I Hate This Board

shaft

Yeah, I'm glad the stadium voted passed, but lets be honest. Dodge is the worst coach in school history. He will never coach a game in that stadium.

Dodge owns the worst start in school history and the school's worst losses. We obviously have a student body that cares about football, so its time to get coach that can win.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm glad the stadium voted passed, but lets be honest. Dodge is the worst coach in school history. He will never coach a game in that stadium.

Dodge owns the worst start in school history and the school's worst losses. We obviously have a student body that cares about football, so its time to get coach that can win.

did someone have a bad day?

Lighten up Francis.

Someone sounds awfully butthurt. You tell me how we're gonna fire Dodge mid-season and then fund his buyout AND fund hiring a new coach. Oh, what's that? Silence. Okay, so wait until end of the year, kick Dodge out and pay for his buyout. Oh, I forgot NT has a strained athletics budget and probably can't fund that. I figure you'll be able to pay the buyout, right? Maybe even find a replacement coach, too. Oh, you can't.

Sounds like a case of, "you need to shut up and wait".

Things are not going well on the field right now at all... worst I've ever seen. I STILL believe you should give a coaching staff 2 years before you start looking at game results. This is the last season with training wheels...or no expectations. Next year, I believe things should count. I will only entertain firing arguements after bad results end of next season. until then, I won't even listen to fire the coach talk.

and yes, the stadium momentum should be taken into consideration when pondering perception of our football program's direction... without the dodge buzz that began last year, this vote wouldn't have happened. that buzz may be gone now... but we still have to wait and see if this stadium momentum can help dodge in any way. IN THE LONG RUN, if dodge leave's here after next season and did nothing but lose...but leaves a stadium progress behind. his tenure is STILL A SUCCESS.... sounds weird, but he would be leaving the program in better shape than he left it.

SHAFT....SAD comments...so very sad. No one here is enjoying the season so far, but Dodge will get this thing turned around. I hope you will print a "retraction" to your comments when you see that happen. And, come on...try to have a better day. It's a lot more fun to see the positives than the negatives.

GO MEAN GREEN...See you at Fouts Saturday!

Things are not going well on the field right now at all... worst I've ever seen. I STILL believe you should give a coaching staff 2 years before you start looking at game results. This is the last season with training wheels...or no expectations. Next year, I believe things should count. I will only entertain firing arguements after bad results end of next season. until then, I won't even listen to fire the coach talk.

Not disagreeing with you, but what are your expectations for next year? What is the sufficient win total needed to not make a change? I am not saying we need to make a change at this point, but the way this team is playing right now, if we go 0-12, I am not sure we will be able to get near .500 next year.

Tasty, one of the best lines I have read in a long long time.

As for Shaft, I agree with your statements but presenting this on a board of NT kool aid drinking homers is not the best idea. I personally agree that this 0-7 record is so bad that I do not even get pissed when they play poorly anymore...I have just learned to laugh it off and take it as a comedy night. But at the very very most I am willing to give Dodge one more year to see if there is any progress and if next year we are still pretty bad then Dodge will need to be fired right after the season. I think it is it pretty clear that TD won't get the boot this year so I will try not to bother bringing that up tho it is hard after every game.

Is it? No one is "ignoring" the negatives...just check out the board if you think they are...including me, but it is much more foolish to be calling for Dodge's head at this point than finding reasons to be hopeful and positive. If anyone thought UNT was going to be in the running for a SBC crown at this stage or even posting winning seasons I want to drink and smoke some of what they were drinking and smoking. Yep, I sure thought UNT would be winning more games at this point and am very disappointed that they are not...that has to change and change fairly quickly. But, I choose to believe that Dodge will get it done. You are free to believe whatever you wish to belive......

Just, make sure you are in your seats for the game Saturday. This team and this program needs our support. I, for one, will provide all of that I can. AND, I will choose to stay very positive in my support!

GO UNT...GO MEAN GREEN...SEE YOU AT FOUTS SATURDAY!!!!!

I hope that Dodge sees the light (0-7, maybe 0-12 :blink: ) and makes wholesale changes to his staff. This on the job training of high school assistant coaches is

bullsh!t, plain and simple. Think about it- OJT at our expense. The seasons end cannot get here fast enough.

Edited by DeepGreen

If anyone thought UNT was going to be in the running for a SBC crown at this stage or even posting winning seasons I want to drink and smoke some of what they were drinking and smoking.

