Keep In Mind, The Obama Children Were Off Limits.

Letterman use to be a pretty decend comic that I enjoyed watching on occassion. Now he's nothing more than a sleazy, trash mouth, late night night clown. Sad that he can't come up with original material and must resort to the typical "anything goes", leftest trash talk. Disgusting. CBS should do the right thing and cancel the David Letterman Show.

Desparate for ratings perhaps? Who knows, but the "Top 10" list referencing Palin was "way over the top". I guess personal attacks on Republican presidential and vice presidential candidates atre OK, but not so OK to stage personal attacks on democratic presidential and vp candidates families/children.

Hmmmmmmmmmm..interesting how the game is played. You know, all those heartless and rich Republicans who "trash real everyday people" all the time and have no "feelings"....

Sad...the election is over...why can't these folks realize that? You won...get over it! :lol:

Letterman has become pretty "pointed" in his comedy the last few years, and the comments about Palin's daughter, who I thought was older than 14, are lacking class, but Letterman was pretty rough on the Hillary and Bill during Clinton's 8 years in office. I'm not defending his comments, but let's not have selective memories.

Lifter -

Being harsh on Hillary and Bill are different than being rough on Chelsea.

Going after the kids is just downright mean.

Lots of stuff about how dumb Barbara and Jenna were and now this about Bristol Palin (who is 18, BTW...). NOBODY has said something so disgusting about any politician's kid in my memory.

It's a double standard. Make fun of Barak, George, Bill or Sarah all you want, but leave their kids out of it.

Lifter -

Being harsh on Hillary and Bill are different than being rough on Chelsea.

Going after the kids is just downright mean.

Lots of stuff about how dumb Barbara and Jenna were and now this about Bristol Palin (who is 18, BTW...). NOBODY has said something so disgusting about any politician's kid in my memory.

It's a double standard. Make fun of Barak, George, Bill or Sarah all you want, but leave their kids out of it.

I agree that the children should be off limits and lack class as I stated in my original post:

comments about Palin's daughter, who I thought was older than 14, are lacking class

I also noted that Letterman's comedy has become more "pointed" by which I mean he seems bitter much of the time and his comedy reflects that. What I'm trying to say is that I agree with your post above 100%, and SUMG's that followed. I didn't realize that Willow was the daughter with her, and while I really think the joke was a shot at Spitzer, it came off bad and open to interpretation.

But they have to do jokes about Palin's daughters. They have to do jokes about George W Bush being stupid (their opinion, not mine).

Because they absolutely refuse to do any jokes about Obama.

This is the first President ever, that I can remember being off limits to late night comedy. Oh, they may joke about someone in his administration.....Geithner, Biden......but they leave The One alone.

I guess jokes about a black President.....would be racist.

But they have to do jokes about Palin's daughters. They have to do jokes about George W Bush being stupid (their opinion, not mine).

This is the first President ever, that I can remember being off limits to late night comedy. Oh, they may joke about someone in his administration.....Geithner, Biden......but they leave The One alone.

Fred Armison disagrees...

Yes, that has been notably ommitted from the monologues. Heck, late night talk shows were built on poking fun at the day's politicians.

Fred Armison? Yeah, his portrayal of Obama is of a "cool" president. Not really poking fun.

...Imus was run out of town on a rail for far less.

Nappy Headed Ho < A-Rod Raping a 14 year old

D O U B L E S T A N D A R D!!!

I missed the rape reference, can you point it out for me? Also, Imus' comments were incomparable to any of this. That they are being compared at all is further evidence of how far the right is now going to point out how mistreated and put upon they are. Let me ask this question, if the media is sooooo far slanted to the left and sooooo bent on picking on the poor old right wing (keeping in mind that they are in the business of making money and catering to their viewership/readership) then what does that say about the will of America proper? Hmmmm, could it be that the cries of abuse are coming from a vocal minority? Or, could it be that the media you are all so bent on whining about caters to a crowd with similar views and it is counter-intuitive to cry because a talk show host with left-wing leanings cracking jokes to a left-wing leaning audience?

I missed the rape reference, can you point it out for me? Also, Imus' comments were incomparable to any of this. That they are being compared at all is further evidence of how far the right is now going to point out how mistreated and put upon they are. Let me ask this question, if the media is sooooo far slanted to the left and sooooo bent on picking on the poor old right wing (keeping in mind that they are in the business of making money and catering to their viewership/readership) then what does that say about the will of America proper? Hmmmm, could it be that the cries of abuse are coming from a vocal minority? Or, could it be that the media you are all so bent on whining about caters to a crowd with similar views and it is counter-intuitive to cry because a talk show host with left-wing leanings cracking jokes to a left-wing leaning audience?

