Vito Report

Green Dozer

First of all, I don't think you are including me in the elite group of "haters" that always show up and complain about everything.

Having said that however, I would like your brilliant insight about how our administration, starting with J.C. Matthews, has made great decisons about our athletic department that seem to escape the rest of us who have been watching North Texas football since at least the mid-60's.

I'll start, and you can fill in the rest. Since Odus Mitchell retired, the only GREAT decision that our administration has made about athletics was the hiring of Hayden Fry. And the person that made that decision (C.C "jitter" Nolan) was run off shortly after Fry left. After Fry left, the "old nesters" took back over, and the return to the old days quickly took over. The only GOOD decision that has been made since then was the hiring of Corky Nelson....after he applyed for the second time.

After that, it's been one brain fart after another by the administration at North Texas regarding athletics.....specifically football.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I would like to know who these "old nesters" that are often referred to, are. They have apparently been anonymously running NT and Denton for decades.

First of all, I don't think you are including me in the elite group of "haters" that always show up and complain about everything.

Having said that however, I would like your brilliant insight about how our administration, starting with J.C. Matthews, has made great decisons about our athletic department that seem to escape the rest of us who have been watching North Texas football since at least the mid-60's.

I'll start, and you can fill in the rest. Since Odus Mitchell retired, the only GREAT decision that our administration has made about athletics was the hiring of Hayden Fry. And the person that made that decision (C.C "jitter" Nolan) was run off shortly after Fry left. After Fry left, the "old nesters" took back over, and the return to the old days quickly took over. The only GOOD decision that has been made since then was the hiring of Corky Nelson....after he applyed for the second time.

After that, it's been one brain fart after another by the administration at North Texas regarding athletics.....specifically football.

Just responding to the part where you talked about "athletics", before you mentioned "specifically football", what about the hiring of Bill Blakeley? I used to love watching him coach North Texas basketball. Of course, the quote he had about being let go by Al Hurley, in so many words, "Hurley was ex-military, and I didn't salute", says a lot about Hurley's regime.

Wha?!? Attendance was UP for a home game vs. Army as opposed to Arkie State?!? You're KIDDING ME!!! Well hell, we MUST be on the right track!!!

Using this post as the torchbearer for "logic and reason" = priceless.

How was it compared to a Navy game at the same time of day, in the same part of the same month, two years ago?

I HAVE HAD SEASON TICKETS FOR A FEW YEARS NOW, AND IN NO WAY WAS THE ATTENDANCE DOWN THIS YEAR. WE HAD 23,000 FOR THE

ARMY GAME VS THE ARK STATE GAME LAST YEAR WHICH WAS ABOUT 11,000. ALSO, I WILL FOREVER BE A MEAN GREEN FAN, ALUMNI AND TORCHBEARER

NO MATTER WHAT. I CAN TRUELY SEE IMPROVEMENT THIS YEAR OVER LAST. CLOSER GAMES, LESS BLOWOUTS, AND YES, MORE HEARTBREAK,BUT AT LEAST

WE ARE IN A NUMBER OF GAMES TO THE END. JUST LOOK OHIO BEAT US BY ONE IN 2 O.T.'S. THEY HAVE A 9-3 RECORD. SO, I ONLY HOPE WE GIVE DODGE

ONE MORE YEAR TO SEE IF IT IS REALLY TURNING AROUND. I HOPE SO, IN ORDER FOR THE CONTINUOUS NEGATIVE FANS ON THIS BOARD SHUT UP!!!!!!!

I REMEMBER WHEN THE YEAR STARTED ALL WE HEARD FROM POSTERS WAS "I WILL BE HAPPY IF WE ARE IN MOST GAMES AND THEY ARE CLOSE". EVIDENTLY

THEY HAVEN'T NOTICED WE LOST SEVEN (7) GAMES BY SEVEN (7) OR FEWER POINTS. WHAT WAS IT LAST YEAR ABOUT 20 POINTS PER GAME. JUST CHECK.

