Last Minute Qb Speculation

glick1980

Really tough call. Neither really distinguished themselves at Saturday's scrimmage, so hard for me to call. But, I will go with Tune because of his experience and because he is a senior and because I don't think Thompson has done enough to show that he should clearly be the starter at Clemson. How it will shake out as the season goes along, who knows? But, I think Nathan gets the nod.

Either way...GO MEAN GREEN!

Really tough call. Neither really distinguished themselves at Saturday's scrimmage, so hard for me to call. But, I will go with Tune because of his experience and because he is a senior and because I don't think Thompson has done enough to show that he should clearly be the starter at Clemson. How it will shake out as the season goes along, who knows? But, I think Nathan gets the nod.

Either way...GO MEAN GREEN!

I agree with this 100%

I'll throw it out there that whenever Thompson would take over, there seemed to be an immediate pickup in the "pep" with regards to the rest of the offense on the field. NOT a knock against Tune, but this seemed evident as the 2 qb's alternated. Throwing accuracy aside, Thompson also seemed to scan the field better when he was on the move whether by choice or forced out of the pocket. Also, seemed to make good decisions picking the receivers.

Probably Riley Dodge in a bizaar move by the coaching staff.

OK, drex, now that's eerily weird! You know what that sort of posting can do to all the conspiracy theorists on the board. You will get them all excited and the thread hijack will be on.......:lol: Pretty funny.

My guess is that Tune gets the nod (and probable beating) for Clemson and then Thompson takes over after that. I do not think they will start Thompson in the tough situation.

Thompson. Tune's "experience" isn't really all that much experience. Not game changing in my mind. Now if Tune had been our starter for a year or two and they were equal as they seemingly are then yes, start Tune because that experience is significant. My gut says Thompson won't be mentally wrecked by facing a team like Clemson.,

I'm fine with throwing Tune to the supposed wolves at Clemson, but it needs to be someone else for the majority of the season. What I fear the most is wasting Dunbar's senior season, not to mention stadium opening momentum, breaking in another new starter.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This coaching staff has to role the dice and hope they come up big. It has to be Thompson, maybe not for Clemson, but for every game thereafter, if this staff hopes to win 7 games. They have to hope that the player they saw for one series in his freshman year is the real deal. They have to hope that he can be a top tier Sunbelt QB this year.

It's time to gamble.

It seems apparent that there was no clear separation between Tune and Thompson. I have to go with Tune and his senior experience until he demonstrates he can't get the job done.

Tough call, they are both good.

My guess is that Tune gets the nod (and probable beating) for Clemson and then Thompson takes over after that. I do not think they will start Thompson in the tough situation.

I think you could be right. Thompson my in fact be the better choice at this point, but they want to protect him at this point in terms of injury at a Clemson team that beats us by 5 TD's.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I hope not, because I think that is a crappy way to treat Tune.

• Upvote 2

I have not seen the practices but Tune did a great job at Alabama last year. Nathan looks bigger/stronger this season I think the QB job is his to lose. Overall I think we have a great situation at QB, Thompson as a backup for a year is not a bad thing. I have no problem with him playing the last quarter of the game at Clemson if we are out of it. Thompson will get playing time this season.

I think you could be right. Thompson my in fact be the better choice at this point, but they want to protect him at this point in terms of injury at a Clemson team that beats us by 5 TD's.

So my memory is fading. Someone please refresh me. In the last 5 years how many QB's have we lost to injury when playing one of our opportunity games (formerly known as body bag or pay day games.)?

And BTW - isn't our O-line suppose to be a major strength of our team? Thanks for believing in those guys and their ability to protect the QB.

• Upvote 2

So my memory is fading. Someone please refresh me. In the last 5 years how many QB's have we lost to injury when playing one of our opportunity games (formerly known as body bag or pay day games.)?

And BTW - isn't our O-line suppose to be a major strength of our team? Thanks for believing in those guys and their ability to protect the QB.

I agree with this. We haven't even seen this team play one down and we are already saying we will lose by 5 TD's...I think our offensive line can do better than hold their own against Clemson, I think they can dominate them, and every other team on our schedule. We also have Lance Dunbar, one of the best RB's in the nation. If we can get a couple turnover's and a few stops on defense we have a shot to win the game and any game we play...

I am going with Thompson because he is athletic enough to run and is a gamer.....What do you guys think?

Tune is not a deep passer and/or a completion passer on 3rd down. Granted Thompson is young, but he can run which will help prevent forced throws from the pocket. Everyone wants a winning season, but the beat is not to the Tune of Tune..... ;)