Seriously?

Eagle-96

Shanice Stephens has not coached one game yet. She has not even been "officially" hired yet. She hasn't met the players. She hasn't run her first practice. She hasn't been on her first recruiting trip. She hasn't held her first press conference yet. She hasn't even had the opportunity to tell us what her plans are for the program yet. She probably HAS read this board or at least heard the comments some have been posting regarding how bad of a hire she is. If you don't like the hire, then slam RV, Nancy Lieberman, the board, the search committee, anyone but Coach Stephens. Why don't we just accept the fact that she, by all accounts, will be the next coach of The University of North Texas Lady Eagles basketball team and embrace her as one of the family. Why is that concept so hard to understand?

Congrats Coach Stephens and welcome aboard!!!

Edited by Eagle-96

Shanice Stephens has not coached one game yet. She has not even been "officially" hired yet. She hasn't met the players. She hasn't run her first practice. She hasn't been on her first recruiting trip. She hasn't held her first press conference yet. She hasn't even had the opportunity to tell us what her plans are for the program yet. She probably HAS read this board or at least heard the comments some have been posting regarding how bad of a hire she is. If you don't like the hire, then slam RV, Nancy Lieberman, the board, the search committee, anyone but Coach Stephens. Why don't we just accept the fact that she, by all accounts, will be the next coach of The University of North Texas Lady Eagles basketball team and embrace her as one of the family. Why is that concept so hard to understand?

Congrats Coach Stephens and welcome aboard!!!

Co-signed.

Right with you.

I bet Stephens has barely gotten done calling mom, dad, and the relatives to let them know the GOOD NEWS. She for sure hasn't even started packing bags let alone finishing her first practice. Lay off and welcome her aboard.

You know what's got me mad? I'm betting that those of you are ticked off about her hire probably still expect her to be happy to be here and what's more, expect to still do a good job. Way to be supportive.

Congrats Coach Stephens and welcome to the Mean Green Family! lets take wbb to a new level here at UNT!

I'm overwhelmed with the negative thinking that some people on this board represent.

I agree with the positive thoughts concerning the new coach. I welcome her to NT

and apologize for those few negative people who probably have never achieved

any level of success but feel that they have all of the answers.

I understand a fan having a favorite to be hired for the WBB coaching position, but,

when you blast a person that you don't even know and you haven't heard her

vision for NT, it just show ignorance.

I, for the first time ever, will buy WBB tickets for next year and hope that NT gives

her every chance in the world to prove wrong those few closed minded people who

can only talk down about her.

Congrats Coach Stephens and welcome to the Mean Green family.

While she wasn't my 1st ( Capps) or even 2nd choice ( Vic) , I'm willing to give her a chance and hold off negativty...for now :huh: It's not like we can get much worse ..... is it ???

If everyone just wants to look at records and thinks that TD was a great hire , look up his record at Yoe,Smith & Ridge before SLC.

It's funnny , NO ONE GAVE A DAMN ABOUT WBB before , now we are all up in arms over this. If this hire happended the first week of football versus K-State , nobody would even notice.

Edited by NT03

hasn't even had the opportunity to tell us what her plans are for the program yet. She probably HAS read this board or at least heard the comments some have been posting regarding how bad of a hire she is.

Well if any coach gives a rat's ass about this board then they are not focused enough on their coaching duties. Who cares what a bunch of fanatics say about a coach, she needs to prove all the naysayers wrong and that will be the ultimate FU.

Any coach that ever walks onto a field, court, track or whatever for NT will have my support. They (the coach) must DO SOMETHING wrong for me to ever critize them or not back them 100%. I've enjoyed WBB over the past few years and will continue to enjoy and support them. Good luck Coach Stephens and turn this program around.

Seriously! Would it surprise any of you that there's still a good amount of folks who still disagree with the hiring of Coach Dodge? I'm not one of them but it's very true. I will support who ever shows up to coach our ladies basketball team this November, and at this point it's still a toss up as to who that may be since we don't know who Coach Stephens will hire as her assistant just yet to take over for her during her maternity leave. :rolleyes: But I am still questioning the hiring of anyone over Donna Capps as I would love to know why that gift of an opportunity wasn't good enough for us? That doesn't make me a negative, thankless fan who's turned his back on the next coach. It makes me a concerned fan that is interested in the leadership of this program

We have been very close, at times in the past, but I hope I never see the day when our fanbase decides it just doesn't give a rats ass about who's hired and who's turned away at North Texas.

