Bcs Rejects Mwc Playoff Proposal

UNTflyer

A two-tiered post season would starve the lower tier bowls. UNT took a loss the last time they went bowling, a two-tier bowl system would mean less sponsor money and more losses for the smaller bowls. Teams don't go from no bowl to the top 8 over night. It takes small bowls to build better teams. A two-tier post season kills the small bowls.

chicken s's...

Utah, my national champ.

Florida, chicken s national champ...

I agree. As far as I'm concerned Utah is a National Champion for last season, but I still acknowledge Florida as a National Champion too, Just not the undisputed National Champion. It should have been decided on the field. The Utah-Alabama game proved that.

The BCS is good for UNT and the SBC. The BCS preserves the bowl system, which gives us the the New Orleans Bowl. A two tiered post-season would crush the second tier "other" bowls.

I totally disagree. The BCS keeps the big time college teams big time, by making sure they are the only ones who get a chance to play for the national championship. They've created a system that places impossible barriers between mid-major teams and the championship. Utah proved this last year. That fact that mid-majors are excluded from the championship game, all but eliminates the mid-majors from being able to hire and keep quality coaches, and recruit the top talent in the country. A five star recruit won't sign with a program that doesn't have top quality coaches. And a Five star recruit certainly won't sign with a program that has no opportunity of putting a National Championship Ring on his finger.

I totally disagree. The BCS keeps the big time college teams big time, by making sure they are the only ones who get a chance to play for the national championship. They've created a system that places impossible barriers between mid-major teams and the championship. Utah proved this last year. That fact that mid-majors are excluded from the championship game, all but eliminates the mid-majors from being able to hire and keep quality coaches, and recruit the top talent in the country. A five star recruit won't sign with a program that doesn't have top quality coaches. And a Five star recruit certainly won't sign with a program that has no opportunity of putting a National Championship Ring on his finger.

Would this be a scarecrow?

He said the BCS helps preserve bowl games, he did not say anything about the budget barriers and national title chances.

Our reality is that if a playoff materializes, chances are the NO Bowl would be the first one to disappear.

but I still acknowledge Florida as a National Champion too,

I'm sure Urban Meyer is worried about your recognition of the national championship.

The BCS does exactly what it was designed to do; match #1 vs. #2 and preserve the bowl system.

Would this be a scarecrow?

He said the BCS helps preserve bowl games, he did not say anything about the budget barriers and national title chances.

Our reality is that if a playoff materializes, chances are the NO Bowl would be the first one to disappear.

Miner,

I apologize if my thoughts read like babbling. It is a bad habit of mine. I rambled on about my issues with the bcs, and did not antiquity address how it would impact UNT or the Belt. Here is my second attempt.

If the New Orleans Bowl is our ultimate goal as a program, then I would agree with the post. But as a fan I want our team to compete for more then a low level bowl. The bcs does help preserve the the lesser bowl games, and that is a benefit to the Sun Belt as a conference, but in the long run I feel it is a liability. Yes if the bcs was replaced with a playoff system, the New Orleans Bowl would be the bowl I'd bet would be dropped first.

I'm willing to make that trade off, for the ability to sell coaches, recruits, and even our fan base on the opportunity to play for a chance to earn the National Championship. Some might laugh at the idea, but I wonder what Hayden Fry would think? If we had a playoff system in place in the late 70's, he may have never left, and our history of football here at North Texas may have been very different.

In the long run, I feel this would be better for North Texas, even if it is not the best thing for the Sun Belt.

I'm sure Urban Meyer is worried about your recognition of the national championship.

The BCS does exactly what it was designed to do; match #1 vs. #2 and preserve the bowl system.

The bcs matches their #1 vs. #2. In my opinion, Utah's win vs. Alabama was more impressive then Florida's, so I think the ranking are debatable, at least for last season.

The bcs matches their #1 vs. #2. In my opinion, Utah's win vs. Alabama was more impressive then Florida's, so I think the ranking are debatable, at least for last season.

Agree. The Bowls are basically meaningless. It's a way to celebrate also-rans in the polls. The BC$ is a means to their own conceived end. The only way to determine a true champ is on the field with a playoff like every other level of football uses to determine it's champ. Anything else is just a gimmick to make $$$.

1)ACC 2)Big XII 3)Big East 4)Big 10 5) Conference USA 6) MAC 7) Mountain West 8) Pac-10 9) SEC 10) WAC

I'm guessing the Sun Belt doesn't even merit mention in this conversation?

Nah. I'm sure it's just that Wright gets flex Fridays and was off when they had the discussion.