Unt Offensive Coordinator

bdan2002

Did Dodge pick this guy? Sounds strange that he would pick an OC specializing in QBs since that is his specialty.

RV has already said Dodge gets to pick his own people. If you are going to give him an ultimatum, you have to let him pick the people he believes he needs to get the job done. As Bill Parcels once said, "If they want you to cook the dinner, the at least ought to let you shop for the groceries."

• Upvote 1

We're currently in the mandatory 17 day waiting period. After that time period has passed, the hire may or may not be announced.

To that point, it appears many of the other programs are not abiding by the new 17-day waiting period. Several have hired new coaches the same day the old coach left and, in the case of San Jose State, they actually hired their new coach 29 days BEFORE the old coach left. This site is pretty cool for tracking all of the coaching changes: 2009 NCAA Division I Football Coaching Changes

Now, I'm not sure if the 17-day rule applies solely to assistant coaches or if it is also applicable to head coaches, as well as Diet Coke boys.

To that point, it appears many of the other programs are not abiding by the new 17-day waiting period. Several have hired new coaches the same day the old coach left and, in the case of San Jose State, they actually hired their new coach 29 days BEFORE the old coach left. This site is pretty cool for tracking all of the coaching changes: 2009 NCAA Division I Football Coaching Changes

Now, I'm not sure if the 17-day rule applies solely to assistant coaches or if it is also applicable to head coaches, as well as Diet Coke boys.

Good question. I believe the rule for assistant coaches is that it can be less or more than 17 days, as long as the day of the announcement is on an odd-numbered day.

The 17-day rule may be a Texas only situation.

So, do we have to wait 17 days after he was offered the position before he can accept it? :P

Anyone else a little concerned that no "official" report has even mentioned Canales by name yet? It's been more than 24 hours since it was reported that the job was offered to "a coach that coordinated at a BCS school last season" (and I'd probably add another 12-24 hours for that news to leak to a reporter). If Canales was going to accept the job, wouldn't it make sense for him to do so ASAP so he could at least talk to a few recruits (maybe even those he was recruiting for USF) before national signing day next week?

Might we be jumping the gun on this announcement? Or should I just take the advice of the old, wise one and "choose to let the folks who get paid to do this stuff worry about all this 'behind the scenes' stuff???"

No, I was never very good at waiting until Christmas to open my presents.

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking that it's a done deal. And, a darn good one at that for UNT it would appear. I believe we will have an official announcement before the end of the week. These things always take a bit of time at the last second to work out details...not the "OK, let's do it" conversation, but the smaller not that significant but still important stuff. Anyway, that I'll leave to the folks who do that sort of thing for a living...who knows...maybe they are holding off on the "official word" until signing day when they can make a big splash with the class signed and the new OC. Just saying...it might make for an even bigger event.

But, I still think we will get the official word in the very near future...can't wait...this holding my breath thing is getting tough!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1