Benson Says Nt Still Has Standing Invite

How'd you get into the locker room travis? Anyway, there have been quite a few changes since you visited in 2005. Brand new field-turf (this year) and complete locker-room renovation. Scoreboard is on the way for 2009 with rumors of luxury suites. This Dooley guy knows what he's doing.

Dooley should be careful what he says while he's doing.

I enjoyed the visit to La Tech's stadium the last time NT played there, although the campus and Ruston both looked dated. The game itself was a bad experience (DD coached a horrible gameplan). Tech's stadium's seating is taller, all sideline seating, no endzones, and no track. I didn't like the exterior bracework and it has been expanded by sections several times but still felt bigger inside and better than Fouts overall. Most all Tech folks were friendly and we even got to go inside to see Tech's basketball arena. SuperPit wins that contest.

Edited by NT80

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the most recent numbers, if you compare travel costs v/s conference pay-out, Tech finished ahead of ULL. Those costs would go even further down if Tech had a real travel partner (UNT). Also, UNT's travel costs would be less than Tech's as they don't have to travel as far to get to a real airport.

I saw an article where they purported to show that the WAC was a better financial deal.

However....

1. The representative year (2000) for what it would be like to be in the Sun Belt, Tech traveled to Monroe, Tulsa, Middle Tennessee (pretty fair so far), Auburn, Miami (still pretty fair), Kansas State (OK) and HAWAII (yeah Hawaii is really typical of Sun Belt travel).

2. The representative year for WAC travel (2002) they traveled to Boise, San Jose, Clemson, Texas A&M, RICE, and SMU, so in the "typical" year used as an example they traveled to two conference games that aren't even half the distance to the closest WAC opponent.

3. In 2005, 2006, and 2007 La.Tech received $125,000 EACH YEAR as its share of the admission fees of NMSU, USU and Idaho.

4. Yeah the WAC got a good share of BCS money but it took Hawaii winning five games by a TD or less to pull it off, just one game goes the other way and there is no added BCS share. Even if Hawaii's schedule goes down like it did, if BYU doesn't get called for pass interference against UCLA on a play that began after the 25 second clock had expired, the Cougars quite possibly beat UCLA and don't turn the ball over 4 times in the second half against Tulsa, BYU finishes undefeated and ahead of Hawaii in the BCS standings leaving the Warriors playing in the Hawaii Bowl. You can't count on the BCS money because that's how thin the margin is between getting the money and not getting it.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictu...oe_aillet.shtml

It still looks better than Fouts.

No track and better view of the action on the field, not the sidelines

Personally, I've never been a fan of JAS at La Tech.

First, I have SERIOUS doubts that it's capacity is 30k. I compare it to high school stadium Mesquite Memorial that only seats 20k. You cant tell me the little metal sections they added to La Tech (which are covered by tarps) pushed capacity to 30k. I think whoever did the counting fudged the numbers.

Given my druthers... I'd take Mesquite Memorial. It's a much nicer stadium than JAS, has a modern scoreboard w/ video screen, better sightlines and probably seats more.

mesquite_memorial.jpg

JAS was a good stadium until the early 90's when the construction boom took off. Fouts I'm afraid was out-dated about 30 years earlier, but each was built with a different purpose in mind.

Fouts is in a way a plus for UNT, because it will be an easier sell to explain replacing it. I wish we could replace Indian ASU Stadium because there isn't enough room on the sidelines, the pressbox is too small, the lockerrooms are on the wrong sides forcing teams to cross each other entering and exiting, lighting is insufficient, and the steel sections don't match the concrete but its not bad enough to focus donor attention.

I actually kinda liked ASU stadium when I saw it on TV last year...then again, comparing it to Fouts

It's not bad, it could be better but it was designed to be our transition from Division II to Division I facility in the early 70's and needs have changed.

The worst thing that happened was we started down the road just as inflation took off we ended up shaving some of the back rows off and didn't run the stands to the end lines instead stopping at the goal lines. That made it 16,000 seats rather than 20,000.

The best thing that happened was we started getting ready just as inflation took off and we ditched the track from the original plans.

I say if the chance arises for UNT again to take it. What do you say?

No. No, a thousand times "NO"

The WAC offers us nothing that we don't have in the SBC, and it will drive up travel costs. We would see only marginally better home games, especially if Boise State or Hawaii leaves.

I like the idea of being able to go to away games, I don't know about you guys, but it's getting harder and harder to travel. I just don't think the wac is a good fit geographically.

I as well as many of my friends would prefer to go to Boise to watch us play Boise St. or Fresno to watch Fresno St. or Nevada to watch us play basketball or even go to Utah St. to watch us pile drive Dickey FAR and ABOVE ever going to Florida to watch either Florida Atlantic or Florida International.

