New Qb Recruit...redshirt?

Got5onIt

Riley's "nepotistic" rise to the starting Qb role and the loss of Pepperoni Vizza, has me wondering how Teflon Todd will handle the new recruit? If J-Hall does indeed stand behind his commitment, he would have to ride the pine for at least 4 seasons as Riley plays out his eligibility (of course, assuming Teflon isn't fired within the next 4 years). Redshirting the new guy would give him a shot at possibly starting for two years. How much time does Tune have left? What about Baine? Is Baine a viable option at backup?

Begin the speculation!

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Edited by Got5onIt

Right. So, move him to one of the positions that nearly every other college coach would move him to - receiver or defensive back. Get him on the field.

Of course, if we tank again and Dodge is fired...well, then the story changes immensely.

As far as Baine or Tune, neither give me a warm, fuzzy feeling. We may have the weakest array of QBs on any FBS roster. And, the irony is, QB development was supposed to be Dodge's calling card.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Hardly a "nepotistic" rise. The returning starter decided not to return, and Riley is the most heralded recruit UNT has ever had at the QB position. So, by default, he is the obvious starter.

J-Hall will not be here this fall, but in 2010--he cannot possibly "ride the pine for at least 4 seasons as Riley plays out his eligibility." We do have a QB recruit who will be here this fall--Derek Thompson. I do imagine he will redshirt unless we have at least two injuries at the QB position.

Right. So, move him to one of the positions that nearly every other college coach would move him to - receiver or defensive back. Get him on the field.

Of course, if we tank again and Dodge is fired...well, then the story changes immensely.

As far as Baine or Tune, neither give me a warm, fuzzy feeling. We may have the weakest array of QBs on any FBS roster. And, the irony is, QB development was supposed to be Dodge's calling card.

I don't know if I'd move him. There is a chance Riley could be a bad QB or can't stay healthy. How ironic would it be if NT goes through another 4 years of QB controversy and it includes a QB named Hall.

*I see I've made a mistake, Hall would only have to sit behind Riles for 3 years*

Edited by Got5onIt

Hardly a "nepotistic" rise. The returning starter decided not to return, and Riley is the most heralded recruit UNT has ever had at the QB position. So, by default, he is the obvious starter.

J-Hall will not be here this fall, but in 2010--he cannot possibly "ride the pine for at least 4 seasons as Riley plays out his eligibility." We do have a QB recruit who will be here this fall--Derek Thompson. I do imagine he will redshirt unless we have at least two injuries at the QB position.

So being the most highly rated recruit gives you the starting job??? You must be related to Dan Hawkins.

So being the most highly rated recruit gives you the starting job??? You must be related to Dan Hawkins.

There is not exactly the caliber of competition at UNT that there is at USC. Riley's only competition is from walk-ons. He wouldn't have to be 53rd cousin to the head coach, he'd still have the starting job with Vizza gone.

We most certainly do not have the worst QB roster in all of FBS.

I am much more concerned about the play calling than whoever is behind the wheel.

How hard was it to throw 30+ passes to the flat every game? We don't need an All-American to do that.

I'd be alright with Tune...didn't he lead us on a scoring drive last year?

Edited by greenminer

There is not exactly the caliber of competition at UNT that there is at USC. Riley's only competition is from walk-ons. He wouldn't have to be 53rd cousin to the head coach, he'd still have the starting job with Vizza gone.

Hmmm, I guess you do have a point, kinda. B)

Did you forget 6-4, 220 Derek Thompson will be in this fall?

So far, there are 8 or 9 known QB's the staff is recruiting, with

several offers already on the table. More QB recruits are

going to show up this recruiting season. NT may gain another

QB commitment before recruiting ends in February.

Dual QB Henry Hunter, Sachse HS is another top QB recruit

that has interest from NT, Iowa ST, TCU, KS, UNLV and SMU.

Hunter is only considering NT and TCU.

All the QB recruits already know Riley is here, which does

not scare away their interest with Coach Dodge and Riley.

Right now, Riley will run the show.

Every team needs good QB's, so if the staff can gain the

commitment from a top QB, sign him.

I guess TX Tech and Oklahoma recruit top QB's just to

"ride the pine".

QB's come here to learn from Coach Dodge. Dodge's

summer football camps have QB's from all over the

country attending, just because of Coach Dodge's QB

coaching skills. Many QB's come back for a 2nd camp.

Why do you think Riley is so good- he learned the game

from his dad.

We most certainly do not have the worst QB roster in all of FBS.

I am much more concerned about the play calling than whoever is behind the wheel.

How hard was it to throw 30+ passes to the flat every game? We don't need an All-American to do that.

I'd be alright with Tune...didn't he lead us on a scoring drive last year?

Alrighty then, the guantlet is thrown down...find another school with as much inexperience with their QBs going into the seasons as we do. :rolleyes:

Here's the problem for us as UNT fans in 2009, we had a very good quarterback leave. When he left, essentially nothing was there. But, our crack head coach didn't go out and do what many schools do - get a JUCO QB for insurance. Therefore, if the probable occurs (Riley being unable to do the job), we are stuck with a couple of walk-ons and a true freshman to try to hit those inexperienced receivers.

