Coaching/playing Experience !

greenblooded43

FYI - When it comes to coaching and playing, there is a big difference between D1 and D3 even back 20 yrs ago. The way I look at it, playing experience helps your coaching experience especially at a higher level. Question- Would you want a guy like Colt McCoy coaching your D1 QB's or a D3 guy coaching your D1 QB's in the future, that never experience that atmosphere. However if the D3 coach hangs around long enough and knows the right people he can be moved up to D1. This being said we need to get off all the coaches' back bc I think the experience levels out between them. We have coaches that have coached at a high powered high school that played D1 football and then you have coaches that have D1 coaching experience that never played D1 competition as a player.

So lets be fair, bc our defensive coordinator came from the same place as our special teams coach. One went on to coach JUCO and the other went on to coach a State Championship Texas HS Team.

ALL ASPECTS OF THE GAME AT NORTH TEXAS NEEDS TO BE WORKED ON AND ALL HAVE EXPERIENCED COACHES TO GET IT DONE!!

Playing Experience:

HC- TODD DODGE - TEXAS D1

Offense Coaches

OC- TODD FORD - TEXAS D1

WR- CLAYTON GEORGE- NORTH TEXAS - D1

RB- SHELTON GANDY- SOUTHERN MISS - D1

OL- SPENCER LEFTWICH- STEPHEN F AUSTIN - D2 @ that time.

Defensive Coaches

DC- GARY DELOACH - HOWARD PAYNE - D3

DT- ROBERT DRAKE- HOWARD PAYNE - D3

DE- DAVID ROUSCH - HARDIN SIMMONS - D3

S- CHUCK PETERSEN - AIR FORCE - D1

CB- BUCKELS - LSU - D1

Edited by greenblooded43

greenblooded - You're tired of people questioning and complaining about a coaching staff that has compiled a 3-21 record??

Well, I'm tired of losing and people being content with the status quo. I don't care if Mickey Mouse is the head coach of the Mean Green as long as it translates to wins.

Still, I don't buy your argument. Sure, having played the game helps you understand it...but, by no means, does that mean the best players will become the best coaches. I don't have the time, enthusiasm or desire to analyze what's wrong with this team. There is simply too much that needs to be fixed. Our old Buick was in bad need of an engine overhaul two years ago, but now it's wrecked and not even running anymore. Is it totaled beyond repair? Is it the mechanic's fault or the driver?

I had serious doubts about this hire when it was still being discussed here on gmg. When I voiced my concerns I was lambasted. My concerns grew as the rest of the staff was assembled but I got caught up in the excitement and the attention the media was giving UNT. The recruiting seemed to be much improved and I had high hopes for the first season. I have been nothing but disappointed and embarrassed by the team's performance both on and off the field. Over the last two years, we have been regulars on the ESPN bottom 10 list, last in defensive yards and points allowed and set many dubious records such as most points allowed and most losses in a season in the HISTORY of our program.

I like Todd Dodge and I do not advocate his firing, but this program can not afford two more years like we've just witnessed. I have seen very little to make me believe this team is even remotely close to heading in the right direction. I expect significant improvements next season or I will indeed be calling for a change in leadership from the AD down to the water boy.

I don't care about a coach's playing experience, I care about their coaching experience.

There's a good story about Ted Williams (the greatest baseball player ever) trying to coach a minor leaguer. Williams was explaining how all the kid had to was make an adjustment and he could turn on and hit an inside fast ball out of the park. The kid replied if I could turn on an inside fast ball for a home run I wouldn't be in the minors.

greenblooded - You're tired of people questioning and complaining about a coaching staff that has compiled a 3-21 record??

Well, I'm tired of losing and people being content with the status quo. I don't care if Mickey Mouse is the head coach of the Mean Green as long as it translates to wins.

Still, I don't buy your argument. Sure, having played the game helps you understand it...but, by no means, does that mean the best players will become the best coaches. I don't have the time, enthusiasm or desire to analyze what's wrong with this team. There is simply too much that needs to be fixed. Our old Buick was in bad need of an engine overhaul two years ago, but now it's wrecked and not even running anymore. Is it totaled beyond repair? Is it the mechanic's fault or the driver?

I had serious doubts about this hire when it was still being discussed here on gmg. When I voiced my concerns I was lambasted. My concerns grew as the rest of the staff was assembled but I got caught up in the excitement and the attention the media was giving UNT. The recruiting seemed to be much improved and I had high hopes for the first season. I have been nothing but disappointed and embarrassed by the team's performance both on and off the field. Over the last two years, we have been regulars on the ESPN bottom 10 list, last in defensive yards and points allowed and set many dubious records such as most points allowed and most losses in a season in the HISTORY of our program.

I like Todd Dodge and I do not advocate his firing, but this program can not afford two more years like we've just witnessed. I have seen very little to make me believe this team is even remotely close to heading in the right direction. I expect significant improvements next season or I will indeed be calling for a change in leadership from the AD down to the water boy.

Just telling a fact. Coach Dodge and his staff give a !@#$##.

You guys praise the players on this forum when they play like crap. QB's LB's . the guy on the main blog gives starting players praise. wake up!!!!! All Starting positions should be open. Gangrene, I played as well. Team is the issue. Get on the team . Players need to be responsible for thier actions.

