So What's More Painful To Watch?

TheColonyEagle

Easy, Dodge's defense is the worst thing that has ever happened to college football. Dickey's offense was fine when Cobbs and freshman Jamario were at their best. Dodge's defense has been nothing but embarrassing. Of course, I am still on board with Dodge. He just needs to figure out how to recruit some defensive linemen.

Hey, without out an effective offensive line, it doesn't matter who is coaching.

I hate talking about stuff like this because we're basically talking about kids, but...come on. You just put these guys in a bad situation when the coaching staff doesn't know what to do - i.e. recruit more linemen for depth. I know these guys aren't mailing it in and they feel bad when they lose. But, son of a biscuit-eater...get them some help and depth so that when there are injuries, as we've had, you've got a quality guy to step in and not have all of this shuffling around like we've had this spring, fall, and first two games!

I mean, am I crazy? Am I the only one who sees that the line is...I don't even know how to describe it.

You know what? Forget it. I'm going to bed. This whole thing is ridiculous. It's a sham. I wrote that it was last fall. It just is. I'm done with it until the university gets serious about who runs the athletic department and who gets hired to run the football program. It's just not worth it. If they don't care, I'm wasting my time caring, posting, hoping, etc. 42-10 at half to a "mid-major"...at home. I just can't do it anymore.

You want to know what's the most painful? Reading all these woe-is-me the-end-is-near posts, when the game turned out exactly like most prognosticators were saying it would. Was I hoping for better? Yes! Am I happy? No! But obviously our talent level does not match up to Tulsa's, and the only way to bring it up to theirs is recruiting, and filling a roster with key recruits does not happen overnight. We've got a lot of freshmen getting valuable game experience, and you've got to hope that will help down the line.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

I'm done with it until the university gets serious about who runs the athletic department and who gets hired to run the football program.

Are you kidding? We're not Utah, etc., but look at what has happened since RV took over. And as for coaching...you may have that crystal ball of yours (since you've predicted more accurately about everything than pretty much everybody else here), but most of the Mean Green Nation was pretty excited about TD. The recent admin is on board, but it takes a while to overcome years of general apathy and antagonism all around. I'd like to think that a decade is plenty of time to fix 100 years of "oh yeah, we have sports too"...but in our case, 1/10th of the time it took to get into this predicament isn't quite enough to get us out.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Are you kidding? We're not Utah, etc., but look at what has happened since RV took over. And as for coaching...you may have that crystal ball of yours (since you've predicted more accurately about everything than pretty much everybody else here), but most of the Mean Green Nation was pretty excited about TD. The recent admin is on board, but it takes a while to overcome years of general apathy and antagonism all around. I'd like to think that a decade is plenty of time to fix 100 years of "oh yeah, we have sports too"...but in our case, 1/10th of the time it took to get into this predicament isn't quite enough to get us out.

The problem with this attitude is that other programs are not exactly standing around waiting for us to catch up. We'll be losing to UTSA or UTT in a decade if we keep plodding like this. Of course, that is the legislative agenda of the UT system.

Remember last year, we were all suprised at just how bare Dickey left the cubbard. As disappointed as I am, we have to give it time. It took Dickey how many years to build us up, and then had it torn down in what, 2 years? We ALL have work to do. The team has to take care of the field issues. We as the most die hard fans have to keep our current fan base in tact and still recruit more fans and more excitment. Its hard work, so who is up to the challenge?

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Remember last year, we were all suprised at just how bare Dickey left the cubbard. As disappointed as I am, we have to give it time. It took Dickey how many years to build us up, and then had it torn down in what, 2 years? We ALL have work to do. The team has to take care of the field issues. We as the most die hard fans have to keep our current fan base in tact and still recruit more fans and more excitment. Its hard work, so who is up to the challenge?

I agree, and your encouragement is appreciated. I am just very disappointed in some of the school's decisions about how to foster that growth. It is relatively half-hearted or reserved. The sure result of a half-hearted or reserved effort in this area is embarrassement, because a lot of the competition is not half-hearted or reserved. Can anyone honestly say that the University of North Texas has gone full-bore into developing a competitive football program? My advice is, go full bore, or please, spare us the embarrassment.

Wasn't DeLoach supposed to straighten that out? Oh, wait, he has to have something to work with.

We have, what, 20 scholarships to give? I say bring in 20 linemen. All 20 schollies should go to recruiting linemen for both sides of the ball.

We only have between 12 to 17 scholarships to give (depending upon variables) ...and have already committed 5 of those, 2 of which are OL with another OL enrolled at NT ( a former UH committment whose whos ship was pulled when he was injured in his HS playoff game). I expect the majority of our remaining ships to be DL, DE and LBs. Listen to the next pod cast for encouraging recruiting info.