Sping Practice

Side Show Joe

I been busy with work and haven't been able to post what I've seen at practices this Spring, but after reading some of the posts I feel obligated to share my opinions. I've been to two practices so far. Here is a run down of what I've seen.

1. Riley has a big time arm. I watched him at practice last year, and feel his arm is much stronger now. Makes me wonder if he was still recovering from the shoulder surgery when he was practicing last year. Last week he showed the touch to throw the deep ball, the fastball and accuracy to thread the needle between defenders over the middle, and the knowledge to read the defense and take what they are giving up. Aside from a pick I saw him throw, He looked very solid.

2. The team looks stronger and more physical then they did at any time last year. I'm thinking the new strength coach is really getting after these guys. The O-line looks especially big. And when I say that I mean tall, solid and cut. It's hard to judge the size from outside the fence, and with Riley lining up back there, but my best guess would have to be the line might average 6'4"-6'5" and between 295 and 320.

3. Cam Montgomery looks ready for the season to start now. A few times he squeezed through holes and had big gains, but on most carries he was able to at least get 3 or 4 yards.

4. Gilmore looks great. This guy is really something special on the field. I saw him get to a few passes and come up with an interception. You guys who watch the games know what he does.

5. Tobe is still leading by example in the middle. He is a very solid tackler.

6. The front four on defense look fairly good, but we just don't have enough depth behind them. When the second and third team go up against the second and third O, they don't get to the QB. And that's not good. How are they going to rotate in and play against starters from other teams? It is my hope that some of these guys are spending their spring break's driving between buffet's and the gym with the new strength coach.

7. Jackson and Outlaw look fine. They run decent routes and catch the ball well. All of the receivers look as though they are ready to contribute. But the most impressive WR I've seen at practice is a guy who wears #18. Vito said he thinks he's a walk on from Navarro. This kid runs good routes and catches everything around him. He also does an outstanding job of using his body to create space between himself and the defender.

8. The secondary looks pretty physical. I think they are doing a better job of tackling in the open field, but their ability to cover will really depend on how well the front four can put pressure on quarterbacks.

9. I wish I could tell you something about our special teams, but I haven't seen them in practice. I'm not saying they aren't working on special teams, I just haven't been there when they were.

10. It's really nice to be able to go to the practices and feel welcomed. I don't get there until around 4:45 on most days because I have to drive up from Fort Worth after work. Anyone who can get out their and watch really should. I think the team really likes seeing the fans show up and support them. I'll be out there again next week, and will try to post some updates for you guys who live too far away.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I been busy with work and haven't been able to post what I've seen at practices this Spring, but after reading some of the posts I feel obligated to share my opinions. I've been to two practices so far. Here is a run down of what I've seen.

1. Riley has a big time arm. I watched him at practice last year, and feel his arm is much stronger now. Makes me wonder if he was still recovering from the shoulder surgery when he was practicing last year. Last week he showed the touch to throw the deep ball, the fastball and accuracy to thread the needle between defenders over the middle, and the knowledge to read the defense and take what they are giving up. Aside from a pick I saw him throw, He looked very solid.

2. The team looks stronger and more physical then they did at any time last year. I'm thinking the new strength coach is really getting after these guys. The O-line looks especially big. And when I say that I mean tall, solid and cut. It's hard to judge the size from outside the fence, and with Riley lining up back there, but my best guess would have to be the line might average 6'4"-6'5" and between 295 and 320.

3. Cam Montgomery looks ready for the season to start now. A few times he squeezed through holes and had big gains, but on most carries he was able to at least get 3 or 4 yards.

4. Gilmore looks great. This guy is really something special on the field. I saw him get to a few passes and come up with an interception. You guys who watch the games know what he does.

5. Tobe is still leading by example in the middle. He is a very solid tackler.

6. The front four on defense look fairly good, but we just don't have enough depth behind them. When the second and third team go up against the second and third O, they don't get to the QB. And that's not good. How are they going to rotate in and play against starters from other teams? It is my hope that some of these guys are spending their spring break's driving between buffet's and the gym with the new strength coach.

7. Jackson and Outlaw look fine. They run decent routes and catch the ball well. All of the receivers look as though they are ready to contribute. But the most impressive WR I've seen at practice is a guy who wears #18. Vito said he thinks he's a walk on from Navarro. This kid runs good routes and catches everything around him. He also does an outstanding job of using his body to create space between himself and the defender.

