This is not racial profiling.

Racial profiling is detaining someone for the sole reason that they are black, hispanic, white,, asian, etc..

That's right. The only reason for the detainment is race.

In your above example, there is a speeding violation, which gives the officer probable cause to believe a crime has been committed, therefore more than enough reason to stop the vehicle. In Arizona, proof of American citizenship is required before you are issued an Arizona driver's, therefore producing an Arizona driver's license is producing proof of citizenship.

If you really want the supreme court's definition of racial profiling, read this: http://aclu.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=573

It basically says that it does not matter what the officer's subjective reason for stopping a vehicle/person is, as long as there is an objective violation of the law.

Arizona is 3 for 3 with the 9th circuit upholding previous immigration laws in the past several years.

My apathy is kicking in so I didn't read any of the article, but is a DL the extent of the acceptable ID to establish citizenship?

My apathy is kicking in so I didn't read any of the article, but is a DL the extent of the acceptable ID to establish citizenship?

In Arizona, yes. Different states have different standards for obtaining driver's licenses or ID cards.

Edited by UNT90

So what would be considered "reasonable suspicion" in this situation?

a bunch of people standing under a canopy/facade and running to the trucks that may pull up...

in this situation, i really do think that it would be probable cause to check id's/green card status.

there are a couple of these corners i know of in denton, as well as a couple in lewisville that would be prime property to check the legality of people.

i'm all for people being here legally and contributing in all areas of society, but i don't want people here that shouldn't be. this is my country, not theirs.

i also think that employers should be held accountable to hiring of illegals.

if you are breaking the law and aren't legal...go to your country and mess it up, don't stay in mine!

• Upvote 4

And now the Arizona legislature has amended the law so that it can only be enforced if police have contacted the person for another reason (i.e. traffic violation), therefore there is ZERO chance of racial profiling.

If this law wasn't bulletproof before, it is now.

And now the Arizona legislature has amended the law so that it can only be enforced if police have contacted the person for another reason (i.e. traffic violation), therefore there is ZERO chance of racial profiling.

If this law wasn't bulletproof before, it is now.

I guess time will tell because it's going to face a full assault from the Federal government and the civil rights groups. I noticed Arizona May Day marchers barely numbered a thousand.

I guess time will tell because it's going to face a full assault from the Federal government and the civil rights groups. I noticed Arizona May Day marchers barely numbered a thousand.

The reason you see all the marches and all the Al Sharpton types on TV railing against this is because they know that this law will not be overturned by the courts, so the only hope they have is to apply as much political pressure as possible in the hopes that the Arizona legislature repeals this law. They also hope to pressure other states into not considering laws of this nature. They have already been successful in this phase with statements from Rick (I run conservative and govern liberal) Perry in Texas and Charile (I can't win so I'm an independant) Crist in Florida.

All this law does is enforce federal immigration laws at the state level. Makes you wonder what really motivates those who are opposed.

What the Arizona law is actually doing is forcing the Obama Administration to focus on immigration reform MUCH sooner than they had wanted to. The administration had hoped to be able to delay any immigration reform talk until after the mid-term elections. Well, that plan is now history and they are being forced to deal with it. Like the Arizona law or hate the Arizona law, it just may be the catalyst to get the federal government off their collective rear ends to actually take responsibility for an issue that has been ignored for many many years and by administrations of both parties. The weekend "talking heads" (Al Sharpton, etc.) are forcing the administration's hand, and now we will see where this heads. The Arizona law (given the change recently) will definitely be challenged in court, but it looks pretty strong and may well stand the challenge.

Did anyone else notice the lack of Mexican flags in this year's edition of the immigration march in Dallas and across the nation? A good lesson learned from the last march where you saw nothing but Mexican flags and caused a very big controversy. You do have to hand it to the organizers of this year's march. They learned a very big lesson and executed it well during this year's march.

What the Arizona law is actually doing is forcing the Obama Administration to focus on immigration reform MUCH sooner than they had wanted to. The administration had hoped to be able to delay any immigration reform talk until after the mid-term elections. Well, that plan is now history and they are being forced to deal with it. Like the Arizona law or hate the Arizona law, it just may be the catalyst to get the federal government off their collective rear ends to actually take responsibility for an issue that has been ignored for many many years and by administrations of both parties. The weekend "talking heads" (Al Sharpton, etc.) are forcing the administration's hand, and now we will see where this heads. The Arizona law (given the change recently) will definitely be challenged in court, but it looks pretty strong and may well stand the challenge.

Did anyone else notice the lack of Mexican flags in this year's edition of the immigration march in Dallas and across the nation? A good lesson learned from the last march where you saw nothing but Mexican flags and caused a very big controversy. You do have to hand it to the organizers of this year's march. They learned a very big lesson and executed it well during this year's march.

On the website for the Dallas march it specifically says to bring American flags. It is too bad they have to be told to do it instead of just doing it because they want to be Americans...

• Upvote 1

On the website for the Dallas march it specifically says to bring American flags. It is too bad they have to be told to do it instead of just doing it because they want to be Americans...

Again, all part of the political plan. This has nothing to do with racial profiling and everything to do with politics.

The march numbers from the organizers? 150,000. From the Dallas Police? 25,000.

Politics, plain and simple.

Just thought that I would throw something out there;

JJT said

Maybe those of you who think this law is no big deal will change your mind the first time one of the Rangers' top-rated prospects gets hauled to jail because he didn't have his passport with him on the way from the ballpark.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with asking an immigrant to always carry proof of their legality in the country. We ask for every citizen to carry ID, I don't see a difference here. In fact I know that even in my personal life this is a practice that we feel to be logical and not at all insulting so it is common place and normal at my household. I understand the fears of racial profiling and I think that some of the needed steps are being taken to reduce these risks. Obeying the law is not an option, there are consequences. Immigration should be no different and ina state such as AZ which is effected by illegal immigration more than most they should be allowed to take, what they think, are the needed steps to try and solve it.

As I said earlier in the thread, I don't think that this law will solve the problem. There are many other steps that need to be made in order for immigration reform to be effective. At least this is a step in the direction of dealing with the laws that are on the books already.