Racist Longhorn

dallasite21

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Natalie Maines thinks this is WAAAAAAYYYY overblown.

I really did chuckle out loud at that.

However, it is comparing "I didn't vote for" with "Get a gun". It's also comparing a music group who represent only themselves with a player who represents his team and his university. Natalie Maines and company risked damage to the Dixie Chicks brand. If they did damage to that brand, it didn't matter to anyone but the members who caused that damage.

You let something like this go, especially in this internet age when everything goes public faster than the speed of light, and it does damage to a brand that is a hell of a lot bigger than one football player.

For another comparison, you sometimes see the news stories of the school teachers who get fired for posting pictures of themselves spread eagle on the bow of a boat with a beer in hand, wearing a bikini, and in the company of an unknown man. Pretty much the same thing, but I would wager that many on this board would agree that school teacher had a responsibility to keep her private life more private even though she had full rights to freedom of speech.

Really, if you think about it, freedom of speech limits what repercussion you suffer from the GOVERNMENT. It has no such bearing on repercussions suffered from private entities.

Could be way overblown, but I know very little about the guy other than what the media put out. It is obviously a difficult subject. For example, when you hear a black man referring to a white man as a "white boy," would it be as bothersome as a white man referring to a black man as a "black boy?" Yes, I know my history, but in this day and age you just have to wonder.

However, it is comparing "I didn't vote for" with "Get a gun". It's also comparing a music group who represent only themselves with a player who represents his team and his university.

It was also... just a joke. Of course, I hope/realize you know that. My interest in having a serious discussion is slightly above negative 50%, so I'll bow out.

Couldn't we instead have a discussion about whether or not a feasible form of eugenics could have spared us from ever having to hear a single Creed song? Maybe I'll work on that in the non-UNT sports forum... where this belongs.

And yes, her father is a hell of a pedal steel player and a decent producer as well. I'd love to work with him on anything.

I really did chuckle out loud at that.

However, it is comparing "I didn't vote for" with "Get a gun". It's also comparing a music group who represent only themselves with a player who represents his team and his university. Natalie Maines and company risked damage to the Dixie Chicks brand. If they did damage to that brand, it didn't matter to anyone but the members who caused that damage.

You let something like this go, especially in this internet age when everything goes public faster than the speed of light, and it does damage to a brand that is a hell of a lot bigger than one football player.

For another comparison, you sometimes see the news stories of the school teachers who get fired for posting pictures of themselves spread eagle on the bow of a boat with a beer in hand, wearing a bikini, and in the company of an unknown man. Pretty much the same thing, but I would wager that many on this board would agree that school teacher had a responsibility to keep her private life more private even though she had full rights to freedom of speech.

Really, if you think about it, freedom of speech limits what repercussion you suffer from the GOVERNMENT. It has no such bearing on repercussions suffered from private entities.

Well, I do consider UT (and UNT as well) as government entities. However, I don't think free speech protects one's rights as an employee from being fired, or a student-athlete from being removed from a team. I see it as keeping you from being thrown in jail in most cases. The Secret Service will disagree as to whether it keeps you out of jail in all cases. I consider myself to be an advocate of civil liberties as guaranteed by our Bill of Rights. I just don't see those rights as being something that protects you from any consequences of exercising them, but rather giving you the basis for defending yourself against the consequences of government actions if you feel your rights have been violated.

If i had a quarter for every ignorant statement i've seen on facebook since the election results were in (from both sides), I could build the new stadium myself. I honestly beleive this was blown out of proportion. Yea it was racist, but people also need to remember that it was a joke. Im sure 95 percent of his teammates know what kind of person this guy is and didnt even think anything of it.

Edited by NTerock

If i had a quarter for every ignorant statement i've seen on facebook since the election results were in (from both sides), I could build the new stadium myself. I honestly beleive this was blown out of proportion. Yea it was racist, but people also need to remember that it was a joke. Im sure 95 percent of his teammates know what kind of person this guy is and didnt even think anything of it.

Maybe he and Dominique Green could meet up somewhere and just get a bong.

Tell me how apologizing somehow cleans the slate. He was basically saying "I'm sorry I'm a racist."

TWO threads on this - with a eulesseagle apperance - and no stormfront or Southpark wheel of fortune references?

You guys suck.

This is just as bad as Josh Howard apologizing for being an idiot but not loving his country. That is why I no longer listen or watch or read about the Mavericks.

Color of the skin does not eliminate racisim.

One good reason for not wanting him is he has already burned his red shirt and after sitting out one season would be hear one year. He can only go to a FCS school.

Wow people!! Amazing how many "perfect" UNT people/fans frequent this forum. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but look around at the walls of your house. They just look like brick. Although I have not seen your home, I feel safe in saying that you live in a "glass" house. Just like me and all 300+ million Americans in this Country. So none of you condemning/judging Burnette have EVER and I mean EVER had a racial thought, made a comment or laughed at hearing one? Give me a break people. Your reaction and comments are just as offensive as his. Please do not embarrass yourselves any further and ZIP IT.

Wow people!! Amazing how many "perfect" UNT people/fans frequent this forum. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but look around at the walls of your house. They just look like brick. Although I have not seen your home, I feel safe in saying that you live in a "glass" house. Just like me and all 300+ million Americans in this Country. So none of you condemning/judging Burnette have EVER and I mean EVER had a racial thought, made a comment or laughed at hearing one? Give me a break people. Your reaction and comments are just as offensive as his. Please do not embarrass yourselves any further and ZIP IT.

