Dodge Pulls Darrell Dickey

meangreenbob

What a mess! Send him packing!!

Get over yourself! He didn't screw anyone. He was fighting for his life in what may be his last game as head coach. If he would've put in Carey or Hamiltion to just take the snap and fall on the ball, you would be complaining about how he just gave up. He fought to the end. Thompson was the only quarterback in Jonesboro that was not injured who has learned the Mean Green's plays for that particular position. I would have done the same thing.

Get over yourself! He didn't screw anyone. He was fighting for his life in what may be his last game as head coach. If he would've put in Carey or Hamiltion to just take the snap and fall on the ball, you would be complaining about how he just gave up. He fought to the end. Thompson was the only quarterback in Jonesboro that was not injured who has learned the Mean Green's plays for that particular position. I would have done the same thing.

THE GAME AND SEASON WAS ALREADY OVER!!

Disagree, you just run the wildcat for less than 2 minutes. Thompson's redshirt should not have been burned in this game.

i agree with you dude...not a big deal...he was trying to win the game

If Dodge was trying to win the game he would have never ever played Riley at QB today or all season for that matter. Dodge playing Riley at QB this year was putting family over the team, the University and the fans!!!

That's why Vizza left!!

It was nice that the Todd Dodge postgame show was sponsored by Adams Exterminators.....

Since the topic is Dodge pulls a Darrell Dickey, I am going to add my 2 cents worth. Dodge DID NOT pull a Darrell Dickey. Dickey allowed the players to wear black jerseys because a group of Seniors went to him and asked if they could wear all black for the last game. Dodge BURNED a freshman's redshirt to save himself. There's a big difference in your motives being for yourself and for your players. To radiogreen and Cr1028 it is a BIG DEAL to have your redshirt burned when you are a college athlete.

Dodge is all about himself. What true D1 football coach would go to a game without his 3rd string quarterback and bring the freshman quarterback? Please, some of you diehard Dodge supporters explain that one.

I don't see any comparison between Dodge action and the black jerseys. DD's action was a not so veiled fu to NT and the fans. Dodge just made another dumb game time decision. I can't believe that there is anybody defending putting Thompson in the game. Even if Dodge was guaranteed a victory with putting Thompson in, it was not worth it. I also wonder why with Riley's injuries, Dodge would not have another QB on the travel squad or at least a back up plan that didn't result in losing a year of eligibility for a promising player.

Since the topic is Dodge pulls a Darrell Dickey, I am going to add my 2 cents worth. Dodge DID NOT pull a Darrell Dickey. Dickey allowed the players to wear black jerseys because a group of Seniors went to him and asked if they could wear all black for the last game. Dodge BURNED a freshman's redshirt to save himself. There's a big difference in your motives being for yourself and for your players. To radiogreen and Cr1028 it is a BIG DEAL to have your redshirt burned when you are a college athlete.

Dodge is all about himself. What true D1 football coach would go to a game without his 3rd string quarterback and bring the freshman quarterback? Please, some of you diehard Dodge supporters explain that one.

if it's such a big deal to have a redshirt burned, wouldn't it also be a big deal if you didn't get a redshirt season? so dunbar must be really pissed that he played his freshman year along with all other true freshman that play. hell, what about tobe??? should would have been nice if dodge would have granted him a redshirt year during one of his three years here. i bet he would love to play next year and make up for his season ending injury

Thompson IS the 3rd string quarterback. How often do you have 2 qbs go out with a serious injury in the same game? The odds of this happening were incredibly slim. Dodge is not the piece of crap you wish him to be. I'm sure Thompson knew full well what he was doing and went in anyway and played one hell of a series.

Since the topic is Dodge pulls a Darrell Dickey, I am going to add my 2 cents worth. Dodge DID NOT pull a Darrell Dickey. Dickey allowed the players to wear black jerseys because a group of Seniors went to him and asked if they could wear all black for the last game.

That story about the seniors wanting to wear the black jerseys for the final game was total BS, according to parents of players on that team. It was Dickey's idea, and he blamed it on the players.

if it's such a big deal to have a redshirt burned, wouldn't it also be a big deal if you didn't get a redshirt season? so dunbar must be really pissed that he played his freshman year along with all other true freshman that play.

I'm beginning to see why you'd defend such a stupid decision. There's no comparison between playing a freshman an entire season and throwing him in at the end for a couple of snaps while he's redshirted.

I'm beginning to see why you'd defend such a stupid decision. There's no comparison between playing a freshman an entire season and throwing him in at the end for a couple of snaps while he's redshirted.

yes, there is....the kids still don't get an extra year for football. sure, one guy played more than the other, but in the end they both only get 4 years to play instead of 5....and that's assuming thompson doesn't redshirt next year.

yes, there is....the kids still don't get an extra year for football. sure, one guy played more than the other, but in the end they both only get 4 years to play instead of 5....and that's assuming thompson doesn't redshirt next year.

Thompson was already shirted, burning his shirt at the last game of the year is nit that big a deal, IMO. The kid will have four years of eligibility remaining. He will NOT be eligible for another redshirt year. If you burn it in game 3 or game 12, that is still your redshirt year. No sweat. I'll be glad to see Dodge get the boot and will complain about his other decisions, Thompson playng today is a non issue.

Thompson was already shirted, burning his shirt at the last game of the year is nit that big a deal, IMO. The kid will have four years of eligibility remaining. He will NOT be eligible for another redshirt year. If you burn it in game 3 or game 12, that is still your redshirt year. No sweat. I'll be glad to see Dodge get the boot and will complain about his other decisions, Thompson playng today is a non issue.

He has four years to play three. I think you're a little confused... If you burn a redshirt, it's NOT a redshirt year. Now, instead of having four years to play four, he has four years to play three.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm not following that reasoning. Thompson gets 5 years to play 4. If he's redshirted next year he still has 3 years after that to complete his eligibility. But, he just used one year's eligibility up by playing in one series.

He has four years to play three. I think you're a little confused... If you burn a redshirt, it's NOT a redshirt year. Now, instead of having four years to play four, he has four years to play three.

Duh, you're right. He wasted a whole year of elgibility in one game. Too many margaritas tonight!!

Look- not suprisingly, the same people are going to defend Dodge that have been, and vice versa - no matter what.

For some people, the team wearing black jerseys in a meaningless game was the end of the world. For others, inexplicably burning a kid's redshirt in the final two minutes is much worse and impacts the school and its kids it a worse manner. Matter of opinion, I guess.

But be it malice, stupidity, or other - I don't see how putting in Thompson can be supported. Some people have claimed "Dodge was fighting for his job!"... well... what if he WASN'T?

Tasty was exactly right... BOTH issues.. Jerseygate and The Burning of the Redshirt are completely at the feet of the administration.. the blood is on THEIR hands. A poorly timed midseason firing of DD and a potential hush-hush late season firing of a coach KNOWN to be an in-game idiot is THEIR fault. DeLoach should have been HC today, housecleaning begins tomorrow.