Source: Decision Made

Brett Vito

I do not think Dr. B has her hand in this as much as we would like to believe, and RV is the only person from the athletic staff who is in on this deal right now. Oh, he might bounce and idea or 2 off of Hank, but that is about it. I think this, that the coaching staff change has been in the works since at least the Army game and probably a couple of weeks before that. And I think Dodge was given an ultimatum, at that time, either everybody (including Dodge) or a couple of the staff members. I believe Dodge is weighing his options as well as trying a power play so to speak. Most coaches stand up for their staff, and don't like for others to tell them who to hire or not hire. I do not know how long Todd Ford and he have been together, but Ford is his right hand so he is not going to break that relationship without a fight. Dr. B has probably given Rick the latitude that if Dodge balks, then he is gone. Just a guess, speculation. Now I will go and beat my head against the wall and post more speculation that I am speculating about at some point. I have probably said a lot of nothing here and i am sorry. This deal is making all our heads hurt!

One of the rumors said this was coming down above RV, but who knows I started pulling my hair out at noon and I am starting to wonder if I can manage a comb over now or just shave off the ragged remains and go bald.

One of the rumors said this was coming down above RV, but who knows I started pulling my hair out at noon and I am starting to wonder if I can manage a comb over now or just shave off the ragged remains and go bald.

One of Johnny Jones assistants has kind of a cool looking comb over; check it out at the next basketball game you go to. On a positive note, at age 62, I still have all my hair, and hardly any of it gray, which I attribute to not having had kids.

This is ridiculous.

The only thing I can think of is that Dodge was presented with the ultimatum of firing his coaches and he balked causing RV to have to scramble.

It sounds like RV didn’t have a plan B or if he did, it wasn’t nailed down.

This is a lose - lose situation all the way around.

The only lose-lose is for the "fan base" to provide consistently uniformed speculation, some of it presented as if fact and accompanied by the empty threats of "fan quit" syndrome (see The Fake's early season rant and two week vacation, as an example).

Christmas is just around the corner, boys and girls. Wait patiently, children. Your day will come, and the 2010 recruiting class is NOT hanging in the balance.

Kissingly,

GMG

Edited by untcampbell

The only lose-lose is for the "fan base" to provide consistently uniformed speculation, some of it presented as if fact and accompanied by the empty threats of "fan quit" syndrome (i.e., The Fake's early season rant).

Christmas is just around the corner, boys and girls. Wait patiently, children. Your day will come, and the 2010 recruiting class is NOT hanging in the balance.

Kissingly,

GMG

Well, at least it doesn't seem like a quickie divorce just before Christmas. I'm still thinking of the original hire as a "whirlwind courtship", as Kragthorpe's hire at Louisville was described. Sometimes the first idea is not the best one.

The only lose-lose is for the "fan base" to provide consistently uniformed speculation,

Is there such a thing as "informed" speculation? But your right, the only ones who are the losers are the fanbase, meaning, you and I. Because we are the only ones who actually care right now about this program due to the fact that it is so extremely irrelevant to the rest of the college football world who could care so little, and why should they? Especially considering the other two programs down the street are currently making history right now while our program on the other hand continues to dig it's own grave for obvious reasons.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

The only lose-lose is for the "fan base" to provide consistently uniformed speculation, some of it presented as if fact and accompanied by the empty threats of "fan quit" syndrome (see The Fake's early season rant and two week vacation, as an example).

Kissingly,

GMG

and the Jewish kids...they can just go.

I will sleep fine tonight either way. Take a pill, if you must, but go distract yourself.

And by the way, the same people who are on this board now (you and I, included) were the only ones that cared before Todd came along, or Dickey, or their two friends and so on.

Unless you count the other 11,000-26,000, depending on which of the six games played at home this year, that cared enough to show up to at least one game. I talk to fans at every game that know nothing about this board, or about the inside politics of North Texas athletics, or about how poorly the team has been doing for the last 5+ years. Some fans go to the games because they went or are going to the school.

Meanwhile, one of those guys that doesn't care called me up a couple of weeks ago from his home in Salt Lake City, UT and said, "Man, I saw the score of the Army game...you guys played them close."

Calmly,

GMG

I will sleep fine tonight either way. Take a pill, if you must, but go distract yourself.

And by the way, the same people who are on this board now (you and I, included) were the only ones that cared before Todd came along, or Dickey, or their two friends and so on.

Unless you count the other 11,000-26,000, depending on which of the six games played at home this year, that cared enough to show up to at least one game. I talk to fans at every game that know nothing about this board, or about the inside politics of North Texas athletics, or about how poorly the team has been doing for the last 5+ years. Some fans go to the games because they went or are going to the school.

Meanwhile, one of those guys that doesn't care called me up a couple of weeks ago from his home in Salt Lake City, UT and said, "Man, I saw the score of the Army game...you guys played them close."

Calmly,

GMG

We'll do fine. All of us.

Kissingly,

GMG

Fact - we have an AD who says he’s still evaluating the program . . . . . . . in Dec.

Fact - we have a head coach who has said publicly that he’s not sure of his future.

Fact - if we make a change we can’t formally pull the trigger until Jan. 2nd at the earliest and signing day is Feb 3rd

If you think this is good for recruiting . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Fact - we have an AD who says he’s still evaluating the program . . . . . . . in Dec.

Fact - we have a head coach who has said publicly that he’s not sure of his future.

Fact - if we make a change we can’t formally pull the trigger until Jan. 2nd at the earliest and signing day is Feb 3rd

Also, there is a time (dead period?) when coaches cannot contact recruits, which may or may not mitigate the impact of this nondecision. Does anyone know when said "dead period" is?