Question:

If the quarterback takes the snap from under center and turns to hand the ball of to his tailback, how far back in the backfield is the hand-off made?

Assuming the QB doesn't keep the ball like he should, the tailback will be about 3 yards closer, or approximately 2/3 of a second less for the defense to read and plug the hole in the offensive line.

Assuming the QB doesn't keep the ball like he should, the tailback will be about 3 yards closer, or approximately 2/3 of a second less for the defense to read and plug the hole in the offensive line.

And the running back will have forward momentum, not standing like a statue next to the QB 4 yards behind the line.

And the running back will have forward momentum, not standing like a statue next to the QB 4 yards behind the line.

I can tell you that you ever made that decision to hand the ball on those plays didnt understand what you just said, thus they wouldnt have done it.

I think the coaches dropped the ball on the season more than the players did.....

In some regard I believe that not only are the players learning but the coaches are trying to learn right there with them.

This is why I label this the Todd Dodge Coaching Experiment....

I love this thread!

Darrell Dickey was once criticized for failed running plays. Now, it's Dodge.

It really, really is greatness - one considered a dolt who stumbled into four conference titles and the other considered an offensive genius...and yet, both having the same results in the eyes of the keenest of observers of the program.

I'll admit, though, it is rather difficult to design one play where the QB is not in the shotgun. I mean, please...who does that? It's not revolutionary. You couldn't possibly go 79-1 in high school by having your QB do anything other than take every snap from the shutgun.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I love this thread!

Darrell Dickey was once criticized for failed running plays. Now, it's Dodge.

It really, really is greatness - one considered a dolt who stumbled into four conference titles and the other considered an offensive genius...and yet, both having the same results in the eyes of the keenest of observers of the program.

I'll admit, though, it is rather difficult to design one play where the QB is not in the shotgun. I mean, please...who does that? It's not revolutionary. You couldn't possibly go 79-1 in high school by having your QB do anything other than take every snap from the shutgun.

Raise the bar, Lonnie. ;)

If by some miracle we had Saban around here, people would be itching and nitpicking if he wasn't in the title game by year 2.

Eventually that bulb has to go off, right? Others will realize that no coach is absolutely perfect or good enough. They'll come around to see that there will always be something to complain about. When they pull up to that point in the road, they'll have to ask themselves the only question left, and ultimately the only important thing: are we winning?

Edited by greenminer

Smart ass FAIL

I don't think so. It was an honest question.

I would also like to see a play from under center put in for different situations. I justed wanted to see if anyone had the answer since it is roughly the same distance away from the goal line in either instance. True, a TB lined up in a traditional I formation has forward momentum in his favor.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Back to the original theme of the thread....

I see little correlation between coaching and playing at a large institution vs. a smaller one. Division I players were exposed to better coaching but that is usually minor when it comes to their coaching experience.

Some of the best coaches in the history of the game went to "small" colleges. Vince Lombardi (Fordham) and John Madden (Cal Poly-SLO) come immediately to mind. It's even less of a factor for position coaches who can study from the successful coaches. The coaching ranks are replete with coaches that either attended small colleges, or junior colleges before attending a major university and have been successful at higher classed universities.

You can make a case and give examples of many coaching backgrounds. For instance, you could make a case that the best offensive coaches are former quarterbacks and the best defensive coaches are former linebackers

and may even be statistically correct but that certainly doesn't apply to the vast majority.

A much better case can be made that high school head coaches coaches are unsuccessful when they try to jump directly to the college level as a head coach.

Back to the original theme of the thread....

I see little correlation between coaching and playing at a large institution vs. a smaller one. Division I players were exposed to better coaching but that is usually minor when it comes to their coaching experience.

Some of the best coaches in the history of the game went to "small" colleges. Vince Lombardi (Fordham) and John Madden (Cal Poly-SLO) come immediately to mind. It's even less of a factor for position coaches who can study from the successful coaches. The coaching ranks are replete with coaches that either attended small colleges, or junior colleges before attending a major university and have been successful at higher classed universities.

You can make a case and give examples of many coaching backgrounds. For instance, you could make a case that the best offensive coaches are former quarterbacks and the best defensive coaches are former linebackers

and may even be statistically correct but that certainly doesn't apply to the vast majority.

A much better case can be made that high school head coaches coaches are unsuccessful when they try to jump directly to the college level as a head coach.

Coach Fran stated out his head coaching career at Pittsburg (Kansas) St. At the time it was a D-III school.

I don't think so. It was an honest question.

I would also like to see a play from under center put in for different situations. I justed wanted to see if anyone had the answer since it is roughly the same distance away from the goal line in either instance. True, a TB lined up in a traditional I formation has forward momentum in his favor.

But then you could argue that standing still and waiting on the handoff gives the back extra time to scan the line for running lanes, whereas forward momentum would commit the back to a limited are on the line of scrimmage.

I love arguing with myself. Years of living alone.

But then you could argue that standing still and waiting on the handoff gives the back extra time to scan the line for running lanes, whereas forward momentum would commit the back to a limited are on the line of scrimmage.

I love arguing with myself. Years of living alone.

Yep, thought about that also.