Stadium Article

Stan R

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and:

Villarreal said ground should be broken in summer 2009 and that construction will take an estimated 18 months. If the plan moves forward, as it is contingent on fundraising, he said he expects the stadium to be open by the time football season starts in fall 2011.

WHOOPS!!! So much for 2010...

Look at the very bright side...we are now getting info on donation commitments and actual dates for such things as "ground breaking". With that type of good news, it does not bother me at all that the date looks like 2011 and not 2010. Earlier would be better, of course, and we may still see "push backs" in the timeline, but the project is "on", it has been announced and more and more info is being shared publicly. GREAT!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!

I'm glad they mentioned the facebook numbers of lopsided FOR vs. AGAINST. However with the NT daily, all the negative opinions will start coming out of the woodwork. I already see one in the comments. We need to push forward the positive aspects of this on their site because I'm sure many many students read this.

If we're going to ask North Texas Students to help pay for our new stadium, I think each of us need to pay as well. Those of us that attend NT home games will be the big winners here. Along with a more recognized degree for our graduates. But we need to make contributions similar to the $120. per semester we're asking future NT students to make.

GO MEAN GREEN

"My roommate is a music major, and she is always complaining about how the practice rooms are in such bad shape," Sears said. "I think that considering we're a music school, things like that should be priorities."

When the hell did we become "The Music School of North Texas"

Nitwit!!!

Also when was the last time we only played 3-4 home games in a year??

Edited by untbowler

If we're going to ask North Texas Students to help pay for our new stadium, I think each of us need to pay as well. Those of us that attend NT home games will be the big winners here. Along with a more recognized degree for our graduates. But we need to make contributions similar to the $120. per semester we're asking future NT students to make.

GO MEAN GREEN

We do make contributions, it's called Mean Green Club membership. Besides, we all paid athletic fees when we were in school too. The Daily article has a few holes in it. Jerry Owens story? How about Jesse Owens.

"Ryan Cubbage, an emergency administration and planning junior, said he would oppose an increased student fee based on attendance at football games, adding that the 16,000-seat Fouts Field stadium often does not fill up to capacity."

I guess Ryan wasn't among the 23,000 at Fouts against Tulsa. And we still had 7,000 seats available. <_<

Never let the facts get in the way of a sensationalism NT Daily article.

We do make contributions, it's called Mean Green Club membership. Besides, we all paid athletic fees when we were in school too.

I guess Ryan wasn't among the 23,000 at Fouts against Tulsa. And we still had 7,000 seats available. <_<

Agree NT80.

I read a post just after the Tulsa game that the student attendance was in the relm of just over 5000. Add a generous 2000 for Tulsa fans and you are up to 7000 or so. Which leaves 15,000 as alumni and fans. As much as the alumni section gets smacked around for their game-time exhuberence and "lack of support", seems to me we're pulling our fair share.

"My roommate is a music major, and she is always complaining about how the practice rooms are in such bad shape," Sears said. "I think that considering we're a music school, things like that should be priorities."

If given a choice, I'd bet she'd rather practice in those music rooms rather than in Fouts.

NT80-I see it differently. I see the Mean Green Club membership as maintenance. The day to day running of the Athletic Dept. Scholarships, salaries, stamps, etc. I see the stadium as a separate item. Something that some day, could be a retired debt. If you are making a Mean Green Club donation, I thank you. We need more like you. However, the stadium building project needs you as well. We can't fund the stadium out of Mean Green money. If we did, the Athletic Dept. couldn't operate at the level it's running now. So write three checks. One with Mean Green in the memo. One with season tickets in the memo. And a third with your stadium contribution. And we don't have to wait on the big donors to step up. It's up to us.

Owl...the other white meat.

GO MEAN GREEN

NT80-I see it differently. I see the Mean Green Club membership as maintenance. The day to day running of the Athletic Dept. Scholarships, salaries, stamps, etc. I see the stadium as a separate item. Something that some day, could be a retired debt. If you are making a Mean Green Club donation, I thank you. We need more like you. However, the stadium building project needs you as well. We can't fund the stadium out of Mean Green money. If we did, the Athletic Dept. couldn't operate at the level it's running now. So write three checks. One with Mean Green in the memo. One with season tickets in the memo. And a third with your stadium contribution. And we don't have to wait on the big donors to step up. It's up to us.

Owl...the other white meat.

