Who Are Our Friends?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Guest GrayEagleOne

Do we have any friends who could/would help us get into another conference should we choose?

In most any organization you need a sponsor...or at least an advocate. Have we developed a friendship with any university outside of the Sun Belt Conference? Good friends can front your cause and open a lot of doors that would be otherwise closed.

I don't see that we have developed any "friends" in high places that would put in a kind word on our behalf should the need arise. Although we compete with other universities in many ways that competition should be friendly; not bitter.

Who do you think that we should develop a comraderie with?....someone that we'd be willing to help as well as be helped? Or do you think that we should go it alone? I'd like your thoughts.

UNT must continue to develop their facilities and fan base, and more importantly, donations to the athletic department--particularly with alumni. This happens by winning football games. Enough alumni have to demand a winner on the field, and donate at a level that will ensure the pieces are in place (enough to provide facilities, coaches, trainers, AD, travel/recruiting, infrastructure) that the department becomes an oiled machine.

UNT has to take itself seriously before anyone else will. The new facilities and new stadium are very positive steps in this direction, but it needs to happen, and that needs to be followed by success on the field, and by increased giving. Once that situation exists, UNT will not need 'friends'. They shouldn't have to depend on 'friends' anyway.

IMPOSE YOUR WILL.

---Memphis was once a conference mate and seems to respect us. They may be our best supporter in CUSA. SMU is a big problem...that don't want a recruiting competitor nearby plus they have other issues with us.... including they fear competing with large state schools in their own state. (they have been there and done that) . If we improve and have good success then Houston and UTEP might come around to being in the same conf. with us. It could help them and make their conference look better.

--- I prefer CUSA but I think the Sunbelt will great improve and become much more visible.... the problem is no other Texas teams.... thus little Texas media space. Adding Texas State would help some but not a great deal.

---Stay away from the WAC ......expensive travel and I feel the Belt ( located in better time zones and more populated area) will eventually exceed it in status.

--- Big Twelve... forget it.. it will never happen unless the entire NCAA conference setup changes (don't hold your breath).

Edited after reading below comment: Tulsa (CUSA) was also a conference-mate (also MVC) ... and they might also support us and would be a close opponent. Still trust Memphis more.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Guest GrayEagleOne

UNT must continue to develop their facilities and fan base, and more importantly, donations to the athletic department--particularly with alumni. This happens by winning football games. Enough alumni have to demand a winner on the field, and donate at a level that will ensure the pieces are in place (enough to provide facilities, coaches, trainers, AD, travel/recruiting, infrastructure) that the department becomes an oiled machine.

UNT has to take itself seriously before anyone else will. The new facilities and new stadium are very positive steps in this direction, but it needs to happen, and that needs to be followed by success on the field, and by increased giving. Once that situation exists, UNT will not need 'friends'. They shouldn't have to depend on 'friends' anyway.

IMPOSE YOUR WILL.

I absolutely and totally agree with your first paragraph. Just as in a friendship, you have bring something to the table but unless you become so successful that conferences are clamoring to have you as a member, you must have help. If we wait until we are on everyone's wish list even the youngest of us may die before that happens. We need success on the field, in donations, and a new stadium to start the process. Moderate success will not insure any advancement in our program. Now if we win 3/4 of our games for the next four years and fill the new stadium then we might be considered for CUSA or the (possible) new Southwest Conference.

Personally, I think that we should be building bridges and alliances and I don't see us doing that. What's worse we have universities that are seemingly against our admittance to their conference. Even if we don't have friends we don't need to create any enemies.

I think we have made several friends over the past few seasons. Just about everyone would be willing to play us and some would even go so far as to start taking knees for us by the end of the 3rd quarter or early in the 4th.

Yes, we've had several offers to become homecoming fodder for many teams. <_<

Guest GrayEagleOne

I know it's not something heard alot around here. I really think that in the future the Belt will compete with CUSA. Troy is helping in football and WKU in basketball. What we really need is for another a school to join the upper echelon in both sports.