It's really, really dicey on the offensive side of the ball in this offense for 2009. It would be different if we had an offense (coach and coordinator) that played to its roster's strengths - the offensive line and running backs. We don't have that luxury. Instead, we will be treated to an aerial attack the equivalent of World War I biplanes. Meanwhile, a 21st century ground attack (two 900+ yard rushers in 2008) with be gathering mothballs on the sideline.

In short, we're going to find out what this whole experiment is all about: truly trying to make UNT better or trying to prove that Riley can be a college quarterback. We'll know by mid-October.

Did you forget 6-4, 220 Derek Thompson will be in this fall?

So far, there are 8 or 9 known QB's the staff is recruiting, with

several offers already on the table. More QB recruits are

going to show up this recruiting season. NT may gain another

QB commitment before recruiting ends in February.

Dual QB Henry Hunter, Sachse HS is another top QB recruit

that has interest from NT, Iowa ST, TCU, KS, UNLV and SMU.

Hunter is only considering NT and TCU.

All the QB recruits already know Riley is here, which does

not scare away their interest with Coach Dodge and Riley.

Right now, Riley will run the show.

Every team needs good QB's, so if the staff can gain the

commitment from a top QB, sign him.

I guess TX Tech and Oklahoma recruit top QB's just to

"ride the pine".

QB's come here to learn from Coach Dodge. Dodge's

summer football camps have QB's from all over the

country attending, just because of Coach Dodge's QB

coaching skills. Many QB's come back for a 2nd camp.

Why do you think Riley is so good- he learned the game

from his dad.

Well, Derek may have to ride the pine for 4 years, etc. Honestly, I want the best QB to play, if that's Riley, I'm 100% behind him. Honestly, do you think any of the other QB's have a "fair" shot?

Alrighty then, the guantlet is thrown down...find another school with as much inexperience with their QBs going into the seasons as we do. :rolleyes:

Who will be starting at Georgia, Mizzou, Tech and UL-Lafayette? I really don't know...just know that those 4 schools lost their starters

Finding a spare QB at the end of the season is tough to do.

All the good QB's are gone that late in the recruiting game.

Especially QB's that meet the criteria set by the staff.

Too bad Vizza did not tell the staff he was going to quit

before the season started.

The OL and the RB's will be a strong factor this season,

and the staff knows this. A strong run game and passing

attack go hand in hand. Dodgeball not only features

a passing attack, but also a run attack. Dunbar was heading

to a record year before he got hurt. Cam came on strong,

with 928yds. The run attack featured 3 backs, Cam, Dunbar,

and Mosley. Dunbar and Mosley got hurt, then James Hamilton

came in and proved out to be a pretty good back too.

Riley is not all about passing or setting records. Riley gives this team

another demension with his running ability, reading defenses, and

his knowledge of Dodgeball. Riley is smart, quick and fast. Riley will

hit many zone reads big time this season. Riley had 2 zone reads

for TD's in the spring game, only to be stopped by the officals.

Riley gives this team a offensive weapon, not because of his father,

but because Riley is one heck of a athlete.

Riley's "nepotistic" rise to the starting Qb role and the loss of Pepperoni Vizza, has me wondering how Teflon Todd will handle the new recruit? If J-Hall does indeed stand behind his commitment, he would have to ride the pine for at least 4 seasons as Riley plays out his eligibility (of course, assuming Teflon isn't fired within the next 4 years). Redshirting the new guy would give him a shot at possibly starting for two years. How much time does Tune have left? What about Baine? Is Baine a viable option at backup?

Begin the speculation!

:devil: :devil: :devil:

It is my understanding Hall was recruited to play QB at NT.

Tune was a soph in 08, should be a Jr. 09 and a sr in 10.

Here's the problem for us as UNT fans in 2009, we had a very good quarterback leave. When he left, essentially nothing was there. But, our crack head coach didn't go out and do what many schools do - get a JUCO QB for insurance. Therefore, if the probable occurs (Riley being unable to do the job), we are stuck with a couple of walk-ons and a true freshman to try to hit those inexperienced receivers.

How far from the truth do you have to go to run Dodge down? We could have Matthew Stafford, Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford here and you'd still complain that the cupboard was bare. We have Riley Dodge, two time player of the year in Class 5A and one of the most herald recruits in NT's recent history. Why will he be unable to do the job? Please give me one good reason other than your hatred of Todd Dodge, Riley Dodge, Dodge trucks, etc...?

In one line you complain that T. Dodge didn't bring in a JUCO for insurance, and then in the next sentence you state the QB will be throwing to inexperienced receivers, two of which are JUCO transfers and one other an OU transfer. So, are JUCO QB transfers experienced and ready to go, but JUCO receivers aren't? How about two years ago when everyone was crying over the graduation of Johnny Quinn. Seems to me a little known walk-on stepped up and led the way. I would be pretty comfortable in stating that one or two or our WR's will do the same this year.

You should take the path of most lawyers and go in to politics. You switch your story to suit your needs more often than Silver Eagle punches offensive coorinators!