GO MEAN GREEN

I don't know if it will matter if the students vote against it, unless all the alumni donate to the project. I don't see how that would happen, I am A MGC member, season ticket holder, exes member and I will do what I can to support this thing, for the record.

Edited by filmerj

GO MEAN GREEN

I've offered before and will do so again...I'm up for a fundraiser. Joint effort between art alums/students and Athletics, auction off the art, proceeds benefit the stadium. Art Conspiracy raised something like 40 grand at their last annual show. I bet with the right Exes publicity, we could easily double that every semester. We have more well-known alum artists in DFW than I, and my average price is $400-650 now, so imagine what you could get from some of the better known ones. 40-50 artists, 1-3 pieces each shouldn't be hard to put together.

It doesn't seem right to vote in favor of a fee I won't have to pay when those who will pay it don't have a voice.

I honestly don't have any interest in ever returning to my high school, least of all to "take pride in" its buildings, and I'm fairly certain I won't feel differently about NT. Buildings I won't ever use or benefit from don't give me any warm, fuzzy feelings. The professors and students are the ones who gave my experience meaning. College is only a stepping stone to bigger and better things; it baffles me how people can make it their life.

I didn't choose this school for its athletics program, so I can say I'm disappointed with what we have, and I'm sure thousands feel similarly.

What a sad commentary. This may be the exact reason NT doesn't have the support we all want. Where are these people locked up??? Man, I hope thousands don't feel this way but I am afraid to think it a possibility. I left NT 18 years ago and still love to go to campus and look around. Maybe my life is just much better. I hope the students "for" can get out the correct facts and sway a few of the poor miguided souls.

GO MEAN GREEN

I've heard this argument, and, though I don't think you meant it to be taken this way, it still drives me crazy. A student will pay 800 bucks over the course of their four years of education. As an alumnus and donor, I will give 2,000 over the same period of time, excluding the costs for season tickets or extra money I'll donate if I am personally asked to help with a new stadium. And my commitment is open-ended.

I recognize that it is a sacrifice we're asking students to make, but I don't think that in any way means I should be giving MORE when I'm already donating three times as much as they are.

I've heard this argument, and, though I don't think you meant it to be taken this way, it still drives me crazy. A student will pay 800 bucks over the course of their four years of education. As an alumnus and donor, I will give 2,000 over the same period of time, excluding the costs for season tickets or extra money I'll donate if I am personally asked to help with a new stadium. And my commitment is open-ended.

I recognize that it is a sacrifice we're asking students to make, but I don't think that in any way means I should be giving MORE when I'm already donating three times as much as they are.

Good point!

To add, because some forget when forming arguments, as alumni we have already paid our fair share of tuition and fees while attending NT (twice for some of us)...

If you're already making contributons to the Mean Green Club, and already buying season tickets, Thank you. Your type of fan is what makes the Athletic Dept work. But we're talking about three different things here.

First, your season tickets. Tickets are not a contributiion. You are buying entertainment. That's why tickets are not tax decuctible. You're getting something, hopefully, for your entertainment dollar.

Next, your Mean Green Club donation is what makes the department run. Without these dollars, nobody coaches, travels, or answers the phone.

The stadium is a new expense that we want to create. And I see it as a needed expense. But it is it's own expense. Not to be taken out of tickets or athletic department operations, but it's own line item.

Again, if you're already making Mean Green contributions and already buying season tickets, thanks. We need about 100,000 more like you.

And if you're waiting to be asked to contribute to the new stadium, well, I'm asking. Don't wait until some paid athletic staff member gets down to your name. You know what's needed. Step us and help make this stadium project a reality.

GO MEAN GREEN

Next, your Mean Green Club donation is what makes the department run. Without these dollars, nobody coaches, travels, or answers the phone.

The stadium is a new expense that we want to create. And I see it as a needed expense. But it is it's own expense. Not to be taken out of tickets or athletic department operations, but it's own line item.

the funds in the Mean Green Club, appx'ly 2,000,000, is for ships for all sports that is the only place that that money can go as far as what I have been told.

"Ryan Cubbage, an emergency administration and planning junior, said he would oppose an increased student fee based on attendance at football games, adding that the 16,000-seat Fouts Field stadium often does not fill up to capacity."

DO people like editors NEVER read things like this before they print them? 16,000? Seriously? This is the best we can do? Amazing. Take the endzone seating off and we still have more than 16,000. What a JOKE.