Beer Question. Which Brand To Drink At Tailgating?

ADLER

If you want to stay North Texas go with Rahr Brewery. I had their beer a couple of weeks ago when I was in Fort Worth. It was pretty good.

If you want a taste of the Texas Hill Country let me suggest the Real Ale Company from Blanco, Texas. They make one of my favorite beers (the Coffee Porter)

http://realalebrewing.com/beer_styles.php

Edited by Chrisattsu

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shiner.

St. Arnold's produces great beer and are located in Houston. Couple of Rice grads started it up a few years ago. They are heavily involved in Houston area charitable events. A recent Texas Highways had an article on TX. breweries and they were highlighted along with Rahr's in Ft. Worth and a couple others.

Lone Star is disgusting.

Keystone Light from my poor college days.

Ahh...microbrew discussion...

If you're looking to stay within the friendly confines of the Great State may I recommend Real Ale Brewing out of Blanco, TX. Their Phoenixx Double Extra Stout Bitter is amazing. Other good Texas brewers: Live Oak Brewing and as previously mentioned Saint Arnold.

If you want to think of me while tailgaiting (Rick)...we Yanks know how to brew some good beer as well. I love what the Brooklyn Brewery is throwing down these days...great summer ale, not too light like a Sam Summer. Otter Creek and Peak Brewing make some delicious Organic Brews...while the Smuttynose seasonals are always different and creative.

However if you want the best microbrews in the states these days you must venture to the Pacific Northwest...most notably...Rogue...these guys make an art of brewing. Pyramid also makes a nice beer and is pretty common nationwide.

Sorry, but no beer is disgusting....some is just way better than others! Just like women!

Wow... I think I have seen some women that were pretty disgusting.

Also have you ever tasted Pearl Light. (if it still exists......awful) ......

Perhaps after enough of them even disgusting women look better......nah.....never..... would pass out before getting to that point..

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I buy into what Kram says about "Buy American" but there is virtually nothing that you can buy these days that is 100% American. The ownership of the manufacturer may be American but they often rely on foreign materials for raw or semi-finished products.

When I drink a Bud in the DFW area I like to think that I am supporting Ben E. Keigh Distributing Company, who has been extremely generous to UNT. Unless and until Inverb pulls the plug on Keith I will continue to drink Bud Light unashamedly.

Well, if Ben E. Keith is still supporting North Texas football, then I would go with Bud Light Lime. It is the ONLY Bud product that I have ever liked.

I have yet to try a Rahr product that wasn't too hoppy. I hate hoppy beer.

Guest JohnDenver

....you must venture to the Pacific Northwest...most notably...Rogue...these guys make an art of brewing. Pyramid also makes a nice beer and is pretty common nationwide.

I don't like Rogue at all. They have all these contrived flavors jammed into the beer that taste like they were added after the fact.

In the past couple weeks I have tried their Chipotle Ale, Chocolate Stout and Brutal Biter.

I give them all thumbs down. Not like I didn't drink them all (hate to waste), but the Chipotle was a huge chore.

As far as a constant microbrew, Redhook gets put on my menu every run to the beer store.

I don't like Rogue at all. They have all these contrived flavors jammed into the beer that taste like they were added after the fact.

In the past couple weeks I have tried their Chipotle Ale, Chocolate Stout and Brutal Biter.

I give them all thumbs down. Not like I didn't drink them all (hate to waste), but the Chipotle was a huge chore.

As far as a constant microbrew, Redhook gets put on my menu every run to the beer store.

The chipotle is certainly bold...I like the flavor, but a pint is about as much of it I can handle. I haven't had the chocolate stout, but I will disagree with you on the bitter...I didn't think those were topical flavors at all. The Hazelnut Brown is really good, but like the chipotle its a pinter...but as a fan of hoppier beer I fell in love with the Dry Hopped...and the black obi goes amazingly with pork belly

Guest JohnDenver

The chipotle is certainly bold...I like the flavor, but a pint is about as much of it I can handle. I haven't had the chocolate stout, but I will disagree with you on the bitter...I didn't think those were topical flavors at all. The Hazelnut Brown is really good, but like the chipotle its a pinter...but as a fan of hoppier beer I fell in love with the Dry Hopped...and the black obi goes amazingly with pork belly

I don't have a problem with Rogue itself. I think their normal hoppy beers are good... I just like their flavored beers I guess. On the side of the Chocolate Stout, it says "Natural Chocolate flavors added." Which made me judge it more harshly. I know when some people brew their coffee stouts, they just do a stout and then pour really strong coffee in before bottling... others pour in espresso(+grounds) in the fermenting stage. I before the flavor to be fermented it. I assumed the chocolate flavor was fermented in as a sugar, but the bottle read otherwise. I started to imagine food flavoring in my beer.. same with the Chipotle and liquid smoke.