It's really, really dicey on the offensive side of the ball in this offense for 2009. It would be different if we had an offense (coach and coordinator) that played to its roster's strengths - the offensive line and running backs. We don't have that luxury. Instead, we will be treated to an aerial attack the equivalent of World War I biplanes. Meanwhile, a 21st century ground attack (two 900+ yard rushers in 2008) with be gathering mothballs on the sideline.

In short, we're going to find out what this whole experiment is all about: truly trying to make UNT better or trying to prove that Riley can be a college quarterback. We'll know by mid-October.

The sky if falling everyone look out.

I don't know about the rest of the folks that attended Spring Game this year, but I thought that Riley looked pretty decent out there. I share some of Lonnie's concerns as far as having largely unproven receivers, as well as how his body will hold up during the season, but there does seem to be some significant upside there. If he's able to take some hits, it appears as though he's a very capable runner. I thought that his arm looked good in the Spring game, and even though we didn't light up the scoreboard, there appears to be potenital to move the ball effectively again. Having Montgomery, Dunbar, and Mosely rotating in the backfield should be helpful in Dodge's development at QB.

As with any young QB, there are sure to be bumps in the road, but ultimately I think he should be effective.

I just read this the other day and have been looking for an appropriate place to post it. This seems as good as any. From texasfootball.com:

Texas A&M unexpectedly won the sweepstakes for former UNT starting QB Giovanni Vizza, who decided to transfer after the end of the '08-'09 season. Though he won't be able to play until 2010, his presence at least gives A&M the quarterback it has long been looking for in its 2009 class.

I don't want to bash him, but I wasn't aware there was any "sweepstakes" for Giovanni and I'll be a bit surprised if he ever gets to start for the Aggies.

As far as our QB situation goes. Yes, they are VERY young and inexperienced, but I think they have a lot of potential. I like the addition of Derek Thompson this year. Although I think he is a good possibility to redshirt, I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't. Riley's durability is big question mark right now and I'm not sure how capable the backups are...we can no longer turn to the old, faithful - DM.

I still remember that knucklehead (since we can't curse on this site, I'm resorting to using my grandfather's vocabulary), dodge2007, declaring that no QB would dare commit to UNT for the next 4 years, after Riley committed to a team that already had Giovanni on its roster. Aside from that being just an ignorant statement, hindsight shows that we need to recruit at least one QB each and every year. The position is just too important to not always be on the lookout for a QB. Look how many QBs are transferring out of or getting injured at the major colleges.

Regarding Hall's freshman season...well, I'd really rather not speculate until he's at least signed his LOI. However, like OT mentioned, I'm quite certain he was recruited to play QB and, based on his comments in the DRC, he doesn't seem open to the possibility of playing another position. I'd hate to lose him because he read a bunch of crap on gmg.com about how he was going to be forced to change positions or get redshirted when the coaching staff most likely told him something else.

This post was out of line. I would have deleted it, but it has been quoted elsewhere. Our walk-ons at North Texas are gamers, and some of our biggest contributors (e.g., Fitz, Chris Hurd, Truman Spencer). From what I have seen, Nathan Tune is committed to the Mean Green, and I do not doubt that Chase Baine and others are as well. My post comes across as insulting, and I apologize.

I just read this the other day and have been looking for an appropriate place to post it. This seems as good as any. From texasfootball.com:

Texas A&M unexpectedly won the sweepstakes for former UNT starting QB Giovanni Vizza, who decided to transfer after the end of the '08-'09 season. Though he won't be able to play until 2010, his presence at least gives A&M the quarterback it has long been looking for in its 2009 class.

I don't want to bash him, but I wasn't aware there was any "sweepstakes" for Giovanni and I'll be a bit surprised if he ever gets to start for the Aggies.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm not going to bash him but there is no way the Vizza ever starts at QB for A&M. I when I say starts I mean takes a snap for A&M. They have a long list of QB's who are ready to take over after Johnson. Vizza will for sure help out the scout team.

This season and the immediate future is all about Riley. It's a lot of pressure to put on a freshman's shoulders.

Why will he be unable to do the job? Please give me one good reason other than your hatred of Todd Dodge, Riley Dodge, Dodge trucks, etc...?

I don't know if the kid will make it or not, but what proof do we have that he won't be unable to do the job? That spring game was a disaster in terms of offensive movement. I sure didn't see anything that impressed me or gave me much hope for our offense. I for one do not believe that our defense has improved that much since the season was finished.

I don't know if the kid will make it or not, but what proof do we have that he won't be unable to do the job? That spring game was a disaster in terms of offensive movement. I sure didn't see anything that impressed me or gave me much hope for our offense. I for one do not believe that our defense has improved that much since the season was finished.

How about those 2 runs that Riley had that would have gone for TD's had the ref not blown the play dead?

I think we have hope if the transfer WR Stratford(?) is declared eligible for fall. The others, I haven't seen much of, but hope the injury to Outlaw was not serious; it sounds like he has real speed. However, I think the real thing is the running game; most people don't seem to realize how big a part of the spread offense that has been for Todd Dodge and others. I'd love to seen a brilliant senior season for Cam Montgomery. To me, he's the one solid piece of the offensive puzzle.