was hell bent on getting FIU on probation, these guys would be playing not sitting out. Clearly FIU's Compliance Department is keeping track of players eligibility (something which the FIU football team got in trouble for in the past vacating wins and losing several scholarships). I don't see how we are a "rouge" program, what is Coach Thomas doing that is against NCAA rules? Recruiting players that had been offered scholarships by plenty of other programs (including some Power 6 conference schools)? The only thing I'm worried about is what the APR effect the ineligibility of these guys might have (if they never step foot on the court, as some of you HOPE, do they even count for APR purposes? I don't know). Of course lets not look at the fact that the FIU Men's Basketball team's APR and GPA actually rose this past year, that doesn't help your narrative about Coach Thomas so better to ignore that.

I'm not sure how this experiment is going to work out for us in the long run, but so far I'm happy with what he has done. You may believe it or not, but last year's FIU Men's Basketball team was the best coached team we have had since I've been following the school (1996). The team had absolutely no big men, no real point guard, saddled with injuries the entire season and had no consistent shooter, it was a miracle they won any games (remember, they lost to a DII school during exhibitions). I'm looking forward to having a more complete team and to hopefully getting Ferguson and Taylor back for the Spring, when the real fun begins!

I think the way most followers of Sun Belt hoops outside of Miami are viewing the FIU/Thomas situation is akin to your friend having a girlfriend that none of his buddies like. Sure, she's hot, but hot is really a dime a dozen...because of her our Friday poker game has a usual vacant seat, she's making you eat vegetarian and everytime we all go out for drinks she doesn't talk with anybody, stands impatiently with her Grey Goose and Cranberry (why she insists upon Goose with a mixer where you can't taste the vodka is beyond us)and asks you to go home at 11pm. We think she's wrong for you...but we don't see what goes on in the bedroom and when you two are off by yourself. Maybe she really gets you and encourages your artistic side. Maybe you guys will marry and live happily ever after and your friends will realize at the wedding that they were wrong...

Or perhaps she is actually trying to mold you into her image of a mate, with complete disregard for your wants...she stifles your creativity and tells you that you need to stop bartending and settle down and get a real job, no matter how much you love your work. So, perhaps to please her, you take a 9-5 at an insurance company and are willing to sit through the misery for your perceived love, but she decides you're not the one and up and leaves you for a mortgage broker in Kansas City...yeah, effing Kansas City...leaving you in downward spiral of depression and alcoholism.

Ya know...just off the top of my head...

• Upvote 6

That was hillarious! :lol: The only problem with your anology of the girlfriend changing our habits and the way we use to be is that the FIU BBall program's only real tradition and history was a losing one. Not a single winning season in more than a decade. So if the new girlfriend annoys our friends by trying to change our bad habits, I think we can live with that.

www.FIUGoldenPanthers.com

I think the way most followers of Sun Belt hoops outside of Miami are viewing the FIU/Thomas situation is akin to your friend having a girlfriend that none of his buddies like. Sure, she's hot, but hot is really a dime a dozen...because of her our Friday poker game has a usual vacant seat, she's making you eat vegetarian and everytime we all go out for drinks she doesn't talk with anybody, stands impatiently with her Grey Goose and Cranberry (why she insists upon Goose with a mixer where you can't taste the vodka is beyond us)and asks you to go home at 11pm. We think she's wrong for you...but we don't see what goes on in the bedroom and when you two are off by yourself. Maybe she really gets you and encourages your artistic side. Maybe you guys will marry and live happily ever after and your friends will realize at the wedding that they were wrong...

Or perhaps she is actually trying to mold you into her image of a mate, with complete disregard for your wants...she stifles your creativity and tells you that you need to stop bartending and settle down and get a real job, no matter how much you love your work. So, perhaps to please her, you take a 9-5 at an insurance company and are willing to sit through the misery for your perceived love, but she decides you're not the one and up and leaves you for a mortgage broker in Kansas City...yeah, effing Kansas City...leaving you in downward spiral of depression and alcoholism.

Ya know...just off the top of my head...

That was hillarious! :lol: The only problem with your anology of the girlfriend changing our habits and the way we use to be is that the FIU BBall program's only real tradition and history was a losing one. Not a single winning season in more than a decade. So if the new girlfriend annoys our friends by trying to change our bad habits, I think we can live with that.

True...but some girls seek out losers to make themselves feel better about their own lives and shortcomings...they like the feeling of control and know that their "loser" of a guy will never cheat on her b/c she thinks that she is the best he could ever do. She know's she's gone slumming though, so when something better (somehow a GD mortgage broker is better than a bartending writer...bitch) she has no hesitation leaving with no concern for your feelings.

But hey...for the betterment of the conference I hope to make a toast at your wedding!

I can work with this one too. So let's say, I'm this loser guy and my options, in your scenario, are the following:

1. "Spend time" (euphemism for those that are not yet of age) with a HOT girl who is only with me until she finds the next best thing.... OR...

2. continue to be a loser and never get to "experience" the HOT girl

Do I even need to tell you which one most guys are going to chose? Especially when we are well aware that we are not going to get married to the hot girl anyway. It's just a one night stand, but it's going to be a HOT (CALIENTE) night! Go F I U!

True...but some girls seek out losers to make themselves feel better about their own lives and shortcomings...they like the feeling of control and know that their "loser" of a guy will never cheat on her b/c she thinks that she is the best he could ever do. She know's she's gone slumming though, so when something better (somehow a GD mortgage broker is better than a bartending writer...bitch) she has no hesitation leaving with no concern for your feelings.

But hey...for the betterment of the conference I hope to make a toast at your wedding!

I can work with this one too. So let's say, I'm this loser guy and my options, in your scenario, are the following:

1. "Spend time" (euphemism for those that are not yet of age) with a HOT girl who is only with me until she finds the next best thing.... OR...

2. continue to be a loser and never get to "experience" the HOT girl

Do I even need to tell you which one most guys are going to chose? Especially when we are well aware that we are not going to get married to the hot girl anyway. It's just a one night stand, but it's going to be a HOT (CALIENTE) night! Go F I U!

Problem is, when you wake up in the morning and the booze has worn off, you realize that really HOT girl has severe horse face and the mamilary glands of a 30 year old milk cow. That girl that looked to be 22 at 2am in that dark bar now is showing her full 40+ years in the morning sun.

After she leaves, her old boyfriend (the NCAA) calls to tell you that she has a veneral disease that takes 4 years to cure (NCAA violations).

Have another shot of tequila. It's on me.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 3 months later...

K.C. Ross-Miller is now at New Orleans. Because of their transitional status, he can play right now and transfer anywhere he wants once the season is over.

Played 6 minutes with a point, an assist, a steal, and a block.

Nice find.

So is Ross-Miller someone that JJ should still be interested in? His early carreer looks much like Flemmings. He's got talent, no question, he's just bouncing around everywhere.

Nice find.

So is Ross-Miller someone that JJ should still be interested in? His early carreer looks much like Flemmings. He's got talent, no question, he's just bouncing around everywhere.

I think I'm in the "let's just stay away" camp

• Upvote 1

Nice find.

True, but JJ seems to do quite well with these type of high talent, underachieving players.

• 3 years later...