What Do I Want To See In The Last Two Games?

eulessismore

Since we have so little to gain by winning the last two games (acknowledging how great an unlikelyhood that is), I would like to see the following:

1. Give the departing seniors who have played little or none this year some meaningful playing time. It could be meaningful in that they could be given one last chance to show their stuff, or it could be meaningful that they could be given the chance to use some different offensive looks (power i?, wildcat?, trick plays used while the game is still in play)?), that were more in vogue in the old regime, or just haven't been tried yet. If nothing else, maybe it would surprise our opponents enough that someone could break a long one while their defense is thinking "WTF?".

2. Give the young guys who haven't played much, not the ones who still have a redshirt or grayshirt to preserve), a chance to show what they can do in an actual game situation. For instance, after Meager has had a chance at QB, give Tune a shot. What the heck.

Anything but the status quo of schemes and players, I guess.

Since we have so little to gain by winning the last two games (acknowledging how great an unlikelyhood that is), I would like to see the following:

1. Give the departing seniors who have played little or none this year some meaningful playing time. It could be meaningful in that they could be given one last chance to show their stuff, or it could be meaningful that they could be given the chance to use some different offensive looks (power i?, wildcat?, trick plays used while the game is still in play)?), that were more in vogue in the old regime, or just haven't been tried yet. If nothing else, maybe it would surprise our opponents enough that someone could break a long one while their defense is thinking "WTF?".

2. Give the young guys who haven't played much, not the ones who still have a redshirt or grayshirt to preserve), a chance to show what they can do in an actual game situation. For instance, after Meager has had a chance at QB, give Tune a shot. What the heck.

Anything but the status quo of schemes and players, I guess.

Excellent point!

What are you suggesting sir? Adaptation and change to something that has proven time and time again not to work? Playing time for the recruits of the devil himself? Recognition to players that have stuck it out and won't be around to see improvement? You heretic!

I didn't get to watch the game yesterday, so what I want to know is which UNT came to the game? The team that rolls over after the first eight minutes or the team that gritted it out for the full sixty? Right now, that's more important to me than anything.

Davenport, Ryan

Dawson, Germaine

Henderson, Keronna

Johnson, Roderick

Mahan, Colt

Miller, Joseph

Nurudeen, Latif

Phillips, Matt

Rose, Chad

Smith, Isiah

Spencer, Truman

Stickler, Brock

Thomas, Isaac

Although he's not been allowed to have an on the field "impact" this year, I'm gonna miss the guy you left off of that list. Still crossing my fingers for senior night.

Davenport, Ryan

Dawson, Germaine

Henderson, Keronna

Johnson, Roderick

Mahan, Colt

Miller, Joseph

Nurudeen, Latif

Phillips, Matt

Rose, Chad

Smith, Isiah

Spencer, Truman

Stickler, Brock

Thomas, Isaac

Let the healthy Juniors and Seniors play both ways (and ST's), and I don't think we would be any worse off at all than we are now. Sure hope Dodge knows what he's doing with his "play my recruits" strategy. Not making a whole lot of sense to me, but I'm still giving him until the middle of next season before I start really attacking the guy's strategy. Yesterday was just plain ugly once again.

I disagree on giving seniors extended playing time, this is still a college football program. It is not the time to throw away a chance to build for the future in the last two games. I have no idea way some senior players have not been used more. Rose was good enough to start his freshman and sophomore years, but has played very little this year. I think Meager may have have had a better year than Vizza at quarterback this season. However, now is the time to see who is going to help the next year and those after. I would definitely look, at those younger players that may contribute heavily in the future. We saw great promise from Hamilton and Russo in the last game and there may be other players that just need a chance. As an aside I wonder why Hamilton is not tried as a wide receiver, he would add much needed speed and the running back position with Dunbar, Montgomery and Mosley returning seems in much better shape than wide receiver.

I also wonder if throwing someone like Meager into a game, when he has not had a snap all year would really be fair. Its seemed to me that playing little used seniors at this point would almost be insulting to them. My hats off to the seniors that have survived in my view some of the worst coaching in NT history. DD's last two or three years when he clearly had drove the program into the ground and the last two year with a new coaching staff that obviously was not ready.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm changing my tune slightly on the finish. I like both euliss and Grand's thoughts, although seemingly contradictory.

Against Middle I would try to sustain 60 minutes of intense play with those that I plan to use next year with the exception of Fitz (let him add to his record) and, of course, Spencer. Obviously, do not burn any redshirts but give some that have been underused a series or two.

Arky State is Senior Day. I would start and play the seniors as much as possible. There are two or three awkward situations. While I'd really like to see Meager play the whole game, Matt Phillips deserves a few snaps. Matt may not have the speed that is needed for this offense but he has contributed for four years and deserves some PT in his final game. Miller's injury might not allow him more than a few plays. Ditto for Ryan Davenport.

What I really want to test is the coaches; moreso than the players. In both games adjust offenses and defenses to take advantage of the other team's weaknesses. Give some different looks if the usual is not successful [and why would it be at this late date?].

I do not see a coaching change until next season. If we start that by being non-competitive and see little or no signs of improvement then I have no confidence that the situation would ever be improved.

Winning is a dream so I am going to say is to give seniors all the playing time that is possible and try to send them off on a positive note. Remember that one day we will want these guys associated with this university in the future. Other than that I just hope RV comes to the realization in these final two games that Dodge needs to get the boot.