Best Place To Get A Good Meal Before/after A Game?

Harry

I could not tell you how many chicken fried steaks I ate have eaten at the Charcoal Grill. I had forgotten about that place until you brought it up. It was cheap and great. I was friends with the owners of the NY subway way back. One was local (Ted) and the other was actaully from the NY area. He stayed the owner for quite some time. I got a 13 which was pastrami. I lived in the Sig Ep house back in the early 80's. They would have my sandwich started before I made it through the turnstile.

Another popular place was the Cozy Oaks on University. Nemo's sub shop was good as well as Godfather's pizza. Denton county Hamburgers always rocked. They pick up was a great place to take a first date, preferably a new freshman.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best pregame is always at any tailgating tent in Mean Green Nation

A few of my favorite places in Denton are: Yummy's on University, next to Blockbuster, Texas Roadhouse of course, and Riprocks....

We usually tailgate in the lot, but if you are traveling south on 35 to Denton, try Wimpys in Sanger. Great Hambergers.

I really need to check this Central Grill place out. As for the Texas Pickup, I seem to remember sitting at a plastic table on plastic patio chair placed literally in the middle of a parking space! I could hear the pregame buzz coming from Fouts though, and the food was good.

I'd also like to say that I love this thread every year.

Parker Brothers > Prairie House....but I could've had a bad meal @ Prairie House though

The Prairie House has a great Buffalo burger.

I miss the Pickup very much as much as I do the State Clubs' chicken fingers. Those were the days.

Where is Central Grill?

Rick

I guess I am going to have to try Central Grill - I had never heard of it till someone brought it up on here.

My wife still laments the day the Texas Pickup burned down and she went to UT! She loved their chicken tenders which were some of the best I had ever had. It was in a great location too, you felt like you were in the midst of the campus.

• 3 weeks later...

greenminer

Rick, I believe the Central Grill is the newer (relatively speaking) place next to the Hooya on Ave C. I went there on a couple occasions last season and was very impressed, not only by the food, but by the fact that this new hub has fantastic UNT/Denton memorabilia hanging all over the place....

...coupled with their great service, I can't say a bad word about it. Always great to find a place that embraces all things Denton and wears it on the sleeve.

Central Grill is the best place to go....and is only 2 min from the dorms!.....the food is great, if you have never had one of thier burgers you have to try them just for the homemade buns (best i have ever had) thier wings rock also and they have i think 40Cent wing nights on wed....they have 2 flat screen tv's with sports on 24/7....never been thier during a game but im sure they show all the UNT games....and their is UNT stuff all over the walls....and the dude who owns it....Nicest guy ever and is alwyas thier....he proboly be the one taking the order....god i wish i was in denton this summer instead of arkansas...i want central grill now!

Well, I have to add to this thread, and I completely agree with you two. The Central Grill is by far one of my favorites now. GGII, NT80, SUMG and myself stopped in early yesterday. The Sweet, sourdough buns on their hamburgers are amazing, and they have them in three different flavors. They have a great selection of beer, their fountain drinks are superb, they have 20 flavors of chicken wings, and the four I sampled yesterday were excellent, and the service FIRST RATE. And as has been mentioned, the place is done up in Mean Green sports. In fact, outside right now they have hung a huge banner that states something to the effect of "Where the Mean Green Nation eats". They have gotten a lot of university uniforms they have collected hanging up, quite a bit of memorabilia including a Joe Green autographed jersey in a frame and a 2007 autographed conference championship basketball that JJ donated. They even have the fraternity and sororities logos from NT imprinted on the drop ceiling tiles overhead. This place is first rate all the way. I highly suggest it for your next trip up.

Rick

When I had breaks between classes I would go to Riprocks for lunch. They have really good sandwiches and burgers, and their daily lunch combo of sandwich/burger, chips/fries and a soft drink is only like $4 or something like that. Can't beat that at all.

I also really like Sweetwater's food, especially their catfish.

Edited by e-bone ver2.awesome

greenminer

Well, I have to add to this thread, and I completely agree with you two. The Central Grill is by far one of my favorites now. GGII, NT80, SUMG and myself stopped in early yesterday. The Sweet, sourdough buns on their hamburgers are amazing, and they have them in three different flavors. They have a great selection of beer, their fountain drinks are superb, they have 20 flavors of chicken wings, and the four I sampled yesterday were excellent, and the service FIRST RATE. And as has been mentioned, the place is done up in Mean Green sports. In fact, outside right now they have hung a huge banner that states something to the effect of "Where the Mean Green Nation eats". They have gotten a lot of university uniforms they have collected hanging up, quite a bit of memorabilia including a Joe Green autographed jersey in a frame and a 2007 autographed conference championship basketball that JJ donated. They even have the fraternity and sororities logos from NT imprinted on the drop ceiling tiles overhead. This place is first rate all the way. I highly suggest it for your next trip up.

Rick

I second that motion. Central Grill is great. And the meal was even better since I enjoyed it with three great UNT fans.