What Is Your Favorite Beer?

UNTLifer

The first one I had was interesting, to say the least. Two or more were not good.

They didn't bother me until I talked to my local beer merchant and he said they had so much left in the late fall that they couldn't bring in as much Holiday Cheer as usual.

Great beer. The have the oldest brewery in American in Pennsylvania, but also took over the closed Budweiser/Strohs brewery in Tampa or St Pete and build a beautiful new brewery somewhere in upstate New York. When last I heard, the closest it was available with Tennessee.

Toured the Pottsville, PA brewery last summer. It's amazing that thing is still standing. The don't brew much there anymore, have another facility in the area that handles most of the brewin'.

I consumed a couple of cases of Smokehaus...it was "different". I haven't seen any on the shelf THIS summer. The holiday brew was also "different". With apologies to whomever, I can take or leave fruity beer.

I consumed a couple of cases of Smokehaus...it was "different". I haven't seen any on the shelf THIS summer. The holiday brew was also "different". With apologies to whomever, I can take or leave fruity beer.

Yeah, Holiday is good as like a desert beer, but no idea how people sit and drink several of them at a time.

If you haven't done the tour of the Rahr brewery in Fort Worth you need to go. It is basically a big party with hundreds of people cramed into the brewery with free beer. A great way to waste a Saturday morning.

Murphy's and New Castle are usually my first two choices. For a lighter lager, Yuengling Lager is excellent. For cheap beer, you can't go wrong with Miller High Life. It doesn't make sense to pay a premium for any domestic light beers since they all taste like water anyways.

Coors light, or as I call it the fountain of youth.

Or keystone for bp. I can't really do hard liquor, I've just been there done that but I guess I would go with grey goose if I had to. I can't believe people routinely slam shots of jager, that stuff is pure garbage.

I knew there had to be a KEYSTONE drinker in the group somewhere==========

Budvar (in Czech Republic) Czechvar (in the US)... damn good stuff but the god people over at Budweiser are, and have been, in the proces of suing the god people at Budvar for the rights to the name in Europe.

This is a very sore subject with the Czechs. The original Budweiser was brewed in the town of Ceska Budejovice (Budweis in German) in the Czech Republic. The naming rights battle has been going on since the 1870's.

The Czech's also claim that American Budweiser gives their Budvar beer a bad name ;)

I'll drink pretty much any beer at any given time. I guess it just depends on my mood and the time, place and food I'm enjoying the beer. One that I do really like, but have only found at one restaurant in the DFW area, is Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse Natürtrub. The staple beer for me is Coor's Light, although I've been drinking a lot of Bud Select Light 55 lately. I also enjoy many of the Shiner and Samuel Adams varieties as well as Ziegenbach. Some of the imports I enjoy are Tsing Tao, Kirin Light, Amstel Light, Harp, Hoegarden White Beer, San Miguel Carlsburg, Asahi, Bavaria, Paulaner and Corona Light. I've found that your selection gets really limited when traveling to other countries, but it's great because it makes you try a lot of new beers. I had several different brands in Brazil that I can't even recall the names but haven't seen any of them here in the US. Same goes for my travels to Asia. A lot of places will have Budweiser and possibly Coors or Miller brands but I prefer to sample the local flavors.

For anyone interested in beers around the globe, I highly recommend "Beers of the World," by David Kenning.

BTW, Pabst was just sold for $250 million today.

San Miguel

Pale Pilsner or Dark? I was actually surprised to see that one listed here. I prefer the Pale Pilsner and San Mig Light but I've also had the "extra strong" Red Horse on an occasion or two. How about Ginebra?

PlummMeangreen...You're thinking of W. C. Fields.

ibleedgreen, you know those times when you know the name, it's on the tip of your tongue, it drives you crazy that you can't come up with the name and you won't do another thing until you come up with the name? Now I lost my train of thought, what we talking about here? :unsure:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

This is a very sore subject with the Czechs. The original Budweiser was brewed in the town of Ceska Budejovice (Budweis in German) in the Czech Republic. The naming rights battle has been going on since the 1870's.

The Czech's also claim that American Budweiser gives their Budvar beer a bad name ;)

True dat! Had several such discussions in Prague last summer on this very subject. Frankly, I agree with the Czechs on this one. American Bud does give Budvar a bad name.

Oldest Brewery in America...damn good beer and at least for us Yanks it is one of the cheapest. If you're planning a trip to NYC for the Army game (or any other time, I suppose) you're more than likely find Yuengling on tap and it should be one of the cheapest pints/pitchers.

And to avoid looking like a tourist, its pronounced ying-ling.

That sounds Chinese. This proud ass American ain't drinkin no Chinese commie beer.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

True dat! Had several such discussions in Prague last summer on this very subject. Frankly, I agree with the Czechs on this one. American Bud does give Budvar a bad name.

Yes sir... It certainly does give Budvar a bad name. There is nothing like getting to drink a fresh mug of that stuff fresh from the tap. I had the pleasure last summer to visit the brewery in Ceska Budejovice and sample it from the brewery it self. fantastic. But we cannot forget that there are so many fantastic breweries in Czech, the truth is that any village of more than 1,000 people it seems has its own brewery and most of them mix up some amazing and tasty brew.

If you haven't done the tour of the Rahr brewery in Fort Worth you need to go. It is basically a big party with hundreds of people cramed into the brewery with free beer. A great way to waste a Saturday morning.

Murphy's and New Castle are usually my first two choices. For a lighter lager, Yuengling Lager is excellent. For cheap beer, you can't go wrong with Miller High Life. It doesn't make sense to pay a premium for any domestic light beers since they all taste like water anyways.

Agree about the Rahr tour, but it is closed for tours at the moment and they are not producing product in bottles at this time due to an event at the brewery during a big spring storm. The local Rahr rep told me they should have "product" back in the local market within the next two weeks, and the brewery tours should resume in just a few more weeks. Great fun.

Yes sir... It certainly does give Budvar a bad name. There is nothing like getting to drink a fresh mug of that stuff fresh from the tap. I had the pleasure last summer to visit the brewery in Ceska Budejovice and sample it from the brewery it self. fantastic. But we cannot forget that there are so many fantastic breweries in Czech, the truth is that any village of more than 1,000 people it seems has its own brewery and most of them mix up some amazing and tasty brew.

Man, were we there at the same time???? I was there in September and also did Munich for Oktoberfest and Bamberg for their great breweries and some unique smokebeer. When were you in Prague? Small world.

Man, were we there at the same time???? I was there in September and also did Munich for Oktoberfest and Bamberg for their great breweries and some unique smokebeer. When were you in Prague? Small world.

I was there in September too! Wow small world indeed! I was not there for fun however. I was sent to work with a few hotels in the city. I did get to spend the weekend out there in a cottage outside of Pilzn with the future in-laws however. Not speaking the same language with them is a bit stressful but nothing a Budvar, a shot of Slivovitz and some old first pressing Stevie Wonder records couldn't fix!

Guest JohnDenver

Anchor Steam Liberty Ale

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/libertyale.htm

Red Hook ESB. Red Hook used to have a Black Hook Nitro Porter. It was the goods. But they killed it.