13-Year-Old Quarterback Commits To Usc

NT80

This just doesn't seem right. Dangle a scholarship offer in front of the kid's parents at age 13? Then what if this coach (Kiffin) bolts for somewhere else or is fired in a few years, leaving the kid where?

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/13-year-old-quarterback-commits-to-USC-020510?GT1=39002

This just doesn't seem right. Dangle a scholarship offer in front of the kid's parents at age 13? Then what if this coach (Kiffin) bolts for somewhere else or is fired in a few years, leaving the kid where?

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/13-year-old-quarterback-commits-to-USC-020510?GT1=39002

leaving the kid to go wherever he wants. he hasn't signed anything so who really cares about his commitment. ya, it might pan out, but i would think that the chances of that happening are slim to none.

leaving the kid to go wherever he wants. he hasn't signed anything so who really cares about his commitment. ya, it might pan out, but i would think that the chances of that happening are slim to none.

I hope this kids hits it big and has schools busting at his door and on signing day in 5 years, he tells Kiffin to F--- Off much like Kiffin did to Oakland and Tennessee. What a loser, he moves up has done nothing to deserve it.

ya, it might pan out, but i would think that the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Exactly, false hope for the kid and parents. The school or whoever is the coach then in 2016 can revoke the ship away anytime for any reason...injury, kid didn't develop, found a better recruit, etc. and the kid's dream is yanked away.

Is there a limit on early offers? What is to keep USC from offering all the best 13-year-olds now (or any age group) then pull the offers on the ones that don't pan out later? I can see a whole new strategy to recruiting starting out of this for the big programs...offer early, then cull out the bad ones later.

Edited by NT80

It leaves the kid at age 16 with 2 years to commit somewhere else. He'll never go there anyway.

It leaves the kid at age 16 with 2 years to commit somewhere else. He'll never go there anyway.

Dont be so sure about that. Kiffin didn't seek out this kid...it was the other way around. And don't think that the kid just took the offer cuz it seemed cool. This kid has dreamed of playing for SC for years, his dad was even quoted as saying"where else would you want to play college football. USC is the best there is".

• Downvote 1

Do you really care? Lots can and will happen to this kid and USC between now and the time he is a senior in HS. If this commit holds it will be a miracle...injuries, grades, coaching changes, girl friend (teenage "love" can be a deciding factor...stupid, but true), college visits, other offers, scandal at USC, etc., etc. Time will tell. If the kid is that good at 13, well great for him. Stand by for the real decision come several years from now.

Do you think UNT is recruiting him?????

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Check this out. Here come the reverend.

So what college you from?

I'm from USC.

You got to have a scholarship to go to SC?

No, but it helps.

+1 for whoever figures this one out

Boyz in the Hood was a great movie. But I can never, ever, forgive John Singleton for Poetic Justice.

• Upvote 1

What if this kid starts to feel the pressure to perform so SC doesnt tell him "thanks but no thanks"? I think he could start to feel pressure to perfrom and it could affect him negatively or even hinder his development.

Ah yes, the dreaded "performance anxiety". The mere thought of it has ruined many a promising evening.

• Upvote 1