8. The secondary looks pretty physical. I think they are doing a better job of tackling in the open field, but their ability to cover will really depend on how well the front four can put pressure on quarterbacks.

9. I wish I could tell you something about our special teams, but I haven't seen them in practice. I'm not saying they aren't working on special teams, I just haven't been there when they were.

10. It's really nice to be able to go to the practices and feel welcomed. I don't get there until around 4:45 on most days because I have to drive up from Fort Worth after work. Anyone who can get out their and watch really should. I think the team really likes seeing the fans show up and support them. I'll be out there again next week, and will try to post some updates for you guys who live too far away.

Thanks for the information. I'll look forward to your updates.

Side Show Joe, thanks for your practice report!

I believe the interior DL and the DE's will be strong this season,

and will have much needed added depth at each positions.

I spoke to Coach Nelson, who is now coaching the entire DL

as a group. Coach Nelson said there are a number of players,

that will make the difference this season. Coach Nelson has

30+ years coaching the DL play, including stints at BCS level

programs. Coach Nelson has developed a large number of

all conference and all american type players. For Coach

Nelson to say there are a number of DL players that will make

the difference with the NT defensive front, I think his endorsement

about these players has creditability.

DL- the players I know

DE's/Depth: Gilmore, Russo, Owusu-Hemeng, Stewart, Brown, (note-

Cantly was working at DE when he twisted his knee), JUCO Weber.

I noticed two new DE names, DE Brian Murray, 6-4, 237, Watauga TX,

(East Central Oklahoma- walk on/transfer?), and DE Joseph Nailor,

6-2, 235,Houston TX, (Univ of Idaho, walk on/transfer?)

My projected starting DE's are Gilmore and Russo.

DT's/Depth - the players I know:

Ross, DeSoto, Franklin, Cantly, Hawthorne, (Brown played DT LY)

Incoming JUCO's Atkinson, Jackson, true fresh Kyle White.

My projected starting DT's are Ross and DeSoto.

The incoming JUCO's will have to prove they can push out the

starters. If the JUCO's can prove they are the #1 player, great!

My projected starters are not going to conceed their positions because

JUCO's are coming this fall. More trench wars are coming, and I like

the way the competition is developing! I am sure Coach Nelson and

Coach DeLoach like the competition too!

DL- the players I know

I've asked this before, but does anyone know how Mr. Franklin is progressing?

Side Show Joe, thanks for the detailed practice information? Have you ever considered working for the Athletic Department? :angry:

Edited by DeepGreen

DL- the players I know

I think you are absolutely right about Ross and Desoto. These two look bigger and stronger this year, like solid starters. They have great size and strength, and have looked good this spring.

Yes, any update on Troy Franklin, and while we are asking, any update on Cantly's injury?

Silver and Lifer,

I carried a make-shift roster with me to the practices, but it was not all that accurate. I got the updated Spring roster ready to go for next week. The only time I've been looking at it is if I see someone make a really great play and don't already know who they are. To be honest, I haven't seen Franklin make a big play. That's not to say he hasn't. I just haven't been there for every practice. Next week I'll be sure to keep an eye on him and let you know want I think. As for Cantly, I don't have any information on his injury. I'll keep an eye open for him too. I will say Cantly looks like he could develop into the kind of player we could anchor the fount four around in a few years.

SIDE SHOW, you must be kidding. Big time arm?? Wow, then Tune and Baine must have some weak arms to make that statement.

He cannot throw the deep out route against any top level CB. If he had a big time arm, he would not be here. No one recruited this guy has a QB, but as an athlete. Have you seen him go live where they can hit him? (of course not, TD is not allowing full contact for the first time since he has been here).

Riley has good feet but he will not outrun quality LB's with speed nor would he outrun Gilmore. Gilmore wants to put the wood to him but has to back off. The team is behind Nathan. Nathan is just waiting his turn to get more reps with the first team. The problem is that Dodge is letting his son get most, if not all, the reps. Dodge has one more season and his tenure is gone. He wants his "star" son to get his time because after this season, its open game at QB.

I expect a JUCO to be signed at QB by the next head coach at UNT. Big time arm? You must be kidding me.

Edited by UNT2012

SIDE SHOW, you must be kidding. Big time arm?? Wow, then Tune and Baine must have some weak arms to make that statement.

He cannot throw the deep out route against any top level CB. If he had a big time arm, he would not be here. No one recruited this guy has a QB, but as an athlete. Have you seen him go live where they can hit him? (of course not, TD is not allowing full contact for the first time since he has been here).