I just love it. You're about as amusing, and wrongheaded, as the people I put in jail who cry all the way there about how "there are other criminals out there, why don't you arrest them?" This isn't about everyone on this message board. This isn't about society at large. It's about this kid who placed blatantly racist speech on his facebook page. It is because of this nation's willingness to forego asking for personal responsibility and to try to look at things in terms of a drastically skewed "bigger picture" that we have half the problems we do today. But hey, why should I care, as long as we continue to tell people that a simple apology...and not acting correctly in the first place...is all it takes to make things right then I will never be out of a job.

I just love it. You're about as amusing, and wrongheaded, as the people I put in jail who cry all the way there about how "there are other criminals out there, why don't you arrest them?" This isn't about everyone on this message board. This isn't about society at large. It's about this kid who placed blatantly racist speech on his facebook page. It is because of this nation's willingness to forego asking for personal responsibility and to try to look at things in terms of a drastically skewed "bigger picture" that we have half the problems we do today. But hey, why should I care, as long as we continue to tell people that a simple apology...and not acting correctly in the first place...is all it takes to make things right then I will never be out of a job.

So no one can change, or deserves a second chance????

So no one can change, or deserves a second chance????

I see you missed my point entirely. Of course second chances should exist AFTER you have accepted responsibility...trying to write off dispicable actions in light of what other people have or might have done only serves to send the message that it is "par for the course" or "kids will be kids."

I would accept a kid who has apologized and is ready to accept his consequences. It sounded to me that he was not trying to spin his actions but that he was ready to be accountable. Many of us (including our politicos) should be this humble. I would be excited if Dodge were to pay this kid a visit. Be careful to throw stones to make yourself look politically correct on this. Blind faith is a scary thing.

Thank you for your logic! This kid apologized! He knows it was a big error of judgment and he has made amends. Let me get this straight. A 45 year old president can have sex with an intern in the oval office and apologize to Americans and keep his job and go down as one of America's great presidents but one 19-20 year old young man can't have an error in judgment and overcome that mistake! This isn't even the same country that I know and love. Political correctness and the thought police are destroying this nation....AND I AM A MODERATE.

Thank you for your logic! This kid apologized! He knows it was a big error of judgment and he has made amends. Let me get this straight. A 45 year old president can have sex with an intern in the oval office and apologize to Americans and keep his job and go down as one of America's great presidents but one 19-20 year old young man can't have an error in judgment and overcome that mistake! This isn't even the same country that I know and love. Political correctness and the thought police are destroying this nation....AND I AM A MODERATE.

Oh, and I forgot. Dodge needs to fly down and see this kid and his parents and get him on this team!

I see you missed my point entirely. Of course second chances should exist AFTER you have accepted responsibility...trying to write off dispicable actions in light of what other people have or might have done only serves to send the message that it is "par for the course" or "kids will be kids."

Point well taken

Point well taken

My point is that the kid has accepted responsibility, and there would be nothing wrong with Dodge going to visit him and making him a part of the Mean Green. To say (as some have) that the kid should never be given the opportunity to be a part of a team because he made a dumb comment is flat ridiculous...and mind numbing frankly.

My point is that the kid has accepted responsibility, and there would be nothing wrong with Dodge going to visit him and making him a part of the Mean Green. To say (as some have) that the kid should never be given the opportunity to be a part of a team because he made a dumb comment is flat ridiculous...and mind numbing frankly.

Honestly, when was the last time that dumb decisions have served us well? I'm taking about the same attitude towards transfers that I do towards recruits out of the high school ranks; get the best ones you can, and don't get any with baggage that we know of. And, especially with transfers, fill existing needs. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we need defensive and special teams standouts more than backup centers who would put UNT under national (and negative) media scrutiny as soon as Dodge talked to them?

As far as the justice of the whole thing, as far as I know, the kid hasn't lost his scholarship yet. Maybe if we're going to hold a pity party for a backup center, we could find a center on the roster (who has played little or not at all this year I know we have at least one, Chad Rose), and call for them to get some playing time before the year is out. As far as walk on centers who haven't had a chance yet, don't we have one from Southlake Carroll a few here have spoken well of. Besides, who ever said a kid has a right to play football? If they've been signed to a letter of commitment, I think the school should honor the scholarship, but there are a lot of players on many, if not most, college football teams who never really play much. If North Texas continues with Todd Dodge as its head coach, he'll continue to put the players on the field based on his judgment.

Those family and friends of UNT players not getting much if any playing time, who are now complaining about that may have reason to complain. Why this big outpouring of sympathy for a kid we would have never known about if he hadn't gotten national front page sports news for, as you said, "a dumb comment". Maybe if you could talk about his talents and how much of a need he would fill, I would think you're approaching this from the viewpoint of what's good for North Texas, rather than what's good for an instant Internet celebrity, whose judgment, if not his intentions, seem like a problem to me. Why do we need players only well known for "dumb comments"?

Very good point/analogy grad88. Clinton really lowered the bar on morals in this country. And he kept his job and even came out of it with glowing accolades. Clinton had more women under his desk than in his Cabinet. Came up with that one myself.