Meanrob Questions Scheduling Of Lsu Game

meanrob

Hold out your cup, here comes my pitcher of green kool-aid!

Just a round of things I believe:

I believe that we would have to be very lucky to run the table, even if the schedule was loaded with cupcakes.

If you want to know where you stand, you might as well play the best to find out.

A schedule loaded with cupcakes does not earn respect; I would rather be beaten soundly by the best than whip up on Winnetka Brownie Troop 37 and have people snicker for playing them.

I believe that our men are as good as theirs; their players didn't become superhuman the moment they signed an LOI with BCS U.

Yes, the big programs are deeper in top-quality personnel but $hit happens during a game; the ball sometimes takes strange bounces and even the very best miss assignments.

Money talks, but not during those sixty minutes of fighting and winning personal battles on the field, mano a mano.

I believe that on some Saturday before I die the Mean Green will shock the world! Why not some Saturday THIS year?

I Believe In The Mean Green!!

Hold out your cup, here comes my pitcher of green kool-aid!

Just a round of things I believe:

I believe that we would have to be very lucky to run the table, even if the schedule was loaded with cupcakes.

If you want to know where you stand, you might as well play the best to find out.

A schedule loaded with cupcakes does not earn respect; I would rather be beaten soundly by the best than whip up on Winnetka Brownie Troop 37 and have people snicker for playing them.

I believe that our men are as good as theirs; their players didn't become superhuman the moment they signed an LOI with BCS U.

Yes, the big programs are deeper in top-quality personnel but $hit happens during a game; the ball sometimes takes strange bounces and even the very best miss assignments.

Money talks, but not during those sixty minutes of fighting and winning personal battles on the field, mano a mano.

I believe that on some Saturday before I die the Mean Green will shock the world! Why not some Saturday THIS year?

I Believe In The Mean Green!!

With all due respect Eagle MBA, but you have O.D.'d on the green juice. Last time I checked, there were FBS teams somewhere in the middle. Sure the $750K is a good sum of moola, but Nt has to get beyond scheduling goliaths such as LSU. This is not a knock on our players, but face it, LSU's scout team is probably full of top picks. And their second and third teams, well, let's just not go there. If we need the money (which we probably do) then I'd rather schedule two or three teams that might pay us $250K each that might give us a better opportunity to compete and possibly win. Okla State, Iowa State, Miss State, Utah, etc. But LSU? Good grief.

I see and acknowledge your points, Deep. It IS unfortunate for us that we catch LSU at this particular time. Clayton Williams once made a remark about what to do when rape is inevitable. :)

I'll have another round of Kool-Aid!

I am right there with you EagleMBA. If any coach can shock the world, it

will be Coach Dodge! I do expect to see a great upset soon!

I remember back in the 70's, the mighty Houston Cougers with Bill Yoeman's

veer offense, came to Texas Stadium to play NTSU. Houston was a 28pt

favorite. Coach Haden Fry and his team ran up and down the field all

night long. Final NTSU 30, Houston 0, as in zip, nada, nothing.

One of the greatest NT games that I ever witnessed!

I also remember the sports report from a Dallas radio station on the

way home. The sports reporter was reading off football scores then

came to the NTSU-Houston score. The radio guy said, and I will never

forget this, "This must be a mistake, North Texas 30, Houston 0. The

correct score is Houston 30, NTSU 0" Then a minute later, the same

guy comes back with a correction announcement, "the correct score

is NTSU 30 and Houston 0" "How did that happen?"

Greatness!

I will always believe in the Mean Green!

Guest 97and03

Ok, so here is where I think you are wrong. Boise St and Hawaii both made it to the BCS bowls without playing any of these Top 10 teams. In the current currency of respect in college football, making it to a BCS is the lottery (figuratively and literally). How much love did both of those teams get? A lot.

And though people might have discounted their success somewhat due to the cupcake schedule, they still made the big payday and one of them even brought the prettiest girl to the dance.

When Utah made it, they did play 3 BCS (AQ) teams - A&M, UNC, and Arizona - but they were all in what I would consider 'down' years.

The toughest challenge Boise St. faced in 2006 was Oregon St. And Hawaii's toughest foe was conferences mate Boise St (Washingon was their big OOC game but at 4-7 wasn't too much of a challenge. Neither was Charleston Southern or Northern Colorado).

So there does not seem to be too much of a prestige or respect reason to not play cupcakes.

I guess it comes down to money in our case.

I see and acknowledge your points, Deep. It IS unfortunate for us that we catch LSU at this particular time. Clayton Williams once made a remark about what to do when rape is inevitable. :)

I know, what an idiot. He would have made a good governor...maybe. I think LSU is going to take advantage of us but hopefully nobody get's hurt. I'm still of the mindset to hope we can at least impress the country with a good showing.

Amen. With the talent we currently have at the offensive skill positions, if we're healthy in the OL and play Dodgeball to have fun you never know how many points we could put on the board. We could get a couple breaks, turnovers or defensive stops. You never know! If we were able to put up some points and respectable offensive numbers on them we would probably get some props.

Troy anyone????????

By the way, LSU finished the '03 season 13-1 with their only trip-up a 19-7 loss to Florida.

Rick

Troy usually plays these teams very well--something to prove. It only falls apart when they have to play SBC teams that they don't get motivated for. Reminds me of the Corky days at UNT--play D-I teams very tough, lose to Southland teams that were less talented.