Riley has good feet but he will not outrun quality LB's with speed nor would he outrun Gilmore. Gilmore wants to put the wood to him but has to back off. The team is behind Nathan. Nathan is just waiting his turn to get more reps with the first team. The problem is that Dodge is letting his son get most, if not all, the reps. Dodge has one more season and his tenure is gone. He wants his "star" son to get his time because after this season, its open game at QB.

I expect a JUCO to be signed at QB by the next head coach at UNT. Big time arm? You must be kidding me.

I am only posting my opinion of the practices, and I don't mind that you take exception with my views. You are welcome to attend practices and post what you see.

I feel the reason Riley was not recruited by other schools could have been because he committed early to Texas, but had he not committed early, his size could have been a concern for other schools who may have wanted him at QB. As for not getting hit in practice, I don't believe Dodge let his QBs get hit in spring ball last year either, with the exception of the spring game. Anyone who watched a practice last year that can shed light on this subject, please do. Just because I feel Riley is preforming well, does not mean I think Tune or Baine are not.

So, I'll say it again. Riley has a big time arm. These are my opinions and you can agree or disagree with them.

Give it up sir. Giovanni is no longer at North Texas so you might as well go over to the Aggie boards with your haterade because you're wasting our time.

Edited by Cr1028

Give it up sir. Giovanni is no longer at North Texas so you might as well go over to the Aggie boards with your haterade because you're wasting our time.

I guess some on the board enjoy Green Kool-Aid others Haterade.

Refuel your hate with Haterade.

Because Hate can't wait - Haterade.

The taste you'll hate - Haterade.

I am at every practice so I see what you see so we are all entitled to our own opinions.

I will agree we are so much better and have way more talent and experience than last season.

We are deep at OL and will protect sir Riley so much better this season.

We have legitimate WR's who can run. It remains to be seen how well they do against very aggresive and experienced CB's.

LB core is good. Still lack some speed but they are damn tough.

Kicker still scares me.

CB's are deep but scare me.

Safties are hitters and will be better.

DL is thin but they will put some pressure on the QB and help our secondary.

WE will win some games this season. Ball State, Army, ULL all come to mind.

Ball State lost their difference maker and playermaker in Nate Davis (as Nate went, their team went). Deloach will tear up a new QB.

MiQaule Lewis?

Also, I'm sure Ball State isn't worried about their QB situation. Their head coach was the QB coach at Michigan during the Brian Griese and Tom Brady years. He also was the Tampa Bay Bucs QB coach in 2002 when they won their Super Bowl. Anyone who can coach Brad Johnson to a Super Bowl win is not someone who will be unprepared in the QB department at any level.

Besides, the senior taking over for Davis is in his fifth year of the system. The leading receiver and starting tight end return. Lewis not only rushed for over 1,700 yards, he was also third on the team in receptions. So, Ball State isn't lacking experienced playmakers.

Rather than focusing on the Cardinal offense, we should be more worried about their defense, which returns their front seven, including all four defensive linemen. We're breaking in a new QB and wide outs. Facing an experience DL will show us right off the bat wheth.er or not we've improved from 2008.

Either way, to chalk up a win prediction against a team that has won its division two consecutives years, returns 3/4ths of its playmakers of offense and its entire defensive line, is naive at best.

MiQaule Lewis?

Also, I'm sure Ball State isn't worried about their QB situation. Their head coach was the QB coach at Michigan during the Brian Griese and Tom Brady years. He also was the Tampa Bay Bucs QB coach in 2002 when they won their Super Bowl. Anyone who can coach Brad Johnson to a Super Bowl win is not someone who will be unprepared in the QB department at any level.

Besides, the senior taking over for Davis is in his fifth year of the system. The leading receiver and starting tight end return. Lewis not only rushed for over 1,700 yards, he was also third on the team in receptions. So, Ball State isn't lacking experienced playmakers.

Rather than focusing on the Cardinal offense, we should be more worried about their defense, which returns their front seven, including all four defensive linemen. We're breaking in a new QB and wide outs. Facing an experience DL will show us right off the bat wheth.er or not we've improved from 2008.

Either way, to chalk up a win prediction against a team that has won its division two consecutives years, returns 3/4ths of its playmakers of offense and its entire defensive line, is naive at best.

Not a chance against Ball St. The line will be in the high 20s / low 30s. We won't be the favorites.

Better chance in conference.

I hope I'm wrong.