No one was expecting an SBC championship but no one expected them not to compete in ANY game thus far and get BLOWN OUT every single game. Big difference.

YEP, you are correct, sir...and the "high school" assistant comments, while a bit harsh in the choice of language used, is also correct. The positive I see is that Dodge has shown he will do something about that...I do, however, hope we can hang on to DeLoach for next season...UNT needs his experience and expertise so very much. Coach Dodge...are you listening?????

Any other fan base would be foaming at the mouth, and I have not seen real venom directed at Coach Dodge, and stating that does not mean I think there should or should not be. Just because there has not been does not mean we are a happy bunch, and are not frustrated with this season. I saw another post that said we should not use the lack of a stadium/facilities as an excuse because we have won with what we had before. Yes, I agree with that to a certain extent, but things have changed in big way since we were winning without it. Now, we are actually starting a new stadium project and do have it as a recruiting tool. Also, the difference now is that the lack of a first class stadium has been made out to be one, if not the biggest reason this program is not perceived as a winner, and has difficulty recruiting top players to make it a consistent winner. The AD has said this, Dr. B and Dr. Pohl both said as much (athletics being a window to the university, etc0, the alumni have said so, a majority of voting students agreed recently, and Todd Dodge has stated it quite a few times in a public manner.

Please bear with me. Now, go back to December of 2006, and we hired a coach to build a program to get help get us to a new stadium. We as a program communicated, despite the fact that we had won 4 conference championships, the program needed to be rebuilt to accomplish this and we handed the keys to him. Now, and in a lot of pain, we are only in year two. If we were to fire Coach Dodge at the end of the season, it would be a major set back to this program. It would not hurt his status at this point, I assure you. (I think it would take 4 years to really affect his reputation if he were not successful, just my uneducated guess). Casual fans and people associated with recruiting will perceive that we promised a stadium to him (maybe the word "promise" was not used, but he was told in some way we would build it), and we wanted him to build our program. Then, after two years, we let him go?

I think we have lost a lot momentum in recruiting that we had gained with Coach Dodge's hiring, and hope with the new stadium project it will come back. I would think a lot of high school coaches in the state are glad to see Coach Dodge take some licks, as he certainly doled them out for several years at Southlake. Those other coaches got tired of him winning, and his program being the measuring stick. But, deep down, they want Coach Dodge, Art Briles, and Todd Graham to make it on the college level so that they can have the opportunity to move up as well. The success of these gentlemen only helps to create more opportunity for coaches at the high school level.. So my final thought, at this point is that if we fire Dodge, you can get bet those high school coaches are going to back him, and make it difficult for a new coach to recruit at a lot of the schools in Texas. They might not slam us to a recruit, but you can bet they will not be encouraging them to come here.

By position, Coach Dodge opens himself up to criticism by us and we should never ever accept losing, even if he had only coached one game here. But, we made this bed for now, and unfortunately we have to lay here for a little while.

I hope that Dodge sees the light (0-7, maybe 0-12 :blink: ) and makes wholesale changes to his staff. This on the job training of high school assistant coaches is

bullsh!t, plain and simple. Think about it- OJT at our expense. The seasons end cannot get here fast enough.

I think you may very well be disappointed. Right now the only change MAY be at the ST position.

And that is a big MAYBE.

Dodge: On the job training. Would somebody please explain why this is an issue? I mean, we are talking about somebody who was a starting quarterback at the University of Texas, coached here as an assistant in '92, and coached in the highest class of Texas high school football (and won on a very consistent basis). I would understand this better if he had started quarterback at West Texas A&M, not coached any college, and was the head coach in Muleshoe. Maybe I could have bought into it half way through last season, but not now.

YEP, you are correct, sir...and the "high school" assistant comments, while a bit harsh in the choice of language used, is also correct. The positive I see is that Dodge has shown he will do something about that...I do, however, hope we can hang on to DeLoach for next season...UNT needs his experience and expertise so very much. Coach Dodge...are you listening?????

KRAM1, some of our coaches only had high school coaching experience when they came on board last year. That decision by Dodge has proved to be "suspect". Not trying to be harsh, just factual.

I think everyone means the assistants, not Dodge himself.

I don't know though, after nearly every game this season, Dodge has made a comment somewhere in the ballpark of "I don't know why things are not working." That tells me he is pretty much "On the job training" himself. I might add, when you are down 4 touchdowns and you are kicking field goals, you are still learning.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999