If we play better more recognized opponents we would have a much better traveling crowd. I will be heading down to watch the Rice game this year....but I will not be heading to Louisiana to watch either Ulamo or Ulala.

I as well as many of my friends would prefer to go to Boise to watch us play Boise St. or Fresno to watch Fresno St. or Nevada to watch us play basketball or even go to Utah St. to watch us pile drive Dickey FAR and ABOVE ever going to Florida to watch either Florida Atlantic or Florida International.

If we play better more recognized opponents we would have a much better traveling crowd. I will be heading down to watch the Rice game this year....but I will not be heading to Louisiana to watch either Ulamo or Ulala.

Awesome! Would you mind giving me a short term loan for the fuel and/or plane tickets to reach this exotic locales?

I as well as many of my friends would prefer to go to Nevada to watch us play basketball

Why would you go way out there to see a team that didn't make the NCAA Tournament, didn't make the NIT but did lose first round of the first CBI when you had a Sun Belt team that made the Sweet 16 come into your gym?

Edited by Arkstfan

tired of people saying this but back when they had the chance they didn't do it.

i went to nevada and i went to boise and i can count on one hand the fans not related to the players who were there.

oh yeah, didn't see you at the arizona state game either.

hell, until we got good no one even made the trip to nmsu.

we are in the sun belt, either support it or bitch about it on message boards.

there, at least i gave you and out.

and seriously, if you can't have fun at ulala, you just can't have fun.

Yeah, I was gonna say. Anyone who prefers Rice over ULL has never been to either.

Rick

Interesting to think that there is a sort of "set psychology" (for lack of a better term) regarding these teams. A trip to Rice or Nevada seems so much more appealing because they are in a higher rated conference, rather than actually trying the trips out and simply having a great time in LaLa. It really forces you to step back and think what is important on these road trips, and why you are a college football fan.

Kind of like some of these sports columnists who just practically cut and paste the same crap across all the major networks, because it is assumed common knowledge, rather than actually going to a practice and seeing some of the players work out?

Guest GrayEagleOne

If, indeed, we are still on Benson's standing invite list, it has to be for one reason....people/market. In 2006 the U.S. Census Bureau estimated Denton County at 584,000+, which would be the fourth largest county in the WAC. Add to that a portion of the seventh largest TV market and you can see why we are attractive to the WAC. Also it would help balance out one of their least populous/smaller market members at Louisiana Tech, since we are one of the four or five closest FBS members to them.

It's irony. We didn't get picked in the 16-team WAC because he already had two teams in this market (TCU and SMU) and now because he didn't choose us, he has none.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

Here's bettin' you would never go to any of these locals for a game.

Glad you are coming down to Houston for the Rice game, but you are in for a surprise. If 18,000 to 20,000 in Fouts pisses you off, wait until you come to Houston, sit in the 80,000 seat stadium or a small private school. You could throw tortillas all day and not hit a soul. BTW, ULaLa is much better than Houston. I don't think Rice fans tailgate.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Here's bettin' you would never go to any of these locals for a game.

Glad you are coming down to Houston for the Rice game, but you are in for a surprise. If 18,000 to 20,000 in Fouts pisses you off, wait until you come to Houston, sit in the 80,000 seat stadium or a small private school. You could throw tortillas all day and not hit a soul. BTW, ULaLa is much better than Houston. I don't think Rice fans tailgate.

I've heard that they've put a tarp or cover over the upper decks and now list the capacity at 40,000. Can anyone from Houston confirm that?

I've heard that they've put a tarp or cover over the upper decks and now list the capacity at 40,000. Can anyone from Houston confirm that?

Rice Stadium - Wikipedia

In 2006, the end zones seats were covered with tarps, reducing seating capacity to 47,000. However, it can easily be reconfigured to its original capacity.

Some interesting trivia:

"The current Rice Stadium replaced Rice Field (now Rice Track/Soccer Stadium)[2]. The older stadium seated fewer than 37,000 fans."

"As originally built, it seated 70,000 fans — more than the total number of Rice's living and deceased alumni. Rice Stadium was built before professional football came to Houston, and 70,000 fans might be expected to attend a college football game there."

"might" being the operative word...

Rice Stadium - Wikipedia

"The current Rice Stadium replaced Rice Field (now Rice Track/Soccer Stadium)[2]. The older stadium seated fewer than 37,000 fans."

"As originally built, it seated 70,000 fans — more than the total number of Rice's living and deceased alumni. Rice Stadium was built before professional football came to Houston, and 70,000 fans might be expected to attend a college football game there."

"might" being the operative word...

Back in the 40s and 50s Rice had good attendance at their games. They also had a very good football team. Then the NCAA required the team attend the same classes as other students and most of Rice's team at the time could not keep up with the work. Remember, until the mid-80s Rice had been in more Cotton Bowls than Tx A&M.