Calmly,

GMG

I doubt your friend from Utah realizes we have seen exactly 5 wins at home, the past 5 years. But then again, he probably does and knew he had to throw you a sympathy bone. Probably laughed his ass off when he hung up.

As for your calm and ability to sleep so well at night, I wished losing and the fact our university's football program being the laughing stock meant so little to me. I really do. I wished I could consider every season complete when we play the weakest programs in the country close. I wouldn't get any more sleep. But at least I could sluff off the jokes and laughter at work a little easier and feel more at ease at talking more folks into coming to the games.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Is there such a thing as "informed" speculation? But your right, the only ones who are the losers are the fanbase, meaning, you and I. Because we are the only ones who actually care right now about this program due to the fact that it is so extremely irrelevant to the rest of the college football world who could care so little, and why should they? Especially considering the other two programs down the street are currently making history right now while our program on the other hand continues to dig it's own grave for obvious reasons.

Rick

I feel we stand to lose much more if we go the rout of trying to keep Dodge and replace a few of his coaches. I cant think of three respectable assistant coaches that will jump on our sinking ship, knowing that if this team posts another bad season, they will be gone, with the rest of the staff, and get to put the experience on their resume. I just dont feel the kind of assistant coaches we would want are going to want to join a staff that would have such a high probability of unemployment after next season.

Edited by Side Show Joe

So Rick, you are saying that if you cared less than you do, you could bring invite more folks to come to the game? Try it...we need the fans, and you probably could use some blood pressure meds, my friend.

I am more worried about whether the way I perform my job will make me the laughing stock of the unemployment line than what others think about my football program.

The point about the pal from Utah is that MOST people in the world could give a rats a-- over ANY team in college football other than their own. The fact that he looks at our scores, and doesn't associate our 30th loss in the last three years with anything other than "man, they almost won that thing," shows the myopic view and perhaps disproportionate-to-what-really-matters focus some of us (including me at times) place on our team. Clearly I understand that it is FUNNER to be a passionate fan than the guy who has to wonder what he is going to do with his Fall Saturdays....I am one of you, with all due respect to the greatness of your fandom.

Maybe I am an uncompetitive, dispassionate lout, but I can tell you I have never once "laughed my ass off" when I hung up from speaking with friends who are fans of Cleveland or Oakland, or any of the occasionally horrible college programs that grace the competitive landscape. I wasn't laughing my ass off at my SMU friends for the last 25 years, or my Rice friends for most of the last 5 decades or so (I am fully aware of the good seasons these teams have had, as well as the bad).

Yes I care greatly for my team, but I REALLY care about putting food on the table for my family, providing my kids decent schools to attend and keeping my marriage happy (and don't let me forget God and country...sound the patriotic music here).

Caringly,

GMG

I doubt your friend from Utah realizes we have seen exactly 5 wins at home, the past 5 years. But then again, he probably does and knew he had to throw you a sympathy bone. Probably laughed his ass off when he hung up.

As for your calm and ability to sleep so well at night, I wished losing and the fact our university's football program being the laughing stock meant so little to me. I really do. I wished I could consider every season complete when we play the weakest programs in the country close. I wouldn't get any more sleep. But at least I could sluff off the jokes and laughter at work a little easier and feel more at ease at talking more folks into coming to the games.

Rick

5 WINS AT HOME IN DENTON, IN THE PAST FIVE YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats really bad...I never knew that.....its unfortunate WKU is two of them...

One of Johnny Jones assistants has kind of a cool looking comb over; check it out at the next basketball game you go to. On a positive note, at age 62, I still have all my hair, and hardly any of it gray, which I attribute to not having had kids.

That's funny, at age 32, I have quite a bit of gray, and I attribute it all to following North Texas football.

So Rick, you are saying that if you cared less than you do, you could bring invite more folks to come to the game? Try it...we need the fans, and you probably could use some blood pressure meds, my friend.

I am more worried about whether the way I perform my job will make me the laughing stock of the unemployment line than what others think about my football program.

The point about the pal from Utah is that MOST people in the world could give a rats a-- over ANY team in college football other than their own. The fact that he looks at our scores, and doesn't associate our 30th loss in the last three years with anything other than "man, they almost won that thing," shows the myopic view and perhaps disproportionate-to-what-really-matters focus some of us (including me at times) place on our team. Clearly I understand that it is FUNNER to be a passionate fan than the guy who has to wonder what he is going to do with his Fall Saturdays....I am one of you, with all due respect to the greatness of your fandom.

Maybe I am an uncompetitive, dispassionate lout, but I can tell you I have never once "laughed my ass off" when I hung up from speaking with friends who are fans of Cleveland or Oakland, or any of the occasionally horrible college programs that grace the competitive landscape. I wasn't laughing my ass off at my SMU friends for the last 25 years, or my Rice friends for most of the last 5 decades or so (I am fully aware of the good seasons these teams have had, as well as the bad).

Yes I care greatly for my team, but I REALLY care about putting food on the table for my family, providing my kids decent schools to attend and keeping my marriage happy (and don't let me forget God and country...sound the patriotic music here).

Caringly,

GMG

I think what you're missing is the fact that GMG.com is a Mean Green message board. Of coarse what you're saying about real world responsibilities being of greater importance than a football team is true.... buts that's irrelevant on GMG.com.

I am not going to argue this at all, because I really don't know the answer other than what many of you post on here, but are you saying that if Mack Brown announced today that he is no longer the UT coach, that they couldn't hire a new coach until Jan. 2? I don't believe for one second that UT would allow that.

Caringly,

GMG

So why the life lessons speech on a football message board????

5 WINS AT HOME IN DENTON, IN THE PAST FIVE YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats really bad...I never knew that.....its unfortunate WKU is two of them...

Vito really needs to find a way to work this into his stories.