North Texas Preview

Harry

In order for us to see Todd Dodge in the new stadium, he must win 6 games this year. I think the only way he stays if he wins less than 6 games is if we knock off Clemson or K-state. It would really be great to see K-state lose to the Sun Belt two years in a row. I think we have a shot at K-state, but I think the Clemson game may get ugly.

Dodge himself has said 7 games. Personally, I think 6 may save him. The other factor to consider is the team loses a lot of good players next season. When I see prognosticators say they think North Texas will get better next year I question that. Yes Lance will be back, but we lose Jamaal Jackson, Outlaw, Santiago, Drake, Gill, Robertson and both Kelvin Jackson and Shavod will be gone. 23 senior are out after this year. This team has become very JUCO laden which means we will lose a good chunk next year as well. With our record over the last 5 years you understand why we have had to go so heavily juco but in my opinion this is not how we best build the program long term.

Seems like a fair assessment. My question for the board is 4-8, bringing Dodge to a 9-39 over 4 years enough to keep the guy?

No. 7 wins will guarantee he comes back, although I don't see a tremendously long extension coming out of it. 6 wins could bring him back as long as none of our losses are embarrassments.

RV is going to determine after the season... he hits 6 wins I think he is back at least one more year, hell if he hits 5 wins and we are competitive and close in the games then I think he gets another try at it too. If it is only 4 wins and he loses all of the other games by a combined 14 points then I still don't see him coming back next year.

• Upvote 1

RV is going to determine after the season... he hits 6 wins I think he is back at least one more year, hell if he hits 5 wins and we are competitive and close in the games then I think he gets another try at it too. If it is only 4 wins and he loses all of the other games by a combined 14 points then I still don't see him coming back next year.

Until after the season, it is just impossible to tell. If he loses the first 6 in a row, then wins out and actually blows out K State how do you fire the guy. Or lose to Clemson, 7 straight wins, followed by 4 progressively worse blow outs how to you keep him. That is exactly why you wait till the season is over to do evaluations of coaches.

We'll see. 4 & 8 sounds about right. Maybe 5 & 7. Never really could get on board with all the Dodge ball hype, so If Mr. Todd Dodge is gone I won't be surprised. I'm am more surprised that Gary DeLoach's defensive teams haven't been better of late. It's always been my belief that Mr. Deloach was the best, if not one of the best coaches on any staff we've had at UNT. I've heard Mr. Deloach doesn't like in home recruiting visits, but I could be off base on that also.

I know this team won't do much better than 4 & 8 if the defense doesn't show up. Mr. Dodge's system sure does keep the defense out on the field a lot. I think that might be as big a factor in our defensive woe's as anything else also. Dickey may have run the draw a lot, but at times the defense was able to rest a little.

The Rice game a couple of years ago was 77 to 20 and could have been 100 to 20, so we'll know by the second week of the season what our team's looking like. Rice had some decent talent that year also. Maybe they won't be as tough this time around. If they are our season is going to get ugly quick.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Rice game a couple of years ago was 77 to 20 and could have been 100 to 20, so we'll know by the second week of the season what our team's looking like. Rice had some decent talent that year also. Maybe they won't be as tough this time around. If they are our season is going to get ugly quick.

The results of that game are not attributable so much to Rice's talent as to a North Texas team that--except for Tobe Nwigwe--gave up.

• Upvote 1

Dodge himself has said 7 games. Personally, I think 6 may save him. The other factor to consider is the team loses a lot of good players next season. When I see prognosticators say they think North Texas will get better next year I question that. Yes Lance will be back, but we lose Jamaal Jackson, Outlaw, Santiago, Drake, Gill, Robertson and both Kelvin Jackson and Shavod will be gone. 23 senior are out after this year. This team has become very JUCO laden which means we will lose a good chunk next year as well. With our record over the last 5 years you understand why we have had to go so heavily juco but in my opinion this is not how we best build the program long term.

DODGE MUST WIN 7 GAMES this season to return in 2011. the real problem is that whoever is coach next year must rebuild a team that has done nothing past 3 seasons, and is projected to achieve little this year. i see no light at end of tunnel.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3