The Sun Belt will, in time, be stronger but it will still be a lot of miles between members, just as CUSA is.

If CUSA expanded say two or three years from now, North Texas would likely be left out again. SMU and Tulane would support La Tech and UAB would support Troy. I've even seen that a few individuals have stated that Southern Miss and UCF might also support them. What will we have going for us? A shiny, new 30,000 seat stadium and maybe a winning season. True, we have 175,000 living alumni but what good will that do us if they're all sitting on their hands and their billfolds/purses. We can't even use the TV market for much because we're the only Texas team in the 10th or 11th rated conference.

In the 55+ years of North Texas' Division I football, the Sun Belt is the only conference that has ever sought us out to be members. Maybe the Southland, I don't know. Of course, we've only been in the Missouri Valley and Big West besides the two forementioned conferences. In both cases it was more being in the right place at the right time but we did have some help getting in the MVC.

So far, we have been passed over by the WAC (when they went to 16 and when TCU left) and CUSA. In addition, we didn't get far enough for a vote to be admitted to the Southwest Conference. Yes, we do have to sell ourselves but it will take many more years without help.

The Sun Belt will, in time, be stronger but it will still be a lot of miles between members, just as CUSA is.

If CUSA expanded say two or three years from now, North Texas would likely be left out again. SMU and Tulane would support La Tech and UAB would support Troy. I've even seen that a few individuals have stated that Southern Miss and UCF might also support them. What will we have going for us? A shiny, new 30,000 seat stadium and maybe a winning season. True, we have 175,000 living alumni but what good will that do us if they're all sitting on their hands and their billfolds/purses. We can't even use the TV market for much because we're the only Texas team in the 10th or 11th rated conference.

In the 55+ years of North Texas' Division I football, the Sun Belt is the only conference that has ever sought us out to be members. Maybe the Southland, I don't know. Of course, we've only been in the Missouri Valley and Big West besides the two forementioned conferences. In both cases it was more being in the right place at the right time but we did have some help getting in the MVC.

So far, we have been passed over by the WAC (when they went to 16 and when TCU left) and CUSA. In addition, we didn't get far enough for a vote to be admitted to the Southwest Conference. Yes, we do have to sell ourselves but it will take many more years without help.

We did have an invite to the WAC before they took Idaho. As I heard it we wanted to bring along 3 or so friends and form an eastern division but other WAC schools didn't want that.

As for our future, I don't see us getting any help from Smut for CUSA membership. Like others have mentioned we need to build a nice, new facility then start increasing our wins and attendance. 30,000+ attendance for football and 8000 for basketball is what got UTEP invited to CUSA, although they were left behind by the MWC.

Edited by NT80

We did have an invite to the WAC before they took Idaho. As I heard it we wanted to bring along 3 or so friends and form an eastern division but other WAC schools didn't want that.

As for our future, I don't see us getting any help from Smut for CUSA membership. Like others have mentioned we need to build a nice, new facility then start increasing our wins and attendance. 30,000+ attendance for football and 8000 for basketball is what got UTEP invited to CUSA, although they were left behind by the MWC.

I think winning should be the number one priority with the stadium a close second. Face it, during our four year championship, bowl seasons, many people took notice. Now we are at the bottom of the pit trying to climb out again. Don't get me wrong, the stadium is a must and should have been started several years ago.

I think winning should be the number one priority with the stadium a close second. Face it, during our four year championship, bowl seasons, many people took notice. Now we are at the bottom of the pit trying to climb out again. Don't get me wrong, the stadium is a must and should have been started several years ago.

Deep Green, not enough people took notice. Outside of our fans who attended the games over this span, most did not think anything of it. The DFW media mentioned very little, if at all. And we never got one of those warm and fuzzy stories on say ESPN or a FOx sports show. I know many outsiders think the four championships were no big deal because of our OOC record and the conference in which we won them. That said, the championships were still in Div. 1 college football. And we all know, with the ups and downs we have witnessed over the years at UNT (lack of alumni support, lack of support from most admins, etc) it was one heck of an accomplishment and something that all Mean Green fans should hold their heads up about.