I wish we had a constant beer thread going.. It is almost my favorite topic.

The wife and I rode our bikes up to the pizzeria on the corner and had Trois Pistoles and a sausage pizza.

For what you can walk into the store and buy, Dogfish Head 120 IPA is ridiculously good.

The wife and I went to Three Floyds to take tour not too long ago. I thought all their beer was pretty damn good. They said they didn't have any ambition to start shipping to the south though.

This is the strangest Beer I've ever tried.

http://www.chilibeer.com/aboutus.html

......and it really did have a kick.

My friend and her husband brew their own jalepeno beer and holy cow....i can only drink one. It's got some serious burn to it.

I'm with a few others on this topic....I like Rahr beer from the brewery in Ft. Worth. I've only been able to find it at a few beer stores here in the Dallas area though. The Ugly Pug is awesome but I wouldn't drink it till it got a bit colder out. Has that chocolate taste to it.

Natural Light?

Anheuser-Busch's best known beers include brands such as Budweiser, Busch (originally known as Busch Bavarian Beer) and Michelob families, Bud Light, and Natural Light.

Since the original post in this thread I have discovered Shiner Bohemian Black Lager. It's not exactly a tailgate type of beer, but an outstanding quiet evening beverage. Similar aroma to Michelob Dark with a more robust flavor.

Well, this week I'll be heading to Kansas where the locals drink their beer Red (mixed with tomato juice). No exactly my first choice, but I'll probably have one just for tradition's sake.

Edited by ADLER

Anheuser-Busch's best known beers include brands such as Budweiser, Busch (originally known as Busch Bavarian Beer) and Michelob families, Bud Light, and Natural Light.

Since the original post in this thread I have discovered Shiner Bohemian Black Lager. It's not exactly a tailgate type of beer, but an outstanding quiet evening beverage. Similar aroma to Michelob Dark with a more robust flavor.

Well, this week I'll be heading to Kansas where the locals drink their beer Red (mixed with tomato juice). No exactly my first choice, but I'll probably have one just for tradition's sake.

Red beer...ugh. Note the recent marketing towards this trend. Just have a RedEye (beer, tomato or clamato, and a raw egg) and go all the way.

I'm confused about a debate involving the "proper" beer to drink while tailgating...isn't the point of boozing in public to be entirely improper?

Red beer...ugh. Note the recent marketing towards this trend. Just have a RedEye (beer, tomato or clamato, and a raw egg) and go all the way.

I'm confused about a debate involving the "proper" beer to drink while tailgating...isn't the point of boozing in public to be entirely improper?

Yeah, I'll probably have a Redeye beer, but I'm really not that crazy about the egg.

As far as tailgating beer, my preference is for a ice cold lighter type of beer when it's still hot outside.

oh, and go vote for North Texas (click here)

Edited by ADLER

Here's a topic of discussion:

What beer did you drink in college and what do you drink now?

College: Miller Lite and if short on funds, Keystone Light. Tried the old "white can with BEER written in black" and Black Label when hammered and couldn't stomach either one.

Now: Shiner, Dos Equis, Black and Tans and like to try different micro brews. I don't drink near as much as I used to. I really prefer Crown Royal.

Here's a topic of discussion:

What beer did you drink in college and what do you drink now?

College: Miller Lite and if short on funds, Keystone Light. Tried the old "white can with BEER written in black" and Black Label when hammered and couldn't stomach either one.

Now: Shiner, Dos Equis, Black and Tans and like to try different micro brews. I don't drink near as much as I used to. I really prefer Crown Royal.

Then: Stroh's, Natty.

Now: Enjoy many micros, but my everyday 'cool-down/5PM' beer is Miller HL.