Texas Names Successor To Mac Brown

MeanGreen61

This deal is so wheels off. What if Tennessee comes calling with a big

offer, like $5 million per year? Does Muschamp pass on this opportunity?

What if Brown stays another 10 years at Texas, does Muschamp wait?

What happen to the value of Texas favorite son, Applewhite? I bet

Applewhite surely feels warm and fuzzy regarding his future at Texas.

This deal is more like a game of keep away from offers/schools,

that will try to steal Muschamp anyway from Texas.

Sounds like the Dallas Cowboys deal to keep Jason Garrett as OC and

or HC. I am sure Wade Phillips was very happy to know that Jason Garrett

was picked to be his OC before Wade even had the Dallas job, and I bet

Wade is comforted in knowing that when he retires or has his plug pulled

by Jerry Jones, that Jason is there ready to take over at a moments notice.

It may be that Dodge will be fired at UNT soon. I am thinking he is not in their radar screen. At the most, they would probably give him a position coach to start with.

I can see it now, Dodge goes 2 and 22, he resigns to take less money at UT, WR position coach.

Oh, then guess who follows to play WR? Dodge and Dodge back at it again.

Won't happen.

One thing for sure, Dodge going back to UT (other than to visit) is never going to happen. He was booed unmercificy (my dad went there). Why would you ever want to go back to a University that booed you off the field?

Even though my dad and mom went to school in Austin, their fans are ban wagon prima donnas.

Edited by bigntex

TN isn't about to come calling w/ 5 million to a first time head coach. I know they were clamoring for him, but not at that price. Also, this move to grow Brown's successor has been planned for some time. There was an article in Fortune a couple of years ago called Longhorn Inc., which detailed how Tom Hicks was advising Dodds and Coach Brown on running the program like a business (which it is, big time) and that at some point have a plan of succession. As for Applewhite, I do not think he is or was considered. Texas learned their lesson about promoting in house so to speak with McWilliams, and most recently saw what happened with John Blake and OU. IMHO, Blake has never got his due for the Nat. Championship at OU. Of course TX brought McWilliams back from Tech after his one year stint there, but still for such a short time, it was an in house promotion.

TN isn't about to come calling w/ 5 million to a first time head coach. I know they were clamoring for him, but not at that price. Also, this move to grow Brown's successor has been planned for some time. There was an article in Fortune a couple of years ago called Longhorn Inc., which detailed how Tom Hicks was advising Dodds and Coach Brown on running the program like a business (which it is, big time) and that at some point have a plan of succession. As for Applewhite, I do not think he is or was considered. Texas learned their lesson about promoting in house so to speak with McWilliams, and most recently saw what happened with John Blake and OU. IMHO, Blake has never got his due for the Nat. Championship at OU. Of course TX brought McWilliams back from Tech after his one year stint there, but still for such a short time, it was an in house promotion.

Check the Texas Monthly cover story sometime if you want to learn what they did. It's pretty genius and funny to see how "Texas Douche" was an active, well designed business decision that will keep them rolling in money for decades. There is really no reason - barring injuries or scandals (which they don't need) - for them to ever be bad again, and it was all based on the vision and hardwork of a few great leaders.

They saw whoring the logo was the future of revenue way before everyone else did - so hats off to those magnificent bastards.

Check the Texas Monthly cover story sometime if you want to learn what they did. It's pretty genius and funny to see how "Texas Douche" was an active, well designed business decision that will keep them rolling in money for decades. There is really no reason - barring injuries or scandals (which they don't need) - for them to ever be bad again, and it was all based on the vision and hardwork of a few great leaders.

They saw whoring the logo was the future of revenue way before everyone else did - so hats off to those magnificent bastards.

You know, at tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. there is always somebody being interviewed with a Dallas Cowboy something on. That is starting to happen with the UT logo as well.

Agreed, for his recruiting alone. Stoops walked into a talent pool that he has not been able to duplicate since....

Blake may have recruited a lot of talent, but as far as a game-day coach, I still maintain he was the worst big-school coach I have ever watched. It was amazing to watch all of those 4* and 5* recruits look like they couldn't make it on a 3A JV team. When Stoops got there, he recruited Heupel from a JC and he had an amazing defense. That team was 4-7 in 1998 under Blake. Two years later, undefeated and national champs under Stoops. Of course, with their resources, their recruits, and their facilites, I guess that kind of turnaround wasn't as miraculous as it would be at a school with an awful stadium, little support, and limited resources... :D

Guys, if we were to get a new head coach anytime soon, don't you think we need somebody who has had head coaching experience at this level? Applewhite has great potential, but wasn't that what we counted on with Dodge? Yes, he is extremely smart, but we need to do something different the next time. Also, I do not think he would give our program a minute's consideration, sorry. Our last 3 head coaches, including Dodge, were in the college head coaching capacity for the first time. Unless Dodge does a 360, none of them will have made a big enough mark to move to a bigger and better job. I think experience is what is needed the next time.

Guys, if we were to get a new head coach anytime soon, don't you think we need somebody who has had head coaching experience at this level?

Just someone with skins on the wall as an assistant would work for me.