Edited by Green Dozer

I don't see that we have developed any "friends" in high places that would put in a kind word on our behalf should the need arise. Although we compete with other universities in many ways that competition should be friendly; not bitter.

Who do you think that we should develop a comraderie with?....someone that we'd be willing to help as well as be helped? Or do you think that we should go it alone? I'd like your thoughts.

Mayber we should get a certain publicty whore celebrity to develop friendships for us once he is done with his current arse kissing tour. :ph34r:

We need to only worry about what North Texas can control as well as take the route WKY, FAU, Troy and Ark St has taken and build the Belt and not worry about the other conferences. We need to get the stadium completed, increase season ticket sales, increase our donations and increase our wins. And that includes taking down a Goliath now and then as Troy and Ark St has done recently. We control our own path. If we do that the Belt will grow with us and we won't have to worry about anything else.

Rick

Guest GrayEagleOne

We need to only worry about what North Texas can control as well as take the route WKY, FAU, Troy and Ark St has taken and build the Belt and not worry about the other conferences. We need to get the stadium completed, increase season ticket sales, increase our donations and increase our wins. And that includes taking down a Goliath now and then as Troy and Ark St has done recently. We control our own path. If we do that the Belt will grow with us and we won't have to worry about anything else.

Rick

We absolutely have to get the stadium built and increase the number of wins...no argument from me on that.

But getting attendance and donations up is another matter. Some of the alumni that I have talked to about donating have essentially said...only if we can get in a conference where I know some of the teams. How much easier would it be to get donations if conference games wee SMU, Houston, Rice, or Tulsa? We will never be the giant that people will come to see regardless of who we play.

The Sun Belt could become the second best non-automatic qualifying conference in the FBS and we'll still struggle for recognition among our own alumni. We will still be the MAC South in their eyes. You and I may realize the improvement in the teams and makeup of the SBC but the vast majority of our amumni do not.

One game with our neighbors per year is not going to increase our attendance dramatically. Remember, we are the only Texas team in the conference and there are only two in adjoining states.

It is trite to say that we control our own destiny. That has always been true of every team and always will be. That also doesn't mean that there is only one path to improvement. We can go it alone and you won't see North Texas where you want them to be in your lifetime, let alone mine. Or, we can develop friends who might make our pathway a little quicker and easier.

I do believe, as has been noted here, that UNT can do a great deal to control its own destiny with regard to conference affiliation. Get the staddium built, start winning more and on a consistent basis, and bring home attendance up in both football and basketball, and the conference question will probably take care of itself. Perhaps there would be some folks out there who would like to develop a new conference based on some regional "head to head" competition. Who knows, but first things first.

We absolutely have to get the stadium built and increase the number of wins...no argument from me on that.

But getting attendance and donations up is another matter. Some of the alumni that I have talked to about donating have essentially said...only if we can get in a conference where I know some of the teams. How much easier would it be to get donations if conference games wee SMU, Houston, Rice, or Tulsa? We will never be the giant that people will come to see regardless of who we play.

The Sun Belt could become the second best non-automatic qualifying conference in the FBS and we'll still struggle for recognition among our own alumni. We will still be the MAC South in their eyes. You and I may realize the improvement in the teams and makeup of the SBC but the vast majority of our amumni do not.

One game with our neighbors per year is not going to increase our attendance dramatically. Remember, we are the only Texas team in the conference and there are only two in adjoining states.

It is trite to say that we control our own destiny. That has always been true of every team and always will be. That also doesn't mean that there is only one path to improvement. We can go it alone and you won't see North Texas where you want them to be in your lifetime, let alone mine. Or, we can develop friends who might make our pathway a little quicker and easier.

Alright, great. Now how do we do this?

