Collected Wisdom:

KingDL1

After the 1981 season, Greene retired and was quickly enshrined into the NFL Hall of Fame. He was also inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame. Not only that, the nickname of his alma mater North Texas changed to the "Mean Green” in honor of its most famous alum.

I shouldn't be surprised at this statement. Many North Texas alumni also believe this.

After the 1981 season, Greene retired and was quickly enshrined into the NFL Hall of Fame. He was also inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame. Not only that, the nickname of his alma mater North Texas changed to the "Mean Green” in honor of its most famous alum.

I shouldn't be surprised at this statement. Many North Texas alumni also believe this.

Just typical of the modern media, why research a story when they can make up one that fits their agenda.

You know, I have always wondered where the nickname came from. I didn't think that it was after Mean Joe Greene, but it is so close that it is easy to think that. What is the actual origin of the name?

You know, I have always wondered where the nickname came from. I didn't think that it was after Mean Joe Greene, but it is so close that it is easy to think that. What is the actual origin of the name?

The defense when Joe Greene played was called the Mean Green, referring to the school color "Green" not Joe Greene. Joe Greene got the moniker "Mean Joe Greene" in the pros not college. Hey, but it does make a good story.

It was sometime in the mid to late 60's and North Texas was in the midst of a very hard fought game (opponent unknown). The whole North Texas defense already had a reputation as being very tough and aggressive, and when the offense scored to go ahead in the game, it was up to the defense to "seal the deal". In the press box that evening was the North Texas SID Fred Graham and his wife Sydney Graham....both North Texas graduates. The story goes that Sydney, in her excitement over the game, and in her zeal to give encouragement to the defense, shouted something like "Come on Mean Green" or "Let's go Mean Green". She liked the nickname so much that she pestered her husband to start using it in his press releases. Fred Graham remembers that, at the time, he thought the nickname sounded a bit corny. But he eventually relented, and the rest is history.

It may be that Sydney's idea to give the North Texas defensive unit it's own nickname came from one of the LSU traditions regarding their defense. Here's the story from Wikipedia.

Chinese Bandits – Whenever LSU forces a turnover or gets the ball back via a defensive stop, the LSU band plays the Chinese Bandit tune. The entire stadium bows to the defense while the tune is played. The term "Chinese Bandits" originated as the nickname that LSU Coach Paul Dietzel gave to the defensive unit he organized in 1958, which helped LSU to win its first national championship. The next season, the 1959 Chinese Bandit defense held their opponents to an average of only 143.2 yards per game. No LSU defense since has done better.

Just typical of the modern media, why research a story when they can make up one that fits their agenda.

"Their agenda"?

How about this, a writer is writing about a defensive tackle of the nickname" " Mean Joe Green." Who played his college ball for a school who's moniker is the Mean Green.

Lets say for a second that this writer begins his research. He goes to the school's athletic website. He begins searching for the link that will tell him about the history of UNT football. His screen saver then engages, as 8 minutes goes by and he still can't find it. He shakes the mouse, and clicks "Traditions," thinking: Ah, what the hell. And it ain't there either.

So what's a writer to do? Post his question on a fan message board?

If the university really wanted to get the right information and images about UNT out; they would do a better job of it (and for the money we spent on branding, all the information should be out there.)

It was sometime in the mid to late 60's and North Texas was in the midst of a very hard fought game (opponent unknown). The whole North Texas defense already had a reputation as being very tough and aggressive, and when the offense scored to go ahead in the game, it was up to the defense to "seal the deal". In the press box that evening was the North Texas SID Fred Graham and his wife Sydney Graham....both North Texas graduates. The story goes that Sydney, in her excitement over the game, and in her zeal to give encouragement to the defense, shouted something like "Come on Mean Green" or "Let's go Mean Green". She liked the nickname so much that she pestered her husband to start using it in his press releases. Fred Graham remembers that, at the time, he thought the nickname sounded a bit corny. But he eventually relented, and the rest is history.

Thanks! I feel alot better now knowing where the name came from. I feel like I should have known that anyway, but at least I do now

I can never debate "who is the greatest (football/basketball/baseball) player EVER. The games have such a long history and has changed over the years.

I will agree that Joe Green is "one of the best" or "best one from the 1970's" or something like that. I would even say "Top 5" or "Top 10" ever DE.

But picking only one "Best Ever" is a dis-service to those past players who played in a slower, run oriented game.

"Their agenda"?

How about this, a writer is writing about a defensive tackle of the nickname" " Mean Joe Green." Who played his college ball for a school who's moniker is the Mean Green.

Lets say for a second that this writer begins his research. He goes to the school's athletic website. He begins searching for the link that will tell him about the history of UNT football. His screen saver then engages, as 8 minutes goes by and he still can't find it. He shakes the mouse, and clicks "Traditions," thinking: Ah, what the hell. And it ain't there either.

If the university really wanted to get the right information and images about UNT out; they would do a better job of it (and for the money we spent on branding, all the information should be out there.)

I don't disagree that the University would be better served if they would make such information more readily available.

But for an assosiated press member to make up a piece of his story to add a touch to it, is not right either. If he was unsure he could have left that part out.

"Their agenda"?

Exactly. Shouldn't surprise anyone here.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Also, not sure if it's true or not but one of you told me one time that the first time Joe Greene was ever called "Mean" Joe Greene in print was by a Pittsburgh newpaper reporter during Joe Greene's rookie season. Can anyone substantiate that?

Rick

I can't but have some old alum magazines around here somewhere from that year thast I may locate someday.. I am almost certain he had that name prior to being in the NFL. I even think the term Mean Green for the football team was used some (very rarely though) prior to his coming to NT.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66