Dude. A 30 something year old having sex with a 14 year old is "rape". You know that.

It means most of America doesn't pay that much attention, which is a good thing.

I think it's funny that Palin basically called him a pedophile. He does have that look. :D

The media IS left wing. I can site you study after study that shows that 80+ percent of journalists are registered democrat, how similar stories are treated differently based on the letter behind the name of the politician, that it isn't even worth the effort. Whole books have been written on the subject.

...and if the cries are coming from the vocal minority, how come the most liberal media outlets like MSNBC, the New York Times and Air America have terrible ratings, are losing market share and/or have shut down while Conservative Talk Radio and Fox News contiune to set new viewer records year after year?

I'd like to know how Imus' comments are incomparable?

Each comment was made by a media icon, one on radio, one on TV.

Each comment was wholly over the top and showed the true colors of the person in question.

One was a sexual reference to rape against a child, the other was a racist comment about a group of adults, both of which are socially unacceptable.

...the only thing incomparable about the comments is that every race organization in the country rallied behind the Rutgers Ladies' basketball team, while not a single women's group or child's advocacy group has jumped to the defense of Willow. It IS, buy the very definition of the term, a DOUBLE STANDARD. Please, show me exactly how the two are incomparable.

The media IS left wing. I can site you study after study that shows that 80+ percent of journalists are registered democrat, how similar stories are treated differently based on the letter behind the name of the politician, that it isn't even worth the effort. Whole books have been written on the subject.

...and if the cries are coming from the vocal minority, how come the most liberal media outlets like MSNBC, the New York Times and Air America have terrible ratings, are losing market share and/or have shut down while Conservative Talk Radio and Fox News contiune to set new viewer records year after year?

I'd like to know how Imus' comments are incomparable?

Each comment was made by a media icon, one on radio, one on TV.

Each comment was wholly over the top and showed the true colors of the person in question.

One was a sexual reference to rape against a child, the other was a racist comment about a group of adults, both of which are socially unacceptable.

...the only thing incomparable about the comments is that every race organization in the country rallied behind the Rutgers Ladies' basketball team, while not a single women's group or child's advocacy group has jumped to the defense of Willow. It IS, buy the very definition of the term, a DOUBLE STANDARD. Please, show me exactly how the two are incomparable.

Ok, I tried really really hard...even turned up the volume as loud as it would go...and I still missed the word "rape" being mentioned in the Letterman clip. In fact, I never even heard him mention which Palin daughter he was referring to. The word "Willow" was never uttered in that clip or the one where he talks about Eliot Spitzer. So, if he was referring to Bristol then we are not talking about "rape" of any sort, be it statutory or otherwise. And wouldn't it make more sense for a joke about being "knocked up" to refer to the daughter who was, in fact, knocked up recently? Hell, don't take my word for it...take Letterman's.

http://watching-tv.ew.com/2009/06/david-le...t-show-not.html

What I think occurred here is that many of you only listened to the clips with your right ear and heard the most damaging thing possible.

So I'll say it again...incomparable to Imus. Racist speech vs. crossing the line and talking about someone's children (still wrong but nowhere near on the same level) are not apples to apples in comparison.

And let's keep something else in mind. Obama is not a speech writer for David Letterman. He made it quite clear during his campaign that families are off limits and I have yet to hear him personally renege on that. That the media, which is somehow both wholly left-wing and yet

are losing market share and/or have shut down
in a business designed to make money (?????), is none of his concern. Hell, if the President truly had to power to make the media say what he wanted don't you think Bush would have done the same? Oh wait, Bush couldn't even figure out what it was that he wanted to say half the time. (****For the reading impaired...I said Bush had a problem not sounding like and idiot, not that he was personally responsible for the ills of the country, hold your diatribes****) Edited by emmitt01

Ok, I tried really really hard...even turned up the volume as loud as it would go...and I still missed the word "rape" being mentioned in the Letterman clip. In fact, I never even heard him mention which Palin daughter he was referring to. The word "Willow" was never uttered in that clip or the one where he talks about Eliot Spitzer. So, if he was referring to Bristol then we are not talking about "rape" of any sort, be it statutory or otherwise. And wouldn't it make more sense for a joke about being "knocked up" to refer to the daughter who was, in fact, knocked up recently? Hell, don't take my word for it...take Letterman's.

http://watching-tv.ew.com/2009/06/david-le...t-show-not.html

What I think occurred here is that many of you only listened to the clips with your right ear and heard the most damaging thing possible.