I say, make friends with UTEP, Tulsa, Memphis, Southern Miss....in that order. Houston does not respect us and SMU out and out hates us. We should develop a rivalry with them so that we play every other year in Denton....to offset the years they are not coming to SMU. That gives them a game in DFW every year.

It was a very nice accomplishment for us. You are right that not enough took notice outside of UNT. And I think it is exactly because of the lack of OOC wins. I mean, UNT was kind of a national joke for getting to play in a bowl game with a losing record. And because of that, it made all subsequent conference championships a little cheaper in the eyes of many. And who can blame them? Nothing like losing most of your OOC games and then winning those exciting 10-0 and 17-10 games against powerhouses like NMSU and ULL. Sweeping through the Belt for a few years was exciting for us, but who else noticed?

Troy has gotten more national recognition without going undefeated in the Belt by beating a BCS team every other year.

Both are parts of the equation to get noticed and more national attention. ULM beat Bama but didn't do well otherwise so most brushed it off as a fluke. UNT wins conference but can't beat a known OOC opponent so it goes down as winning a weak conference. Troy in multiple years wins conference, beats good OOC teams, and does well in the Bowls all to give a rounded picture of a quality program.

Green Dozer Posted Yesterday, 03:53 PM

Deep Green, not enough people took notice. Outside of our fans who attended the games over this span, most did not think anything of it. The DFW media mentioned very little, if at all. And we never got one of those warm and fuzzy stories on say ESPN or a FOx sports show. I know many outsiders think the four championships were no big deal because of our OOC record and the conference in which we won them. That said, the championships were still in Div. 1 college football. And we all know, with the ups and downs we have witnessed over the years at UNT (lack of alumni support, lack of support from most admins, etc) it was one heck of an accomplishment and something that all Mean Green fans should hold their heads up about.

I seem to recall getting the cover story in USA Today regarding the back to back rushing championships with a picture of Jamario and Cobbs. We're going to have to move into the Top 25 to get much coverage from ESPN and break their love fest with the BcS Big 6 Conference schools. Heck, TCU barely gets a mention on ESPN.

FirefightnRick Posted Today, 12:09 AM

100% true.

NT03 Posted Yesterday, 08:51 PM

Aren't we tight with Lamar U. Didn't we host some of their students during a hurricane ?

Even if we are "tight" with Lamar, with all due respect, what can Lamar do for us? I'm hoping your post was sarcastic.

GrayEagleOne Posted Today, 08:13 AM

The bold area pisses me off every time I read that. GrayEagleOne is right on target when he states that and that is the most ridiculous comment from alumni. Why should it matter who NT plays, we should go see them, because it is our university's football team. That is why I am so glad to see the emphasis being put on the student body through spirit building competitions, orientation, campus pep rallies, etc... that builds memories and loyalty while they are students and brings them back as contributing alumni. It's time to identify the current alumni that are involved and cut the remaining loose. Just stop contacting them. They'll be the first ones to complain when this program gets turned around and they can't get a ticket because the games are sold out.

NT80 Posted Today, 12:06 PM

Both are parts of the equation to get noticed and more national attention. ULM beat Bama but didn't do well otherwise so most brushed it off as a fluke. UNT wins conference but can't beat a known OOC opponent so it goes down as winning a weak conference. Troy in multiple years wins conference, beats good OOC teams, and does well in the Bowls all to give a rounded picture of a quality program.

The above sums up nicely what NT must do, beat an OOC opponent from one of the "big" conferences, win conference and go to and win bowl games annually.

their is no question that we must concertrate on building our athletic program so that we bring value to potential conference suitors. i also believe that economics could impact cusa to the extent that they split , with the east picking up both florida schools and troy. middle and w.k. could move to the mac, and la tech, a/state, and unt to the west. s. ala.,ulala, and monroe would be sol. if we are not chosen by cusa west, then we could replace la tech in the wac. but first, we need to take care of the business at hand, which is to strengthen our overall program.