Rick

I will support who ever shows up to coach our ladies basketball team this November, and at this point it's still a toss up as to who that may be since we don't know who Coach Stephens will hire as her assistant just yet to take over for her during her maternity leave. :rolleyes:

Her baby was born last November.

Nah, as long as we can make at least two NCAA bids within the next 7 years then it will all be Good and all Green.

Rick

Now now Rick, let's not be to demanding. We have to remember that things like "nobody cares about women's basketball anyway", "we have to save money when we hire a leader for a revenue sport", and "have we filled our quota of female/minority coaches yet?" are vital and relevant issues. Wheter we hire someone with a proven track record in our own back yard is secondary. <_<

Of course I should be careful. Apparently questioning the "why" of this hire (or more specifically the "why not" when it comes to Capps) means that I'm saying I dislike Shanice Stephens...sure, that makes sense. :blink:

Nah, as long as we can make at least two NCAA bids within the next 7 years then it will all be Good and all Green.

Rick

Yes, it's a guanrantee that Capps would've duplicated her success here. :rolleyes:

Listen, you wanted Capps. I wanted Capps. More than 75% of the fanbase probably wanted Capps. You can whine and bitch and question God Almighty if you choose. I'm gonna give Stephens a f'n chance before I nit pick EVERTYTHING about her. She has more college experience than St. Dodge you know, and yet everyone questions that. She has kids...but that's never a question that gets asked of male coaches.

I am on board with Stephens now...no use crying over spilt milk. I don't expect her to fail BECAUSE I TRY NEVER TO EXPECT THAT...but if she does, in 4-5 years we'll try and hit paydirt.

Yes, it's a guanrantee that Capps would've duplicated her success here. :rolleyes:

Listen, you wanted Capps. I wanted Capps. More than 75% of the fanbase probably wanted Capps. You can whine and bitch and question God Almighty if you choose. I'm gonna give Stephens a f'n chance before I nit pick EVERTYTHING about her. She has more college experience than St. Dodge you know, and yet everyone questions that. She has kids...but that's never a question that gets asked of male coaches.

I am on board with Stephens now...no use crying over spilt milk. I don't expect her to fail BECAUSE I TRY NEVER TO EXPECT THAT...but if she does, in 4-5 years we'll try and hit paydirt.

Well put.

Stevens' Bio

Looks like she was brought in for her skill at recruiting and defense.

Seriously! Would it surprise any of you that there's still a good amount of folks who still disagree with the hiring of Coach Dodge? I'm not one of them but it's very true. I will support who ever shows up to coach our ladies basketball team this November, and at this point it's still a toss up as to who that may be since we don't know who Coach Stephens will hire as her assistant just yet to take over for her during her maternity leave. :rolleyes: But I am still questioning the hiring of anyone over Donna Capps as I would love to know why that gift of an opportunity wasn't good enough for us? That doesn't make me a negative, thankless fan who's turned his back on the next coach. It makes me a concerned fan that is interested in the leadership of this program

We have been very close, at times in the past, but I hope I never see the day when our fanbase decides it just doesn't give a rats ass about who's hired and who's turned away at North Texas.

Rick

Great post.

Rick

Not saying you, or anyone else, is a bad fan nor am I saying that you shouldn't question the hiring of a coach. We will never know what happened in the interviews. We will never know whether money, gender, or race came into play because nobody in the position to make those decisions is ever going to admit that those issues had an impact in the decision. I hope race or gender wasn't an issue but if they were, it isn't Coach Stephens fault. She didn't hire herself. If they were an issue than I am deeply dissapointed in the administration. My only goal with my post was to rally some positive support for our new basketball coach and to make her feel welcome in light of some of the dissaproval with her hiring. Nothing more, Nothing less.

Edited by Eagle-96

It was a hell of a larger probability to happen with Capps than any of the other candidates. And I'm not bitching and whining, just questioning, just as I did when Parker was hired. No, you'll know when I'm bitching about something. School colors, Hand sign being changed, scrappy being taken away from Talons etc etc. I'm certain you remember those times?

Rick