ANYWAY, I WILL FOREVER BLEED GREEN. STAY THE COARSE.

stop yelling! and attendance was way down for the two games before army just so you remember it correctly.

You can't really count a Halloween game, parents have to take their kids trick or treating and students are getting set for the evening's parties.

Sure you can. In Auburn, Alabama Halloween was celebrated on Friday night. And was it not Halloween in such places as Boise, Starkville, Ms., Gainesville, Fla. College Park, Pa. Stillwater, Baton Rouge, etc. I mean have student organizations set up something for kids in costumes, students wear their costumes to games that are on TV. Only in Denton Texas is something like this used as an excuse for attendance.

Sure you can. In Auburn, Alabama Halloween was celebrated on Friday night. And was it not Halloween in such places as Boise, Starkville, Ms., Gainesville, Fla. College Park, Pa. Stillwater, Baton Rouge, etc. I mean have student organizations set up something for kids in costumes, students wear their costumes to games that are on TV. Only in Denton Texas is something like this used as an excuse for attendance.

Sure didn't stop the 62,501 that turned out in Fayetteville for the Hogs game.

So you guys can honestly say that we have the same following as those BCS-level programs? Before you say Boise isn't in a BCS conference, they beat OU in a BCS bowl game just a few years ago and will probably be in one again this year which is why I said BCS-level.

Edited by Cr1028

So you guys can honestly say that we have the same following as those BCS-level programs? Before you say Boise isn't in a BCS conference, they beat OU in a BCS bowl game just a few years ago and will probably be in one again this year which is why I said BCS-level.

and boise is the only game in town.

You are reading and overthinking all of this. I think my point, and 99's point is that other fan bases show up and support their teams. Of course , winning helps. I think a school that most mirrors ours is the University of Houston. They had over 20,000 in attendance at their Halloween game against Southern Miss. Of course, they are having a great season. The point is you cannot blame "Halloween", but rather our scary, losing play for attendance.

You are reading and overthinking all of this. I think my point, and 99's point is that other fan bases show up and support their teams. Of course , winning helps. I think a school that most mirrors ours is the University of Houston. They had over 20,000 in attendance at their Halloween game against Southern Miss. Of course, they are having a great season. The point is you cannot blame "Halloween", but rather our scary, losing play for attendance.

Was that 20k above or below average for the rest of the season?

There is a small group of posters on this board who hate TD, Riley and RV, just as they hated many of our previous coaches, athletic directors and administrators. They claim to support "North Texas," just none of the people who have worked there for the past 50 years. Everyone from JC Matthews through Lee Jackson and Dr B seems to be part of a giant conspiracy against "North Texas" that the haters support.

Hogwash. This is empty cheerleading. You've got spirit, yes you do.

He also pointed out that many people see improvement from past years. According to the Morning News, that group includes RV. I note that RV points out that "You look at the number of close losses, even today, where we fought back. There are a lot of good changes in this team.

The fact that RV claims to see improvement is not a surprise. He gambled his credibility on hiring a high school coach. It hasn't worked.

It is completely absurd to use "close losses" as an excuse in a 2-10 season. Close my ass. Teams lose 10 games for a reason -- they're bad teams.

Hogwash. This is empty cheerleading. You've got spirit, yes you do.

The fact that RV claims to see improvement is not a surprise. He gambled his credibility on hiring a high school coach. It hasn't worked.

It is completely absurd to use "close losses" as an excuse in a 2-10 season. Close my ass. Teams lose 10 games for a reason -- they're bad teams.

I am so tired of hearing this team was "25 points" away from a winning season, or "one play away from winning". JubJub talked about that this morning. You are right - teams don't lose 10 games in one season because they were close. I might buy that argument for one or two games, but not for 8 games.

I am so tired of hearing this team was "25 points" away from a winning season, or "one play away from winning". JubJub talked about that this morning. You are right - teams don't lose 10 games in one season because they were close. I might buy that argument for one or two games, but not for 8 games.

Losing teams always seem to lose this way. Finding a way to lose is a staple of a losing team.

• Upvote 1