So I'll say it again...incomparable to Imus. Racist speech vs. crossing the line and talking about someone's children (still wrong but nowhere near on the same level) are not apples to apples in comparison.

And let's keep something else in mind. Obama is not a speech writer for David Letterman. He made it quite clear during his campaign that families are off limits and I have yet to hear him personally renege on that. That the media, which is somehow both wholly left-wing and yet in a business designed to make money (?????), is none of his concern. Hell, if the President truly had to power to make the media say what he wanted don't you think Bush would have done the same? Oh wait, Bush couldn't even figure out what it was that he wanted to say half the time. (****For the reading impaired...I said Bush had a problem not sounding like and idiot, not that he was personally responsible for the ills of the country, hold your diatribes****)

You DO know that the only Palin daughter at the game was 14 year old Willow, right? So it had to be her that the joke was about, and the inference that all Palin's daughters are easy. That was the wink, wink, nudge, nudge liberal to liberal joke that Pedo Dave was really making.

So stupid, as was all the trash about Chelsey and the Bush daughters. But Pedo Dave stopped being funny about a decade ago, so I guess he's gotta go low brow.

A mid 30's man having sex with a 14 year old should be rape in anyone's book. It is in The State of Texas's book. No such thing as "satuatory".

Edited by UNT90

You DO know that the only Palin daughter at the game was 14 year old Willow, right? So it had to be her that the joke was about, and the inference that all Palin's daughters are easy. That was the wink, wink, nudge, nudge liberal to liberal joke that Pedo Dave was really making.

So stupid, as was all the trash about Chelsey and the Bush daughters. But Pedo Dave stopped being funny about a decade ago, so I guess he's gotta go low brow.

A mid 30's man having sex with a 14 year old should be rape in anyone's book. It is in The State of Texas's book. No such thing as "satuatory".

To Palin's accusations that he was making a joke about "raping" one of her daughters, let's go to the text: Letterman's self-admittedly "ugly" joke was that 18-year-old Bristol was "knocked up" by baseball's Alex Rodriguez. That phrase doesn't carry the implication of forced sex.

Letterman's explanation of the joke, not mine.

Letterman's explanation of the joke, not mine.

And you really believe his staff and CBS didnt know exactly who was at the game? PU LA EEESE. He knew exactly who he was making the joke about. Surely you are not that naive.

The kids should be off limits.

You know, the joke was pretty lame....and boorish.

But I find it interesting that so many of you 50+ posters who are using the images of young ladies who have to be 30 years younger than yourself (or in some cases, the same age as your daughters) as your avitar. Not to mention the countless number of times the same group has posted photos of chesty women so that the rest of you lecherous old men can do your version of the Tex-Avery-eye-bugging-out scene (you know, the

Tom and Jerry cartoons), and then somehow find a way to get indignant about Dave Letterman's lame and borish joke.

You can't worry about the virtue of Sarah Palin's daughters whilst at the same time posting, glamor-shot avitars of young women who are only a few years older than her daughters. It looks hypocritical.

Rick,

I assume you were equally outraged when Rush Scumbaugh held up a picture of Chelsea Clinton on his now defunct television show and said, "Who says there is not a dog in the White House."

Yes, I suppose I missed it when Rush held up a picture of Chelsea on my radio? :stupid:

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

You know, the joke was pretty lame....and boorish.

But I find it interesting that so many of you 50+ posters who are using the images of young ladies who have to be 30 years younger than yourself (or in some cases, the same age as your daughters) as your avitar. Not to mention the countless number of times the same group has posted photos of chesty women so that the rest of you lecherous old men can do your version of the Tex-Avery-eye-bugging-out scene (you know, the

Tom and Jerry cartoons), and then somehow find a way to get indignant about Dave Letterman's lame and borish joke.

You can't worry about the virtue of Sarah Palin's daughters whilst at the same time posting, glamor-shot avitars of young women who are only a few years older than her daughters. It looks hypocritical.

Let me make sure I understand here? Your comparing adults(OF AGE) who are in the business to look sexy, attractive and in some situation's young, who's intention it is to be in the public eye because they are modeling themselves towards that industry, with that of classless jokes being made on mainstream television about a man raping a child?

How you can compare the two together, now that's interesting.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick