I-aa Teams On The Schedule...

Green Buckeye

With NT's record the past three seasons, I felt like throwing this out there. Is it time to bring in Texas State, SFA or another regional I-AA (FCS) team for a game at Fouts? I know there's a few of you out there who are going to thing this is far below NT, despite going 3-9, 2-10, and now about to go 0-3. Face it, folks. The Mean Green needs a victory over somebody and it's not going to come from playing a money game (as much as we would like it to happen) against a BCS team. Just to see what hte general consensus is, should RV call his counterpart at a I-AA school so NT can have a win in September for once?

Edited by Green Buckeye

SMUt and TCU did it yesterday, and I think it makes them look foolish. If I was one of their alumni I would question their "dumbing down" the schedule. Even if we go 0 - 12, I would rather forego playing 1-AA teams. I oppose lowering standards just to engender a false sense of success...others just snicker anyway and say "But WHO did you play?". Let's resolve to raise the standard of our team's play to where we can win playing a 1-A schedule. That is the way to get respect...earn it.

SMUt and TCU did it yesterday, and I think it makes them look foolish. If I was one of their alumni I would question their "dumbing down" the schedule. Even if we go 0 - 12, I would rather forego playing 1-AA teams. I oppose lowering standards just to engender a false sense of success...others just snicker anyway and say "But WHO did you play?". Let's resolve to raise the standard of our team's play to where we can win playing a 1-A schedule. That is the way to get respect...earn it.

Foolish? really? Do you want me list the schools that schedule I-AAs? It's a who's who of college football.

Nothing wrong with scheduling I-AAs. It blows my mind that just about every big time football program in america schedules below themselves but we at UNT are always supposed to schedule above us.

Acknowledge what your point is, meanrob. Many, if not most, of those programs have long winning traditions against top-shelf competition and don't have to prove anything to anyone. I think their fans go along with "tuneup" games and accept that/have been sold that. We haven't been there yet and don't fit that description. If we aspire to be a respectable, recognized program we need to do it against credible competition.

Not sure why we have to prove anything. We have to win ballgames, period.

NT needs wins. Playing "lower class" teams, you always run a risk of losing. To those guys, any game against a I-A team is a big deal. Ohio U. went into Columbus yesterday and almost caught my beloved Buckeyes asleep at the wheel before THEIR big game. You ALWAYS risk losing, no matter who you play. Oregon absolutely manhandled the Pac-10 last year until Dennis Dixon got hurt in the 1st half against Arizona. They lost the game and slid down the polls in the following weeks.

I think for UNT there's more than enough reason to justify scheduling a I-AA team for the home opener. The students go to Fouts expecting to lose and most disappear by halftime. Beating ANYONE would boost attendance in the 2nd half AND the 2nd home game of the season.

I was glad to see we're scheduling teams like Ball State, Ohio and Army next year. Those are the teams we need to play and possibly beat to build a record that gets respect. Our conference-mates are doing a great job of raising the Sun Belt profile this year, adding to the attention. We're not ready to go toe-to-toe with OU, UT, LSU, K-State, ad nauseum, but let's not overcorrect and load up with the maximum 1-AA opponents allowed. Our OOC schedule needs to be from CUSA, the MAC, the WAC, etc.

Before K-State, I thought we could play with Tulsa; we now obviously have to work to get up to their level.

Edited by EagleMBA

Don't forget...there is no such thing as I-AA anymore. As to scheduling division II teams, we do not need to dip that low. A strong FCS team who bring fans might be OK.

I'm not advocating loading up on weak opponents, merely giving the fans a show at the home opener like a lot of other D-1a schools do. A strong, REGIONAL I-AA (FCS) team would be great. A lot of students have friends at Texas State, SFA, etc. and may show up.

Texas Tech who plans to be a contender for the Big 12 South title just played Eastern Washington, an FCS team that is a member of the Big Sky Conference. Teams form all of the auto-qualifier conferences play them with out any apologies. We can do that as well.

That's right. The only real reason not to do it is if your program is on the verge of being a BCS crasher. Boise St and Hawaii probably wouldn't have gotten in if they'd scheduled a FCS team. If, on the other hand, you're shooting for a December bowl game, any bowl game at all, it won't hurt. In fact, doesn't one FCS victory per year count towards bowl eligibility?

Texas Tech who plans to be a contender for the Big 12 South title just played Eastern Washington, an FCS team that is a member of the Big Sky Conference. Teams form all of the auto-qualifier conferences play them with out any apologies. We can do that as well.

If I remember correctly, Tech has 3 FCS teams on their schedule this year.

I'm not advocating loading up on weak opponents, merely giving the fans a show at the home opener like a lot of other D-1a schools do. A strong, REGIONAL I-AA (FCS) team would be great. A lot of students have friends at Texas State, SFA, etc. and may show up.

I was at the Texas State / SMU game yesterday, and we ended up having to get more Tickets from SMU because we sold out 4 or 5 sections. Teams from the Southland are more likely to travel to Fouts than some of your conference opponents in Florida.

I would like to see us schedule Texas State - the bobcats would bring a solid group up from San Marcos. Why not go after ACU too - they always brought a good group of purple and white to the visting section.

GMG

SMUt and TCU did it yesterday, and I think it makes them look foolish. If I was one of their alumni I would question their "dumbing down" the schedule.

They are like a non-win or scheduled scrimmage for both. It means nothing if you win them. I'd rather lose by 30 to Tulsa than play a 1-AA. We used to play Abilene Christian to start several seasons, it was their superbowl but meaningless for NT fans.